How was this Wowhead article approved for publishing?

Trust me, that’s not how Raiimir is using that word. And even if it were, the lore does not say that.

There continues to be no reason for Sean Copeland to bring up illiteracy at all, that should never have even been brought up.

3 Likes

Oh yeah true, I bet most of Westfall is illiterate, hell they don’t even have homes. The defias was word of mouth not propaganda posters

1 Like

Was that part tone deaf of them? Sure. But, Shadow rising had the kingdom of Stormwind have a population that was not all literate. It even specifically mentioned they had to give their response to Anduin’s messenger so they would write it down.

Anyway with the rewrite, maybe that is exactly what will happen. Who knows.

Oh and for people doubting if this book was available:

https://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Exploring-Azeroth-Kalimdor/dp/1950366618

You can see the reviews have “verified pucheses” on them.

1 Like

Not only have they continually nerfed shaman but now they can’t even read

Yes, it literally is. They live in huts, fish and hunt. They are a primitive tribal society of low caste tribes. They never evolved beyond their tribal traditions, because they’ve mostly been prevented from doing so by their rulers. Only Zandalar is a high caste in their culture and they rule over the other troll tribes.

The lore is very clear all Troll tribes are low caste and subserviant to Zandalar which hoards all the knowledge and power.

I was trying to think of something racist they’ve done with the tauren lately but I think they forgot they existed again.

And yet it was, because Zekhan is illiterate (or at least he was).

And that’s fine. Literacy isn’t common in the warcraft universe. We have lore supporting that going back to before WoW even existed as a game.

That’s the main problem, and it is compounded by the continued tone deafness towards the horde races and their inspirations.

2 Likes

Stop. Just…stop doing what you are doing. Please.

1 Like

It’s really stupid for him to illiterate as an adult when he was born and raised in the Horde. Do Horde not have schools now either?

1 Like

He was born and raised in Sen’jin village. I doubt Oggrimar’s school system is even good either, or obligatory.

I mean, likely not for the vast majority of the horde. I don’t really see that as a major priority when Oggrimar’s been under constant attack since its founding.

I won’t, because it’s confirmed as part of the lore.

If you wish you remain ignorant, that’s fine, but your wilful ignorance is not going to prevent me from sharing facts about the story.

No actually it’s not.

Again, literacy is not common in the entire warcraft universe. Education is afforded to the wealthy, the privileged and the powerful. If you’re not among one of those three groups, chances are you would not have learned to read or write as those skills would have been mostly useless to you.

Even ignoring the kinda racist Zekhan stuff the book is just bad and full of so many inaccuracies I’m shocked it was published in its current state.

1 Like

Where is this said?

2 Likes

Thrall was illiterate for a long time. No one trains a born to kill gladiator to read and write. That’s not a character killer to me, especially when we take into account the book is probably supposed to be written in a common (in this case orcish) language. I have 0 beef with him having to be taught how to write like that or be taught words that honestly he had no need for.
His teaching probably said “even de mighty earth is worn down by de waves” not “ey mon dat be erosion”

3 Likes

For now. Wait until Blizzard wakes up to this controversy tomorrow and then you, Carhagen, tell me what is canon and what isn’t

2 Likes

I’m more confused that zekhan mentions the first war including night elves trying to siphon power from the dark portal.

The portal in EK. And wasn’t even around when that war happened.

2 Likes

I’m actually trying to recall a school in the game at all that wasn’t like a university of magic, a school of war, or a profession trainer. Not thinking of any… lol

Schooling as we imagine it is relatively new when speaking about the broad history of real world humans though. Mostly parents and community members taught the children what they needed to know to function in their communities and little else.

There’s a world quest in Zandalar to wrangle orphans for their lessons I believe.

2 Likes

Everywhere?
Besides elven societies and the kirin tor the word school is rarely if ever used in game. And even then it’s like magic schools to learn higher levels of magic