How to populate the empty cities

Like a lot of you over time, a lot of the playerbase is bottlenecked to either Stormwind or Orgrimmar, for the most part. To my knowledge, you’d either have to hot-foot it, fly, or find a Mage who’s willing to port.

Off the top of my head, I think a simple way to alleviate this issue is to have portals to the other main cities. Although, perhaps it’s “unlockable” at max level, so the leveling experience isn’t touched. The portals could sit somewhere inside the Mage Tower in SW, or inside another district since everyone and their mothers only stay in the Trade District. For Org, inside the portal cavern, or somewhere that isn’t the Valley of Strength.

Might’ve been said once or twice before, but this quality of life might help, because to be honest I don’t think many folks want to spend their time taking the tram from SW to IF, even at end level. It’d be nice to have some actual populace in these gorgeous cities. I remember when Ironforge was just as populated, if not, preferred by a good amount of players back in the day. Now it’s nothing, just like every other location.

13 Likes

All they need to do is update the other capital cities with portal rooms, embassies, transmog/void storage vendors and they’d be good to go. They already have AH, banks/guild banks.

I hate that we are shoehorned into staying in Org/SW all the time.

47 Likes

truly I think a fully purposed new capital city is what they need. problem is they need it to be near starting zones so there’s new players seeing the busy hub.

perhaps a new capital is needed afterall?

I think each city should have its own purpose. Perhaps Stormwind is the trade city with auction houses, Exodar is the only place with transmog, Ironforge has banks etc

5 Likes

If you want full cities, make them easy to get to. GW2 has about twice as many cities as WoW and they’re all packed like a rave 24/7. They all have all the services of a city. You can craft an individual hearth to any or all cities, and even if you don’t have one you just pay a few silver to teleport to any of them from anywhere. People can play where they want to play from which leads to great diversity and each of the cities kinda have their own player cultures with their own well known townies. WoW’s restrictions are what makes most of the zones in general dead.

14 Likes

I agree. I love ironforge on my ally toon but theres no real reason to stay there.

8 Likes

I think that there is an IF portal in Boralus, a portal from SW.
But, in concept, I totally agree; The Commons in IF is one of my all-time favorite places and I’ve not been back in since the winter holiday.

2 Likes

We don’t need a new city. We have so many existing ones that are underutilized.

I’m still waiting for Suramar to get updated….

4 Likes

That sounds horrible.

9 Likes

yes, imagine having to travel through the world instead of … sitting in one spot having everything available within reach.

you are basically turning your wow toon into yourself. locked in the bedroom, at the computer, longest trips being to the bathroom - or fridge.

i thought MMORPGs are about entering and experiencing a fantasy world, not pulling the fantasy toon into the real world…

3 Likes

Do you really want to have to travel between two cities to get to the AH and your bank?

6 Likes

i have a mount for my AH and there are ample toys for the bank. Plus I use my bank twice per year so it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

I personally don’t spend much time in cities. I don’t see the appeal of AFKing in Orgrimmar.

1 Like

I would say making dailies in town for professions or something could get people to move around town.

Though being a roleplayer makes things flow through town too.

3 Likes

I may not agree with the proposal of the other comment, but I agree with this. I wish WoW encouraged more globetrotting. Even if it’s to go retrieve low level mats for some crafting purpose, anything to get outside of SW/current expansion zones and feel connected to the world of Warcraft.

4 Likes

I’m sorry but that’s just look terrible. Look at all the people currently complaining about Oribos having no AH and imagine that in all Cities.

The only solution that i see is to give everything to all cities, so people will be free to stay in the one they want instead of all being packed in Ogrimmar

3 Likes

This is the most important. When they removed the portal network they really did force players into SW/Org. Yes, you can still base in other cities but adding more portal jumps makes it more difficult.

I used to love being based in Pandaland.

:cookie:

3 Likes

This won’t solve the player population in cities but I do think events in cities can help make them feel more alive. Getting mugged in Stormwind going down the wrong alley, a parade in Silvermoon, a dwarf singing a song in Ironforge.

I don’t think we will ever get full life in cities with players but I do think it’s possible to add life with “event encounters” to enhance the players that are in the cities.

4 Likes

Old world revamp/update. Stop making new zones/areas and start reusing/updating old ones.

Could be some new Xpac invasion type things that rotate from one continent and then to the other. Could be new underground areas in those old zones or some type of sky maps above those zones. Could be making some old zones higher levels. There are many ways to reuse old zones.

7 Likes

Put all key NPCs and portals into those cities.
I prefer IF over SW but all the key places are in SW.

3 Likes