How to politely tell a guildie their dps isn't up to par for Mythics

Looking for some constructive feedback on how to handle this situation as me and some of my guildies are banging our head in frustration!

We’re starting to get into mythic pluses. The problem is, one of our guildies, a boomkin, is holding us back. He’s got an 200ilvl, yet is only averaging 1.5k dps…yeah. His dps is lower than the tank’s the entire run!!!
We’ve failed easy 5+ keys because our dps isn’t high enough.

I know for a fact he’s not using all of his utilities and spells properly, but he doesn’t seem to listen to criticism, or any help offered! I’ve sent him the link to the druid discord. We had another boomkin offer to talk to him (he ignored her help). We sent him useful addons and tips to improve. Nothing. He ignores our feedback.

We’re not sure what to do at this point. The rest of us are ready to push 10+, yet if we bring him, there is NO way we can carry him, even with most us pulling good dps. Yet he wants to run mythics with us.

We are NOT looking to kick him out of the guild, or get rid of him.
We want him to either learn how to play his class better, or realize he is not ready for mythics yet.

tl;dr- How do you politely tell someone they need to get better without offending them?

9 Likes

Just gotta let him know, politely, that he’s not up to the dps the team needs for higher runs. Offer to help again and let him know you’ll take him if you’re doing lower keys.

18 Likes

I think you need to tell him, calmly, that if he doesn’t want to improve, you can’t bring him.

34 Likes

Just rip the bandage off. It’ll hurt less in the long run.

35 Likes

Take him or someone in guild that knows the class to a training dummy , with voice coms and help him out . And you can start off with hey your dos isn’t cutting it and hold the group back . But we want to help you improve , we think it’s possible to do better numbers and like having you around . If he gets offended then he’s immature and ignorant and not worth the trouble .

17 Likes

Just be firm. Tell him his dps isn’t up to par with the content you’re doing and until he can meet those requirements he’ll have to sit out. That leaves the responsibility on him to either improve or not play in your group.

12 Likes

Considering you’ve done everything you can to help, and he flat out refuses to ‘listen’, I don’t see any way of him not being offended.
Unfortunately he is holding everyone back.
You have to tell him either take the advice and get better or he can’t come.
He’s being stubborn, there’s only one way to learn.
“I’m sorry brother, we’ve given you every opportunity and advice to improve, and you haven’t. It’s not fair that you’re holding your fellow Guildmates back. We can’t have you doing the higher keys with us”.

17 Likes

Is he specifically wanting to run higher keys? Does he run more than 1 a week? Maybe just run 1 key as high as you can comfortably carry him through then replace him.

1 Like

What are his talents? I play a boomkin and switching my talents upped my DPS by about 700. I recommend (for people getting started with Boomkin) Nature’s Balance, (whatever he wants), Guardian Affinity, (whatever he wants), Soul of the Forest, Stellar Drift, and Solstice. This build is pretty passive and thus hard to mess up.

And his legendary can be a big part of it, what legendary is he using? Additionally, what conduits does he use?

Worst case scenario, take him to one warm-up key a week, and eventually, he will get enough gear through the vault to be effective in higher keys.

2 Likes

Yes, in our discord when we discuss our runs, keys, and such, we’ve already made it clear we will be pushing at least a 10 this week.
He complained that, “I don’t have the gear to do 10s, yet if I don’t do higher keys I won’t get gear…but I’m doing to do it anyway.” Oi. It doesn’t work like that son, lol

5 Likes

You’ve done quite a lot to try to help. Unfortunately, you can’t make him change what he’s doing. At this point, if he’s not willing, then he doesn’t get invites. If he asks why, you’ll need to tell him that he has some work to do because he isn’t going to pull his weight in higher keys. It’s difficult, but that’s just how it is. :confused:

7 Likes

Run with him in lower keys so you can still play with your friend, but seek other group mates when you’re pushing higher keys.

Or run with him on your alts who need to do lower keys.

Best of both worlds.

5 Likes

I know, I know. But we pride ourselves on being friendly, laid back, and helping each other- and we do! I have no problem carrying someone in 0s to get them gear, learn the fights, mechanics, etc…we did that for him in hopes that would help.

It did not :expressionless: So I’m not sure what to do anymore. Yet we don’t want to hurt his feelings.

“Can’t bring you until you up your DPS, sorry. Nothing personal, Its a mathematical problem”.

Weather you’re going to offend them depends entirely on their self-awareness or ability for critical thinking.

Sometimes its unavoidable.

9 Likes

Run lower keys on your alts with him.

3 Likes

Constuctive feedback. Don’t straight out say your dps sucks. Give suggestions on how they can up the number.

1 Like

That is exactly what we’ve been doing! I know that sounds terrible, but we do great- when he’s not in the group.

But that still leaves the issue of confronting him when he (claims) he’s ready to do harder keys with us, yet we know he’s not ready for them yet.

I would have a private conservation and not open to the guild ,nothing is worse then insulting and belittling in front of your peers in any fashion. Isn’t that right insert certain guild I know( -----).

1 Like

There is no polite way because it seems that boomkin is just being ignorant to any help so they’ll be ‘‘offended’’ either way. Just have the closest person to that person chat with them on how they need better dps outta him but he isn’t wanting any help so they need to go with someone else.

It sucks but it is what it is.

Yeah, that’s a tough nut to crack. Does your friend run a damage meter, or have a way they could verify for themselves how their performance compares to other players of similar ilvl?

It could be a case of them not knowing what they don’t know, if you follow my meaning.