How to get into RBGS?

Hey all. Hope you’re doing alright.

Recently started getting into RBGs on my main and i’m having a lot of fun with it.

On my main, I have reached 1400 CR, I have roughly 226 PvP ilvl, 27% vers. But all I can really get into are the yolo groups. I joined a community but I found most of them want to run with people who are already very highly ranked and frankly are pretty rude.

Where do I go from here? Do I keep grinding with YOLOs?

I solo-PVP, I don’t have a lot of people to run RBGs with.

Good news bad news, the good news is, the hardest part is over, basically you have to yolo up to 1400 at which point you are a “Viable” pick for people.

The bad news, if you are just getting into pvp, you are screwed right now because, welcome to the brick wall were everyone above you is going to just out right, out gear you from past season gear and there is literally nothing you can do except wait to get your conquest and vault items.

2 Likes

Would you advise to keep grinding YOLOs? I’m having some trouble getting into 1400/1500 groups solely because of my vers % being “too low to pvp”

My advise? Get conquest capped, unlock your 3 vaults through RBGs, win your 1400 game for the week and stop.

Right now pvp is such a got mess because of gear discrepancies you got a brick wall at like 1500 if you are new this season.

Your other option is to hopefully find a group that carries you to 1600
Ideally you want like 30% vers but at 25% is like your bare minimum

1 Like

If you really want to find people to play with. Its just keep playing and keep making friends. I knew no one and worked my way into a main team in legion, went from knowing nothing about RBGs to getting almost 2300 my first season ever RBGing.

Im currently just playing on my brewmaster, but id be happy to play with you if youd like. I have alts and stuff. You can add my btag kanstil#1725

1 Like

I went through a lot of groups and just tried to play at my best and made sure that people knew that I was making an impact while also not pushing it ‘that’ hard, try to be friendly with everyone and if you keep doing this you should find people who you can queue with continuously.

If not, you can attempt to form your own groups and learn Shot Calling - it’s a good skill and will make you better at all kinds of PvP and if you start doing a good job people will always want to queue again with you, even if you lose.<3

They are many communities which run RBG groups frequently . You could try one of them.

I assume you’re talking about your paladin?
At 217 ilvl and 27% vers you are more than geared enough for yolos and the 1400-1600 groups. The caveat is that those groups get to be as picky as they want. So if another ret pal signs up that has 220 ilvl then they’ll take him just because.
Learning to lead your own groups will help you more in the long run rather than solely relying on getting invites in LFG. Leading is not difficult either, especially once you’ve done it for a couple weeks you’ll quickly develop a better awareness for it.
Cherry has a great guide on RBGs that any player, regardless of leading, should look over.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wqyh4Y2bSD5jcXaJ6l9MEMie6G-CXDxsM4oLgXrqbSA/edit
And you’ll find plenty of strat videos on youtube by searching ‘Kotmogu RBG strategy’ or whichever battleground you’re learning.

An extremely important thing to understand as an RBG lead is that a loss is not your fault alone. You can be the greatest RBG leader in the world but if your team doesn’t know how to play their class or push their buttons then it’s going to be hard to progress. Focus on laying out the strat and guiding your team, and don’t take it personal when you lose.

Also btag the good/chill players. You’ll start to develop a network and this goes a long way.

3 Likes

Good point, I think some of us (definitely myself included) could stand to use more tips in actually leading rbgs. If i knew more about what to do, I’d be more confident in forming groups.

As it is, arena is super simple so i form groups there all the time. I’ll have a look at this guide. Thanks for sharing.

i wish people would stop declining me tho . i link my challenger cheev n my 1800 cheev n 25% verse , all i get is decline decline decline -_- i dont wanna lead yolos rn bcuz idk what the meta is atm

2 Likes

Healers - Priest, priest, whatever you want
Tank - Bear > DH > rest is garbage in comparison
DPS - 2 druids, rogue, dk, whatever you want

Below 2k the meta doesn’t matter. You can play any comp you want. It’s more a scenario of “bring the player, not the class”. Above 2k the meta is still really flexible.

I feel you not wanting to lead yolos though. Some of those people have highly questionable gameplay capability and mental status. However, it is a way of networking to find players you’d want to continue queueing with. Finding good guilds and/or communities helps a lot, but not many servers have good ones.

EDIT: Just noticed you’re on Sargeras. There’s a few good RBG guilds. ‘Bloodbound’ is the largest on Sargeras and one of the top RBG guilds in NA. ‘Still on Sargeras’ is a huge guild with an RBG division. ‘Gnomeland Security’ has an active RBG group but I don’t know how large it is or if they have open teams.

1 Like

thanks for the info and yeah my mental cant handle it. I did it all of bfa and I said never again lol .
I mostly just want to Q for capping conquest each week. If i hit 1800 again cool if not cool , I just really want the weapon tmogs they are so cool this season .

1 Like

Feel free to add me on bnet. xLoops19x#1550. Always down to run RBGs.

2 Likes

Yeah, hit 1485, couldn’t get in any more groups because I didn’t have 1800/2400 last season. Forced to join risky groups and dropped down to the 1430s.

Super cool!

1 Like

Thats usually how it goes. I did the grind in legion s7 for my first season ever playing RBGs… just kept playing and learning and eventually worked my way from a 1600 player up to 2280 night before season ended. We could have probably hit 2400 or 2500 with the team I was playing with, we were winning most of our games.

I suggest you join a community or find people and always add the good ones. Don’t be afraid to ask for help either. I was new to MW back then and I asked some of the top MWs in RBGs some questions and they gladly answered. (Most of the community is kinda toxic though so if they lol at you or dont respond, I wouldnt worry)

2 Likes

Just tell them you have 29% vers they wont check anyways

4 Likes

For sure!

I’ve joined a few communities but lots of them have moved on to higher rankings, and don’t really want to run with a lower ranked player. I think I just need to keep looking.

I’ve been pugging a lot but it’s never consistent, you get a great team, build up your rating and then you get people who start to have ego battles instead of communicating as a team and you’re back where you started.

Frankly, it’s been a bit rough but giving up isn’t an option.

1 Like

I’ll never understand how PvE nerds got to this mindset lol

2 Likes

Well, I was brand new to PVP last season, and while last season was super active, etc. and you won’t find that activity in RBGs this season, here’s what I did:

1. Yolo’d to 1600.

2. I btagged every raid leader that seemed halfway competent, I also btagged every person who seemed to do a good job at target calling and would try to get them into groups I was in, or only join groups I saw them in. (I also pestered the crap out of people who lead RBGs to see if they were starting a group soon, etc.)

3. I stopped playing games without comms.

4. I played to the absolute max of my capabilities every game I queued to ensure people would want me back, or would recognize me as a good healer to say ‘hey that guy’s good invite him’ when they saw me app to a group they may be in.

That’s pretty much it. However, almost every game at every MMR is nothing but hero and 2400 players right now for some reason, so it’s pretty crazy out there. I would honestly suggest just trying to do some 2’s arena if you’re looking to get some rating for better gear–maybe the season will ease up some, I duno.

2 Likes

Yeah!! I actually paired with a shammy on my ret last night and pushed to a little above 1400 in 2s and it was a blast.

I hit a wall where gear discrepancy was a real thing, but that’ll change as I get better gear over time :slight_smile:

1 Like