How to counter RET Paladins?

It doesn’t depend. Asphyxiate DR’s with Absolute Zero. Considering Absolute Zero is a FDK’s BiS and essentially mandatory to take - Asphyxiate is trash. Never take it.

It’s there for many things, the biggest one to point out is helping to setup your go.

Generally its grip>blind>Pillar>aoe stun>chill streak…yada yada

Blind can also potentially snag a trinket from one of the players before the stun. It can be used to peel for your healer as well.

Think of it as a superior AoE version of Asphyxiate that doesn’t DR your BiS leggo.

1 Like

I played double dps a little bit in the early season. We would focus get, force an obvious bubble and i would steal divine shield.

Use the PvP talented anti-magic zone. 80% damage reduction vs their Holy damage.

Spam chains of ice before they get to you. It’ll force a hand of freedom. If they have hand of freedom AND wings on, I ams and wraith walk away.

If you see incoming hoj /dps cds in healer, use defensive death grip to peel

Point is, ret has very obvious cooldowns. You can almost control what they do and you know when they do them. Force whatever cds out of them when you want to.

The hardest thing to me that I’ve noticed is double hands of freedom. That crap just gets unkitable to me.

See, I kinda start to value Deathchill for the same reason. We don’t have any roots whatsoever other than this PvP Talent.

I’m sure there are other PvP Talents that are just plain better to use, no?

I just switched over to Blinding Sleet and it works way better than Asphyxiate IMO. I am doing 2s with a Hpal and having Blinding sleet works way better with our CC rotations. Even though I am loosing a hard stun I do get that extra 5 seconds on target with no heals.

When you guys (FDKs) Start your burst window, do you just use frost strike and obliterate or do you use Obliterate and howling blast (with Procs)? I haven’t tested out the damage difference but I am currently just going with frost strike / obliterate and I finish it off with a howling blast at the end of the window.

1 Like

blinding sleet works amazingly well. i’ve not only used it to secure kills, but also to keep an enemy healer out of a fight while my howling blast and boomie friend melt the dps. since it’s aoe you can use it to get both enemies out of a fight to take a breather, or to just finish off one of them.

tauren’s war stomp is amazing as well. and while it’s a racial, it helps a lot with keeping the enemy team stunned when they’re about to run away/ break from dragon’s stun.

1 Like

you dont

in a seriouse bit try the blind not stun seems to help with surviving a burst plus the root talent for pvp mybe not with paladins but maybe other specs

A good base pick is Chill Streak, Necrotic Aura & Heart stop.

Good ones to swap out is Dome of Ancient Shadow & Delirium. Everything & anything else just lacks against these choices to be worth any value to use.

I’d rank Deathchill under all of these. Whats even worse than that is I’ve seen people running Dead of Winter. I can only facepalm.

1 Like

FS/Oblit. I’ll use HB during rime procs

It doesn’t depend. Asphyxiate DR’s with Absolute Zero. Considering Absolute Zero is a FDK’s BiS and essentially mandatory to take - Asphyxiate is trash. Never take it.

If we’re talking setups then yes Blinding Sleet all the way. Asphyxiate has come in handy for me against range wizard comps that are mobile. That’s all I’m saying. Can’t Blinding Sleet an Afflock if they are just gonna port back after grip etc.

I can’t speak on behalf of this as I haven’t had this happen. However I don’t face many locks in my bracket.

Latency? I always get the blind off on grip even against mage blinks unless I’m too tired and hit the wrong button.

From my experience & much better players than myself like Flark, Partywaffles, etc - Asphyxiate is not the way to go, ever. Not currently, anyways. Saying otherwise is just giving bad advice to new players who should be learning how to properly setup their go’s.

When you guys (FDKs) Start your burst window, do you just use frost strike and obliterate or do you use Obliterate and howling blast (with Procs)? I haven’t tested out the damage difference but I am currently just going with frost strike / obliterate and I finish it off with a howling blast at the end of the window.

Remember, using Abom Limb will always give you a free Rime Proc. I’ve found this to be my best rotation which goes:

• Remorseless Winter -> Grip -> Blinding Sleet -> Chillstreak -> Frostwyrm’s Fury -> Abom Limb/Empower Rune Weapon/PoF/Trinket (Macro’d together) -> Howling Blast -> Obliterate -> Frost Strike -> Obliterate -> Frost Strike -> Obliterate -> Frost Strike -> Obliterate -> Howling Blast -> Obliterate.

The reason I have 3 consecutive Frost Strikes in there is because of the Unleashed Frenzy conduit. Doing stacks my strength and makes it so that my final Obliterate hits the hardest of all. With 5% haste + Empower Rune Weapon, in the 12 second PoF window I can get 5 Obliterates off assuming I don’t get CC’d.

Still hate paladins. Fought them in almost every other game today. Game isn’t fun when most people are abusing a completely busted class that i cant do just about anything against because they have an easy answer against every situation. Balance is dogs**t in 2s. Fire mages and sub rogues are irritating as well. Especially when they’re all in better gear and gatekeeping 1400.

Speaking of conduits, is Unleashed Frenzy better than Everfrost in terms of damage output? The buff only lasts for 6 seconds so I feel like sometimes with all the CC and stuns that there is a big chance of losing that buff. Does the buff re stack after it caps out so the timer gets refreshed?

You want to Pillar before chill streak. As it gets the benefits from Pillar. If you Pillar after, you’re leaving damage on the table for your burst.

No. Everfrost & Brutal Grasp are better than Unleashed Frenzy. With Brutal Grasp probably being slightly ahead of Everfrost.

Unleashed Frenzy may have a place in 2s, but in reality 2s are a meme. In 3s you’re a cleave/support spec. Everfrost & Brutal Grasp are way more important in this realm.

You’ll also want to ensure you’re running Accelerated Cold as your other Potency conduit. The haste benefit + increased recharge rate on Empowered rune weapon is too good to pass up.

Credit goes out to all still trying.

Easy:

Spell eater + deaths embrace.

sprinkle in the above advice and you win!

just gotta learn when to time it…and when to kite vs melee. As UH i have good success with this.

No. Everfrost & Brutal Grasp are better than Unleashed Frenzy. With Brutal Grasp probably being slightly ahead of Everfrost.

I disagree. Our only real killing potential comes from our Obliterates and Chillstreak. Everfrost is a 20s cooldown so I think you can make the argument that Everfrost is on par with Unleashed Frenzy due to how much uptime it has. Abom Limb is on a 2m CD and arenas can often be over before you even get a second Abom Limb off therefore the Brutal Grasp conduit is often only utilized a few times at most per arena match. Everfrost/Brutal Grasp in RBGs for sure, but 2s and 3s have low enough player counts where I believe Obliterates stacking with Unleashed Frenzy is the better choice. With PoF being as short as it is, I’d choose an extra Obliterate for 7-9k on a single target over burning one GCD into PoF to fully utilize Remorseless Winter/Abom Limb’s AOE damage in that 12 second window.

Unleashed Frenzy may have a place in 2s, but in reality 2s are a meme. In 3s you’re a cleave/support spec. Everfrost & Brutal Grasp are way more important in this realm.

Sadly yes 2s are a meme. I don’t know about you but even in 3s I’m always on par or slightly higher than an Arms/Ret damage output and slightly behind WW’s damage output using Unleashed Frenzy. It really comes down to our Obliterate and Chillstreak damage at the right moments and that’s what I run with.

You’ll also want to ensure you’re running Accelerated Cold as your other Potency conduit. The haste benefit + increased recharge rate on Empowered rune weapon is too good to pass up.

YES!

You want to Pillar before chill streak. As it gets the benefits from Pillar. If you Pillar after, you’re leaving damage on the table for your burst.

I sometimes do this when Empower Rune Weapon and Abom Limb is on CD so basically what I call my 2nd aka “mini” go. With Empower Rune Weapon + Accelerated Cold and roughly 5% base haste stat, you can get a maximum of 5 KM Obliterates off. Without ERW you can only get 4 KM Obliterates off. That extra KM Obliterate with Unleashed Frenzy ramping up the damage is way too valuable during my main go IMO. But I think the beginning of each set up can be interchangeable dependent upon the situation.

Edit: Grammar and sorry for my long winded answers lol

Single target = Yes. Multiple targets = No (Although read my response to Nethx below to see why I think Unleashed Frenzy is still better than Everfrost)

And yes when you add a stack, the timer refreshes back to 6s. Remember it increases your strength so all of your abilities scale also. Your damage can be maximized by consistently using Frost Strike as your abilities will always be slightly stronger.