How to counter RET Paladins?

Been doing Arenas and I seem to just drop dead from RetPs. I try popping AMS or AMZ when i See wings. I try Kiting with chains of ice, my stuns get trinket or bubbled. I play both frost and Unholy, can you please give me some advice on how to take on these classes.

2 Likes

Get used to it :upside_down_face:

Unless you outgear them / they don’t know how to fight you, they will laugh at you in the form of word of glory

5 Likes

Bring a warrior, otherwise, just accept your death.

1 Like

You’re trying or are you actually doing?

Against a ret you should swap out necrotic for dome. Drop a big dome for wings and you null their damage. If you do this right, AMZ is up EVERY time their wings are. Your only other concern then is their 2nd go with seraphim & DT. AMS and kite or, If you’re a beast, you can AMS and sit this one. Respond with your own go.

Otherwise, like stated, chains & kite.

If you get bubble, you’re doing something right.

Rets are much easier to face than Arms Warriors IMO. Ezpz.

4 Likes

You don’t.

Not as a DK.

3 Likes

big zone the first toll+wings, can try ams the second but best to just chains and gtfo unless your teammates got a response. if your in blind without trinket+ibf, goodnight sweet prince

1 Like

AMZ lasts 10 seconds wings lasts 25. I’m not sure why it’s controversial to say you’re going to lose to most ret paladins who have a clue. Mes hit a 30k the other day playing his ret on stream. We just don’t have the burst damage to compete with that and sooner or later they will connect. They’re easier to deal with in 3’s because you can rely on teammates but they’re still incredibly OP.

Not sure if I’m allowed to link twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/notmes/clip/NimbleIronicHareWholeWheat?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time

2 Likes

This ^^

Really? i struggle vs arms any tips?

Kill their healer. Save trinket for disarm. You can trinket disarm every other go.

Chains & grip arms away from your healer as much as possible.

Other than that, best of luck.

That is true but with how slow a ret is when they do their go they have to pump out abilities right away. The first go is usually wings+seraphim+DT, followed by a Final Reckoning if they talented into it. Then they either weave a TV or a Wake, followed by another TV.

It’s the first half of the go that you need to look out for. Sure, TVs hurt - but it’s the TVs followed by the big initial go that puts someone in the grave. If you can fend off a good portion of that, your healer can keep you alive. Otherwise you pop AMS after AMZ or kite away as their next group of abilities to hit hard with are not ranged.

Running into a ret/healer over a arms/healer is a blessing for me. Imo so much easier to deal with their burst as a DK.

Dark sanctum helps a little against pallies if you can steal their bubbles and heals

You sacrifice much better talents to run this.

Idk Neth

Dark Sanctum seems like a nice place to chill.

1 Like

See, by running this talent it’s actually a location the Ret pally sends you after obliterating you into nothing for picking said talent.

Win win, maybe?

1 Like

Perhaps…

Or… Maybe there is a mirror outside of an Arena everytime you face a Ret Paladin. You see yourself inside that mirror as a reflection of your actions. You enter it and suddenly the screen grows gray with gray fog. A strange voice whispers to you…

“You will never beat a Ret Pally”

And it was not enough of a fact that you tried to copy a move that the Ret Pally use. You fail miserably. The fog fades when you die. The game mocks you to git gud. The game… says the Ret Pallies are the kings of PvP atm.

By entering the Dark Sanctum… you’ve suffered…

DELIRIUM… and No, not the Frost PvP Talent.

That’s pretty good, not gonna lie.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend Dark Sanctum, I had a duel on my DK vs his pally with DS talented. I got his Divine Toll for my DS and was unable to use it due to not having judgement. It can be a gamble I suppose.

I try meaning sometimes I will get AMZ down or get AMS up in time, but most of my fights end up with me not having enough time to react because I am stunned or in a blind.

But I did get a lot out of the replies, thanks for the info guys!

Would dropping AMZ be a good idea for an offensive move (pop CDs) to force that bubble out and use AMS as back up?

I mean, AMZ doesn’t do damage so it wont force bubble…But if the ret has wings out throw down that AMZ and feel free to return fire. Pop Pillar & force the Ret to either bubble or WoG & if he WoG’s he is not doing damage. Win/win

That is what I meant about using if offensively. There are a bunch of games where I would try to burst but with no defensive cool downs and its a GG in 2-3 hits when wings are up.