How to apply for shadowlands alpha/beta

So the alpha is upon us you want into the beta heres how

Also CS is unable to hand out keys or assist in getting keys other then telling you how to apply.

10 Likes

Opt-in, pulled at random from that pool. There are some exceptions to that “pulled at random” part (game media influencers, friends and family, stuff like that), but that’s the gist. Testing with players needs a diverse set of players, so it’s mostly randomized. Can still give feedback on alpha stuff by the forums and Twitter and other usual places. Don’t need to post in the alpha forums for it to have an impact on the expansion’s development.

3 Likes

This is the announcement page for the Alpha/Beta. The link to opt-in is also on this page.

This first batch of invitations will mainly go out to long-time WoW players with active accounts in good standing, as well as Blizzard friends and family, along with a limited number of content creators and journalists. This initial wave represents only a small fraction of the pool of testers that will ultimately gain access to the test in the coming months

Random invites are given to the opt-ins so good luck. A limited number are given to specific players.

Later on, as we engage in focused PvP and raid testing, we’ll also do some targeted invite waves that prioritize players with extensive experience or expertise in those parts of the game.

3 Likes

Do i need to buy Shadowlands to have access to the alpha test?

No, buying Shadowlands won’t get you in the alpha, nor would it give you an invide to that or beta. Getting in is mostly random.

5 Likes

You have to opt-in. That is the only requirement. Players are selected randomly from the list of accounts. The number of opt-ins will greatly exceed the number of players they need for testing. Good luck.

There are likely very few invited so far. The earlier in the Alpha/Beta, the fewer that are there. They add more as they need more. There will likely be more every time they open new areas for testing.

Keep an eye out on the News section and the front page of the fansites. If they do stress tests like they did for BfA you may be able to see the new content even if you aren’t selected for the Alpha/Beta.

2 Likes

I glad i recreated this thread good idea.

2 Likes

“Players are selected randomly from the list of accounts.”

Funny how the major streamers and game reviewers seem to consistently be selected at random. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Bit of a shame that they’re also transparent about that, I suppose?

Ruffle’s post has quoted Blizzard’s exact words.

4 Likes

Yeah, shocking that they want well known folks in the gaming world to get in and show off to folks. Not like giving random folks in there will get the stuff shown to the wider player base and folks not treating it as if it’s a free demo to mess around in.

3 Likes

Streamers showing the alpha version of Shadowlands on Twitch or YouTube is exactly what Blizzard wants in order to get the hype train rolling, so giving them access first makes perfect sense business wise.

4 Likes

It could be, that over the years of exposure depending on how community recruits, that those said streamers have developed contacts with in Blizzard, and wound up on their friends and family status. Friends and family, it’s no secret, are often on the list first.

The title “Friends and Family Alpha” stands out.

5 Likes

Funny how Blizzard stated that they were selected specifically, not at random. Which part of

did you not understand?

Even it they invite 500 streamers, content creators, and journalists to the Alpha/Beta, it’s only a small number of the invites. Sour grapes posts like yours just reflect badly on how petty you are personally. They don’t say anything about the ones you are whining about.

Maybe if you tried promoting Blizzard and its games, and building a rapport with your fellow gamers instead of promoting false narratives you might get considered for Alphas.

You started whining really early in it too. The Alpha just started this week. It’s not like they are the only ones getting invited. The testing phases will last for months.

Some streamers and content creators are invited as Blizzard’s friends and family, and the rest fall under Marketing. They are brought in for hype. They don’t impact the number of invitations to players who have opted in. It has been like that all along. Your whiny narrative about streamers is not original and is not true. All it does is show what a poor sport you are.

11 Likes

The question was rather
“Is Shadowlands Pre-purchase required to even be on the possible list of picks?”

I’m starting to think that might be the case, even if a responder here (none dev, but got quoted in top comment…) - said “No other requirement.”

Owning the Pre-purchase seems logical, even if it goes agains the “Oldschool Accounts” / “Veterans” idea of invites too, since I am a veteran since 1month after launch - never unsubbed - own everything they’ve ever released and so forth —
but I do not own pre-purchase of Shadowlands yet due to finanical issues at the moment.

Everything else makes 100% sense, and I am not whining or whatever - just speculating and pointing out some need-to-be-announced facts.

And the answer is no. Right now, it an Alpha, available to Friends and Family of Blizzards and Streamers. Blizzard has said plainly, the only requirement is you opt in. Speculating here will not do any good as the CS forums are not the place for it.

2 Likes

Blizzard Customer Support cannot grant beta access.

To sign up for the World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Alpha or Beta click on the Beta Opt-In button at the top of Shadowlands Home Page.

Beta access isn’t guaranteed. We send out a limited number of invitations, based on several criteria.

Blizzard does not send beta keys. If you are selected to participate in a beta test, you’ll receive an email with information on how to install the client and provide feedback.

2 Likes

1: Technically beta has not even started yet, it’s Alpha which has always been limited to Friends and Family, and somewhat a limited amount of opt in invites.

2: It does not even require a subscription, or even the base game. Though being a current player does help to understand the game in testing, most of the testers are chosen from the opt in branch. And as more are needed, more are added. Hence stress test weekend and such.

The fact that there are likely more interested then slots to fill probably is the main reason why some don’t get picked.

4 Likes

I told on rededit who will get Alpha invite from players and I was right. Asmongold, Swifty, Bajheera etc. players who have blizzard supported community. They are always randomly pulled from 6 millions player database. Why? Because bilzzard knows it will track out many players. They could give me to boost my viewer count . It NO

Blizz isn’t going to give random folks a spot in the bate or alpha for the sole reason for their own self-interest. Blizz gives out spots for folks to give the larger player base then a random person who just want to play it as if its a personal demo.

Blizz has their reasons, most of witch is for feedback. They want folks to give input on what they should change, what they think on X/Y/Z, what they think should be fix, etc.

Most of all, as I linked, Blizz randomly pick folks on needs. That need isn’t X person want to brag about it to their friends and such.

3 Likes

You are wrong. You are selectively choosing to ignore the fact that they know Blizzard employees from attending Blizzcons and from game promotion. They get selected for their proven ability to bring players. They are NOT randomly pulled from 6-million player database. They are invited through Friends and Family, or as content creators.

Everyone whining because streamers got into ALPHA the first week just stop. It is not the only wave of invites. It isn’t even Beta yet. The expansion isn’t going live this week, or next week, or even next month. Whining on the forum is not going to get you an invite.

There are weeks, if not months, of testing to go. There are thousands of spots that are going to be available. The number of spots is going to be dwarfed by the number of players hoping to get in.

Customer Support does not handle Alpha/Beta. It is entirely done by the Dev team. Customer Support has no say in who gets an invite. Customer Support does not gather feedback about the process to pass on to the Dev team. If you feel that the Alpha/Beta invitations should be done differently, post in General Discussion so that CMs and Devs will see it.

5 Likes