How rich you gotta be that $110,000.00 is like 100 dollars to you?

Could a brain surgeon even afford to play diablo immortal? or investment banker? is this Game aimed at Elon Musk and his friends?

5 Likes

Oh look, another troll D:I thread full of hyperbole. Just what we needed.

2 Likes

I know that there was an elite circle of players for AFK arena that would spend 100k like it was nothing

let me be the devil advocate my Michael Moorcock friend :slight_smile:

first, a free to play game still need investment by the company who made the game, so you can bet there will be an in game shop in it

second, no one is forcing you to buy cosmetics or in game items to make your character stronger, like if a window pops up telling you that you have a one time offer to buy a loot chest for .99$, you are not forced to hit yes

third, these threads about Diablo Immortal are getting boring, did blizzard exagerate with the cash shop, yes, but move on, its not any better or worst than half games sold at full price with the rest of the game available in dlc

3 Likes

You could just not play the game or maybe play it and not worry about getting whatever it’s version of BiS is. How much does it even matter with a mobile game?

Anyone can afford to play it. It’s free.

1 Like

They dont even advertise those chests as limited time only…which by itself is an improvement versus many other games in the F2P mobile market.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating for P2W game design, just pointing out Blizz is being less aggressive than many of their competitors

1 Like

It is drama, which isn’t great… but, Blizzard does need to be called out on DI.

6 Likes

Do they? They entered the F2P mobile market where the D:I game designs are considered normal…I’m not sure why people expected them do employ a different monetization strategy than the market standard

Again, not advocating for the P2W monetization…just pointing out that this shouldnt have shocked or surprised anyone

1 Like

The thing is you have to invest a looooot of money for that power to actually do a lot for you. 99.9% of the playerbase isn’t going to do that. It’s a mobile arpg, you don’t have to shell out a dime to succeed and the amount of whales might keep you from being #1 on the leaderboard but it’s not going to keep you from progressing your character.

1 Like

Well… I suppose when we hit Hyperinflation in the US and start printing 100 tillion dollar bills thats when 110k will feel like $100.

It’s aimed at manipulating gambling addicts who will go broke trying to pay up. You’re not supposed to be able to afford it.

2 Likes

Being serious…

I’d say about a net worth of around $50,000,000. Using conservative estimates, most wealth managers will try to get you a 2% yield and a 5-6% return. If you’re getting a 5% return, you’re looking at $2,500,000. Not sure about the taxes, but if you went with the highest bracket which is 39% and you lived in a state with no state income, you’d be left with 1,525,000 for the year.

Even with 1.5M, if you’re at this level of wealth, it’s still going to hurt buying out a fully decked diablo character. But it’s $127,000 a month. So you don’t need to buy it all at once. You can start doing $20,000 a month into diablo and then after a six months, you’d be at $120,000.

So, I’d say 50,000,000 in liquid investment accounts and you can play with the whales without breaking your bank.

This. it’s not even P2W. It’s P2Gamble at the chance of winning. It’s even worse than just straight P2W cash shops.

1 Like
  1. It isn’t normal for Blizzard, and it isn’t what fans expect from them.
  2. Immoral practices, being normalized, makes that worse, not better.

I think people did expect this to some extent, but I don’t think people knew how bad it would be. DI isn’t just bad, it’s like one of the worst. It’s so incredibly predatory, it boggles the mind that Blizzard, with all of their PR issues, would release this at all.

And this is a completely fair point. Me personally, I had no idea what I’d get walking into DI, I was basically expecting a low effort diablo 3 clone, and it wasn’t that. It was a pretty good game that was wrapped up in micro transactions and p2w schemes which are very predatory.

3 Likes

Neither is a mobile game. We weren’t even getting D:I on PC, it came out of nowhere.

Frankly it’s exactly as I expected.

I just hope Warcraft Arclight follows a different method for their cash-shop.
Although, I expect that one to follow the design of "You must wait 18 hours or pay* which frankly I hate more than blatant pay-to-win power gains.

Build it and they will come.

As long as there are people who are willing to shell out money, you can’t blame a business for taking their cash.

That is the F2P format.

Wow is the sub based format.

It isn’t stupid of them to have games that cater to both formats.

Someone who’s got F-U money and enough to tell off an entire nation. Wish I had that kind of money, but I still wouldn’t waste it on a game.

The 110k assumption is everyone is going to perfectly max out their toons and even if the only “expense” was time, most players aren’t interested in spending that much time. They will get their toons “good enough” and stop. No one is in it until the end, they are only in it until a certain point.

1 Like

I know that monetisation is common in the mobile game market. But still, just the basic prices staggered me. Like the cosmetics. You cannot even call them microtransactions. In order to buy enough orbs to buy an armor and weapon set based on some diablo 2 gear it would cost me like 39 Aussie dollars. That is absurd!

I don’t think that the achievement is to spend all of your money. I’ll bet that you don’t even get a title.

I’d not spend my money, nosiree.