How rich you gotta be that $110,000.00 is like 100 dollars to you?

You shouldn’t accept shady business practices just because it’s becoming the “norm”.

1 Like

Sure. Unfortunately, mobile game customers have fully embraced P2W monetization so it isn’t going anywhere regardless of how much people try to shame Blizzard for joining in.

The P2W model is widely accepted by players and profitable. Until that changes the market is not going to change.

It wont. Blizzard has already decided they aren’t going to try and market it in countries like Belgium. That’s the canary in the coal mine that Arclight is going to be just as bad, if not worse.

2 Likes

This is true. The problem is that there is no alternative monetization method for mobile that actually works. Games sold for a “box price” typically have much less customers than F2P games. Also, cosmetics are not important in a RTS style game.

Until a new monetization scheme is invented, this is what we are going to see more of.

This is something that the players can affect though. Most P2W mobile are made by random no name companies. This one is milking Dedicated fans of a specific franchise and company for decades. And reports are coming in of them putting the same p2w systems into Diablo 4. People should speak up.

I fully support players speaking up…but having over 10 million downloads in 1 week and high reviews on the apple/google app store might be sending the wrong message.

C-

/10chars

Are they? Because the reviews and such I’ve read suggest D:I is one of the most egregious in the mobile market.

It’s also not something that Blizzard fans expected from the company. Some level of cash shop in a f2p game is of course to be expected, but I think we all figured it would be cosmetics only - something that most games seem to have realized is the best way to go for cash shops.

The kicker is that the game play is actually excellent. It’s just destroyed by the p2w shop.

At this point just speaking up isn’t going to do anything. It hurts me down to my very bone marrow saying this because I’m usually very pro Free-Market(Thomas Sowell IS my greatest hero) but we’re at a point where the only way to kill these predatory monetization schemes is to adopt the same laws that, again, countries like Belgium have to stop it.

Meanwhile Netherlands and Belgium calling out Blizzard before the game even hits their market.

I did, how could you not after that pathetic showing on stage when they announced D:I?

There was nothing to suggest they would go down the p2w route - especially not as bad as they did. Pretty sure Blizzard has never done anything remotely p2w in its games. I figured it would be a maybe lower quality D3 clone or something. Never expected what we got.

People with that expecation were ignoring the $1 Billion that ATVI made last year on CoD Mobile that had P2W weapons, Loot Boxes, and Cosmetics. After having such huge success why would they change their monetization strategy?

Again, not advocating for P2W.

Well we all learn the hard truths at some point in our lives.

The problem is that the game is Good, imo. It’s a Solid Diablo game. They just gotta get that p2w nonsense out of there.

2 Likes

The average American salary is about 50,000 USD per year. So to the average person, 100 dollars is 1/500 of their yearly salary. For $110,000 to be 1/500 of the person’s yearly salary, they would need a yearly salary of $55,000,000.

So, someone who makes 55 million USD per year may regard $110,000 the same way that the average American would regard $100.

I hope the cosmetic sets from DI end up in WoW someday. Not as store items, but possible dungeon sets we can farm. Many of them look fantastic.

I completely agree. I really enjoy the game and would have happily bought it if that was an option.

I have wanted a diablo MMO for a long time.

1 Like