How real is the Night Elf in the Refrigerator trope?

What? No it wouldn’t. The legion is the whole reason why the horde exists in the first place. It would have finally closed an arc that started with the entire franchise. On a meta level, I think they deserved it more than even the draenei, which were written from the start to be super-gifted tragic victims and basically commandeered it from other races.

The Vindicaar wouldn’t really have been needed to access Argus if the writers wanted. Blizzard could have easily written the patch so that Illidan used his keystone thing to direct the giant portal in the Broken Shore and have people charge through it and into Argus like a reverse legion invasion. In my opinion, the whole army of the light 1,000 years war thing with the lightforged draenei seemed incredibly out of place and awful.

12 Likes

They are also why the scourge exist, why Velen lost his home and his people, why the Night Elven empire collapsed and so on.
A lot of people have a bone to pick with the Legion, the first Horde became what it was due to Mannoroth and we already dealt with him TWICE!

1 Like

Actully it was kil’jaden thst set the first horde up and everything manaroth just gave them his blood.

He was also the mastermind behind the Scourge. He also showed up in BC for the Sunwell event. The guy has been busy.

The Argus patch was an opportunity to go somewhere we never have before and lore that has been obscure until now.
Which was of course Velen, Kiljaden, Archimond and the Eredar people’s past.
Alleria and Turalyon returning after missing for so long was just the icing on the cake.

I agree just pointing out manaroth didnt really mske the horde what it was he just helped because of orders from higher up.

Manaroth was the central figure. That’s why his death was so iconic, his dead freed the orcs from their bloodhaze.

Although Sargeras and Kiljaden are the ultimate masterminds (for pretty much everything) it was ultimately Manaroth that held that special position for the Orc’s lore.
I am of course referencing this:

I would arguee he became a central figure to who they are now but not to them becoming the first horde that was all kill’jaden manaroth just showed up once to donate blood then like 30 years latter to do the same then die. He is s central figure in the new horde but old horde he was a gaint blood bag.

Is there any references that the orcs particularly blame Kil’jaeden rather than mostly Mannoroth?

I mean we as the viewer know the inner workings and plots but do the orcs?

The orcs dont even blame him till the new horde. Like i said he is a central figure for the new horde. Even in the old rise of the horde book he shows up once or twice gives blood then vanishes he wasnt a central figure. His involvment was minimal though he made an impact. No one blamed kil’jaden because no one knew he existed like most orcs didnt know manaroth existed till 3.

So he had no part in shaping the horde he just donated blood.

Man, you’re right, there was really NOTHING that could have justified an orc to show up on Argus…

1 Like

Considering the only orcs of note was a depressed Thrall, Garrosh dead and both Eitrigg and Saurfang being relatively minor compared to Velen and Illidan I would say yes. Orcs had no priority in the Argus storyline.

No matter how heroic Broxingar’s death was 10k years ago.

Well, duh, no horde had any sort of priority in anything Legion related.

Still doesn’t excuse wasting the opportunity for Brox’s little brother to stop by.

3 Likes

And it was a great expansion because we got away from Horde’s toxic influence in the overarching narrative.

There were lots of missed opportunity and meet ups that we never saw but should have.

They have just as much beef with the Legion as the Draenei. They even have beef with the spacegoats since it was them who led the Legion to them in the first place. The Legion is largely comprised of Eredar so while the Draenei have reason to kill their former brothers and sisters for trying to convert or kill them all, orcs have bad blood with both groups for leading corruption to them and then leaving once their world was destroyed by said corruption. Freeing themselves from the influence of the Legion has been a central theme of orcs in Warcraft. Taking the fight to the Legion without bringing a single orc was bad writing to cater to the Alliance who cried “iron horde=horde story” for all of WoD.

5 Likes

There was just so much wrong in this one post.
Let’s just say I whole heartedly disagree with every word you typed in there.

Also in regard to OP and Night Elves. I’ve always hated how badly the Nelfs were rewritten between WCIII and WoW. They threw a lot of generic Tolkien elf seasoning into what Night Elves originally were to make them seem a lot less aggressive and xenophobic than they were in WCIII. Probably in an effort to try and shoehorn them into the Alliance. And their story has been nothing but downhill from there.

10 Likes

Can we all agree everyone has good reason to want to stop the omnicidal maniac demons ?

7 Likes

Yes. The Official World of Warcraft Orc Racial Page denotes Kil’jaeden – not Mannoroth – as the corrupter of the race.

Unlike the other races of the Horde, orcs are not native to Azeroth. Initially, they lived as shamanic clans on the lush world of Draenor. They abandoned their peaceful culture when Kil’jaeden, a demon lord of the Burning Legion, corrupted the orcs and used them in his vengeful plot against the draenei, who were exiles from Kil’jaeden’s homeworld.

1 Like

Again we know this as the viewer.
I am talking about the orcs in game actually shaking their fists at Kil’jeaden rather than Mannoroth or Gul’dan.

That’s kind of a meta description, though. Ultimately the only orcs who had any direct interaction with Kil’jaeden were Ner’zhul and Gul’dan, so at large the Deceiver would have seemed like kind of a remote agency to the majority of the orcs.

In the cultural “consciousness” of the orcs Mannoroth comes across as being considered the tangible personification of their corruption because he’s the literal source of the blood curse. The blame for deceiving them tends to be attributed more to Gul’dan and his ilk rather than the unseen eredar manipulator that only he (and previously Ner’zhul) had actually met.

All that said, I feel like the orcs were omitted from Argus for the same reason the humans not named Turalyon were so omitted. The factions were sidelined for the expansion’s primary story arc, and since Blizzard has the orcs so narratively married to their faction, that meant no named orcs leading the charge. Even with the humans, the only ones who showed up on Argus were Turalyon and Khadgar, and Khadgar did a whole bunch of nothing while there because he’d been demoted along with 99% of Legion’s other story developments that had preceded the patch.