How not to build a gaming pc

This is funny:

1 Like

It’s unfortunate the Verge did this, but I feel for the guy. He probably wasn’t asked to do this, and it was just beyond his scope and he was just following orders and took the internet L.

Yeah that’s one way of looking at it…its really awesome though because there needs to be examples of what NOT to do, this is very helpful for first timers.

1 Like

This has been around quite a while, and I think the Youtube community went a BIT overboard to the point of just being mean. I especially disliked Bitwit’s piece on it.

But that said, yeah it was a dumb move by the Verge and it’s good other tech media outlets called it out.

Everyone just took it and ran because it was extremely easy content to make and get money for.

1 Like

Sorry if I’m being rude here but I thoroughly enjoyed this video… LOL.

1 Like

It’s funny funny get me wrong

I laughed

1 Like

I don’t know… I mean its a sponsored video so if he was told to do this and just “get it done” regardless of his PC building knowledge, that’s way beyond just not professional. That’s negligent and misleading to whatever audience the Verge has.

It’s broken on a lot of levels and lots of people were responsible for the finished product, between writing, direction, camera, and editing, and they all failed.

But this guy’s face is on it and he’s taking the majority of the heat whereas everyone else can just go on with their lives, which sucks.

I suppose that’s the risk you take being on screen, but that doesn’t mean I can’t feel bad for the guy.

We’ve all been there and this was ultimately not a malicious piece, just a bad one.

I doubt it has had a negative long lasting effect on his life…lol…I actually wouldn’t be surprised if it it hasn’t had a positive effect. I mean if I was that guy and I told you right now that that was me, we would have a good laugh and conversation about it…its not like you would hate me or something. Its totally up to the individual if its going to hurt them or make them stronger…my first thought was, wow this guy went viral and blew up…that’s awesome for him. But you see it as a negative…its interesting.

He’s still getting slung at to this day

https://www.reddit.com/r/IndianGaming/comments/hza0mz/stefan_etienne_the_host_of_the_verge_pc_build/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
He’s handling it less than gracefully, which if he did would have done much for damage control, but he’s pretty bitter he lost his job over it. Not excusing his post behavior, but I’m sympathetic.

2 Likes

Wow…I guess its just weird to me cause I don’t use Twitter or Facebook or anything. I use to use Facebook and each time I went to it, I just assumed I would be attacked and told I was an idiot for something I had said in a group…lol…it was just entertainment, it wasn’t real life to me. To some people though its serious and that’s sad…that it matters that much to them imo.

“Make sure to screw, with confidence.” I might be paraphrasing, but that’s what I took away from the video.

I have several issues with the whole thing;

1 - the guy on camera, Stefan Etienne, is a journalist who did print reviews of cell phones and and laptops for the verge. He’s not a PC tech guy so why use him in the video? I know verge lacked tech guys and wanted the eyeballs but just hire someone who knows their stuff.
2 - I say Stefan “did” print reviews because the verge let him go after the video to wash their hands of the whole situation. So the video literally cost that guy his job, one that he clearly was not equipped to handle.
3 - all those guys reviewing his clip, are gamers not tech guys. Nothing wrong with that but a big difference in knowing tech and knowing how to put a gaming PC together.
4 - they are all going overboard to mock him for views.
5 - I can’t stand the Bitwit guy (Lyle or something like that). I’m sure he is knowledgeable but the accent is fake, insulting, racist, and he does it for views.

2 Likes

Bitwit is a twit. Not sure how he gets so many views. Now all he seems to do is parade his wife on the camera.

1 Like

Fake accent used for comedy is “racist”.
Recently CNN showed an old picture of Biden and his son Hunter when he was a kid…the picture was photoshopped because Hunter was wearing a Washington Redskins beanie, and CNN didn’t want to show it…because its now considered “racist”.
The point is…people have lost their minds…lol
Indians never cared about the Redskins…and a Chinese English accent has always been funny…neither of these things were ever “racist” until people got “woke”.

I’m Asian and I wasn’t offended by it, I just thought it was stupid.

3 Likes

You are allowed your opinion, I just disagree with it.

2 Likes

This is wrong. I say that because my opinion is different. So, yeah, this is subjective, but I feel pretty good about my opinion.

This is objectively false. I remember reading about this decades ago. A simple wikipedia search will give some of the basics - they do have sources, if you’re interested:

Although often assumed to be a debate of recent origins, local Washington, D.C. newspapers have published news items on the controversy many times since at least 1971, all in response to Native American individuals or organizations asking for the name to be changed. National protests began in 1988, after the team’s Super Bowl XXII victory, prompting numerous Native Americans to write letters to Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke; others boycotted Redskins products and protested, but Cooke rejected the possibility of change. There was a protest of about 2,000 people at the 1992 Super Bowl between the Redskins and the Buffalo Bills; the American Indian Movement’s (AIM) Vernon Bellecourt was one of the main organizers of the protest.

In the 1940s the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) created a campaign to eliminate negative stereotyping of Native American people in the media. Over time, the campaign began to focus on Indian names and mascots in sports. The NCAI maintains that teams with mascots such as the Braves and the Redskins perpetuate negative stereotypes of Native American people, and demean their native traditions and rituals.The NCAI issued a new report in 2013 summarizing opposition to Indian mascots and team names generally, and the Washington Redskins in particular. In the trademark case, the TTAB placed significance on the NCAI opposition, estimating that the organization represented about 30% of the Native American population at the time the trademarks were granted, which met their criteria for a “substantial composite” of Native Americans finding the name disparaging. In its amicus brief filed in the case, the NCAI states that the combined enrollment of its member tribes in 2013 was 1.2 million individuals.

Many tribal councils have passed resolutions or issued statements regarding their opposition to the name of the Washington Redskins, including the Cherokee and Comanche Nations of Oklahoma, the Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, the Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes, the Oneida Indian Nation (New York), the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe (North Dakota) and the United South and Eastern Tribes (USET). In April 2014, Navajo Nation Council voted in favor of a statement opposing the name of the Washington team, as well as other disparaging references to American Indians by other professional sports franchises. Other Native American groups advocating change include: the Native American Bar Association of DC, the National Caucus of Native American State Legislators, and the Society of American Indian Government Employees.

2 Likes

Racism aside, it’s just in poor taste and if you have to stoop to those types of jokes in a tech related channel it means you don’t have much worthwhile to say.

2 Likes