How much of Ashenvale do the Night Elves control now?

Couldn’t the ancestors in question be trolls?

Ashenvale is pretty much back to Cata, the horde is still invading it despite any claims there is an “armistice”. Also darkshore is abandoned as of exploring Kalimdor except the shattered spear trolls are back there, night elf settlements are not.

1 Like

The Night Elves never signed into the armistice and thus are not subject to its protections.
You don’t get to very decidedly refuse to sign the armistice and then claim that the Horde is breaking the armistice.

1 Like

I mean we still hear that the Horde broke the post-wrath armistice despite it definitively being Tyrande that broke the arrangement (yes, she thought Garrosh did first, I get that)

1 Like

I guess what we need to have happen is to have a Night Elf Princess married off to some boy in Stormwind after he relocates to some breezy island.

A night elf dating a human? Who does she think she is? A Windrunner?

8 Likes

I’ve been rereading David Eddings again.

Tyrande never attacked the horde first after wrath, the horde attacked first both with killing that alliance ship crew in the shattering (different from the and attacking them first in wolfheart as well as initially invading ashenvale first in the cataclysm intro description

Among other catastrophes, an enormous volcano has erupted in central Ashenvale. As the night elves struggle to deal with the chaos caused by the Cataclysm, the Horde is seizing what it perceives to be a golden opportunity. Garrosh Hellscream’s forces are now bearing down upon the night elves and have overtaken several key positions that once served as Alliance strongholds. There is a definite feeling that the balance of power in this region now teeters on a goblin tripwire…

The only ones who broke the initial peace were the hordes by each measure after wrath.

Tyrande broke the terms of the armistice agreement first in retaliation for the Horde’s percieved culpability in the attack on druids in Ashenvale.

Which would be bad enough in good times but telling the orcs to just go die of starvation while sitting on effectively infinite food/wood due to wisps and their massive swath of woods was never going to end well when there was one obvious solution for the orcs and it wasn’t starvation and you just effectively reopened the war…

Ironically for as bad as Garrosh was, the whole cata war could have been averted if Tyrande or Cairne were willing to do even a little investigation or just didn’t jump the gun and take extreme action first.

3 Likes

The tradedeal was not a part of the armistice.

2 Likes

Let me go find my old copy of the shattering, I believe it was in there or one of the short stories on the website when Garrosh was confronted over Ashenvale.

And hell, even if it wasn’t it was a massively stupid blunder on Tyrande’s part. During a global crisis you’re going to consign an entire race to death you could mitigate trivially because of one attack, half of the victims being Tauren?

What the hell did she think was going to happen? She could have used those resources as leverage for being given the ability to investigate in horde lands or talk to horde members, she could have given a warning that any further attacks would risk trade, she could have talked to Cairne who was also furious and coordinated a response, she could have done literally anything but taunt hungry orcs about how alllll that tasty food was going to stay where it is in Nelf lands.

the trade stopped because of the wrathgate incident, and not because anything else.

4 Likes

No she didn’t. They stopped trade because of the wrathgate, but that wasn’t part of any armistice.

Political tensions continued to rise as the night elves of Darnassus have refused trade with the Horde and barred them from Ashenvale in protest of the Wrathgate

There is so much bad information going around, I thought this was all sorted out long ago.

According to some hordeposters like forumtrolls, the horde have every right to attack if a souveran state don´t want to trade with them.

4 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know if a lot of these posters do it intentionally, relaying false/bad lore information, but it gets pretty annoying. And then they try to blame Tyrande for everything, if you just read forum posts here you would think Tyrande was the reason all the problems in this story, and the orc supremacist garrosh was just an innocent person who never did anything wrong.

1 Like

Found it. Wow comic #17

Trade between the Alliance between Horde was literally part of the Theramore summit terms.

Garrosh and Anduin even had a short foreshadowing conversation about conquest vs trade as a means to get the same thing.

Tyrande took away the trade option. Guess what’s left.

According to some Allainceposters like Zahirwrite, sitting on a hoard of food and laughing while watching children die is a moral and just thing to do.

2 Likes

What? What are you smoking? The difference between the two point is that you can´t force another state to trade with you and if you invade this state then you will not have good terms in the long run…if you loose.

And …it was not the night elfs problem…

Comis are -as far as i´m aware - noncanon.

and if this not part of the varian comic? So…at the start of wotlk, your source? And not at the end?

1 Like

The night elves trading with them wasn’t part of that treaty, the humans were trading them lumber was in it, and this is with garrosh saying they should just take what they want:

Thrall explains that the orcs lack certain resources in their new home and are in constant conflict with the night elves over the harvesting of timber. Varian and Thrall conclude that Alliance merchants might gladly trade their timber to the orcs, and in exchange the Horde can offer copper from deposits near Orgrimmar and exotic animal hides from the Barrens. Garrosh questions why the orcs should need to make concessions when they can simply take what they want by force, but Anduin points out that he could gain much greater profit with a few words than by wasting his resources and warriors in battle.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Gathering_Thunder!

The only thing explicitly noncanon about them is Me’dan, loads of characters and story beats from the comic have been shown to be canon in game.

But if they’re not, that also means the formal armistice didn’t happen, as as far as I know, that’s the only source for the post-Wrath treaty, and thus the war was still ongoing from Varian’s initial declaration.

The Orcs were willing to back up the Nelves at Hyjal in their most dire hour of need despite being in a hot war at the time, and had just got done with a costly and brutal invasion against a mutual enemy.

Refusing to help or even do a mutually beneficial trade when the resource in question is one you can produce in extreme excess is horrifically cruel, and shortsighted when you know full well from direct experience that the orcs can just go back and take what they need to survive.

1 Like

Again, Night elves trading with the horde was not part of the comic treaty. Stop trying to blame Tyrande for everything.

Everyone on Azeroth would have been killed because of what the horde did to bring the legion to azeroth again, Hyjal was not just the night elves problem.

1 Like