How many servers would we have if

yea, if you get over max wanting to log in, you get a queue.
At some point you get a queue no matter what.
Host can not run unlimited pop, nor unlimited layers

number of characters on realm has no bearing on anything, i could have 10k characters on a realm (if i could afford that many accounts)
they are nothing but database entries, means nothing to the host as far as concurrent logons

1 Like

Right so then why do you keep bringing up the over all size of the server?

The number of players that can log in is the same as roughly what a vanilla server used to hold now that they have removed layering from all servers.

That’s why a number of servers suddenly got hit with queues over night. It wasn’t because more people were logging in suddenly. It was because layers were removed which limited the number of players to 1 layer.

1 layer being roughly what a vanilla server could hold.

This really isn’t that hard to figure out,.

Why do people keep saying this?

Do any servers have a 10k+ queue?

He didn’t bring up layers, he was specifically talking about the difference in server capacity back in Vanilla to today’s server capacity.

3k was the threshold back then due to technology, now it’s much greater.

But it translates over.

If online pop was 10k, the servers who had 2 layers up until the very end would be experiencing 10k queue numbers at peak times since that added layer is no longer there.

And I asked because I’m not to sure but I don’t think there are.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2019/08/26/warcraft-classic-layering-and-realm-queues-ion-hazzikostas-explains-why-youre-waiting-to-log-in/#61f38ff97e45

Ion specifically answers the question of how large each layer will be.

Newman: How big is a single layer? What’s the end target you’re shooting for, for each server?

Hazzikostas: Each layer is effectively going to be what a healthy server was at launch in 2004 in terms of the number of people it holds.

And since we’re now down to single layer servers…

This really isn’t rocket science people.

It shouldn’t be. When you squish several layers into one you’re increasing the number of people playing together.

“With hotfixes that we are currently deploying to all WoW Classic realms, we are substantially increasing the number of players that can be simultaneously logged in and playing.”

What could have possibly given you the idea that servers were anything close to Vanilla?

The problem with that question is the corollary. How would you deal with the dead realms left by the initial surge of players dying off? Blizzard did layering, after all, to avoid dead servers and server merges once the initial onslaught had passed.

And what happened when they finally removed all layers from servers?

People got hit with queues over night.

Why? Well you just explained it, they suddenly crammed people from several layers into one.

Really this is not rocket science.

Yes all those quotes about increasing server size were while layering was still in place and are now irrelevant.

It’s not irrelevant because they haven’t decreased the number of players that can log in concurrently.

Except they did…

That’s why servers suddenly started getting queues over night…

1 Like

Size of server has nothing to do with amount of characters created on it, i dont know why you are entering this into discussion?

No, it is not.
You do realize that you can roughly count the people on your server
on a saturday night (you need a friend to go do other faction)
I say roughly cause you are going to get some overlaps as people move around and such but not enough to make a huge difference.

And vanilla servers did not hold 6700 concurrent people.

I am not sure why this is being argued when Blizzard themselves said the servers hold more people concurrently then they did in vanilla.

It’s also why stuff respawns really fast, to handle larger pop

No they didn’t. Nowhere did Blizzard say they decreased the number of players that can log in concurrently since August. If you had 8k people on 5 layers and removed those layers, how many people do you have on that server?

Yes the queues returned when layering was removed which only means the cap isn’t 40k. Doesn’t mean it isn’t 15k, 10k, 20k, or whatever Blizzard set the cap at.

It sure as hell isn’t 3.5k like Vanilla.

Pretty sure he doesn’t play Classic and is just a forum troll.

1 Like

Oh, well now i feel silly :rofl:

Servers with no queues literally started having queues over night.

The reason why was they removed layers and thereby lowered the number of concurrent logins.

This really really isn’t rocket science or even hobby story rocket science man.

They specifically said 1 layer would have approximately the same size as a vanilla server. We now have 1 layer per server, hence servers are now at roughly vanilla size. Maybe you just didn’t play on a high pop server in vanilla?

Yes while layering was in place servers held more.

Each layer though only held around vanilla levels. We are now at 1 layer per server.

Figure it out.

You’re a refail troll. Not hard to figure out. Your math is bad and your lies are worse.