How many of you will actually stop playing retail WoW?

For myself, I have to agree with Apprehended. I have a small, but good group of players in my community in current WoW. I plan on committing time to both games because of them and the community I hope to find in Classic. I am hoping to find like minded people when Classic launches. While Classic is likely to be my favorite overall, there are things I do enjoy from time to time in current. For me, it is getting two different games for the price of one.

2 Likes

Already quit.

3 Likes

I don’t play wow now but I imagine those that want to pay for their subscription with gold are going to have to play both retail and classic since it was harder to make gold in vanilla.

I think most like me already stopped long ago. I unsubbed 1 week after hitting 120. BfA is hot garbage.

2 Likes

Play…retail? LOL , had a laugh right there for a little bit.

7 Likes

I left WoW mid-Burning Crusade. I felt the game had really gotten class design down as of that expansion, but I wasn’t happy about all my rather recently-acquired raiding gear being immediately outclassed by green world drops, heralding the beginning of the accelerating gear treadmill. I also found the dungeons boring, and the split-faction rep grinds (draenei/blood elf) locked me out of what looked at the time like a lot of the quest content in Outland. Most folks felt there wasn’t much point to continue doing any vanilla raiding, so that dried up and I never got to experience AQ40 or Naxxramas outside of a guest run for one boss each because the leet raiding guilds couldn’t muster the numbers from their own ranks for lack of interest. I never did manage to do any Burning Crusade raids.

I looked back as the next couple of expansions came out, only to see things getting less and less interesting. Instead of adding to classes, they were taking things away and railroading specs, so that I wouldn’t even be able to play my character in the way I had enjoyed during vanilla and Burning Crusade. I created a trial account when I heard about Classic and played a few toons to 20 in Legion, and it was dead boring. Half the quests I remembered from starting areas were just gone with no replacements, nobody was talking or grouping (because nobody needed to), and leveling to 20 took minutes instead of many hours.

I think I left WoW right at the inflection point, having missed out on “completing” vanilla. I would love to play vanilla 2.0, with the Burning Crusade class updates but not the content. That might even happen if Classic is successful and Blizzard does a BC:Classic.

4 Likes

Lol. I would reckon a whole lot of us dont play retail.

I haven’t played since WOD. So yeah. To hell with retail.

2 Likes

I originally wanted to just play on the Everquest progression servers. One in particular (Agnarr) locked at one of the most popular xpacs during EQ’s tenure so i was ALL over it. However, one thing that i didn’t consider was that it was a PvE server and after BiS capping your 5th alt you REALLY start to want an outlet for those monster toons.

Now with WoW classic, which is still heavily influenced by EQ (good thing) i can get what i want and get pvp along with it as well. 100% only going to play classic until pantheon

Oh man I’ve been unsubbed for so long already. Once I sub for Classic admittedly I’ll poke my head into Retail now and again but there’s just no long term appeal in it for me.

5 Likes

Ready to dump retail when classic is out. Think I’ll delete my characters and give away all my stuff when it comes out in true spirit of classic. Yes you can have all my stuff.

Except my gold :grin:

6 Likes

For me it’s entirely dependent on whether retail continues with its current gaming model. I have no interest playing an MMO like BFA and will stick entirely to Classic if things stay as they are.

4 Likes

I’ve only got the last few expacs for story, and played maybe several months after release. The content of the BfA story, the delayed release of it and the whole “wait and see” approach, had me already quitting.

I’m literally just waiting for Classic, and am so excited.

I am not playing retail/ current WoW now but would will likely resub to play Classic. I am hesitant to say I would 100% resub to play Classic because the devs are talking about loot trading and sharding.

I have not played BFA but I played at the start of Legion and I am following along with everything that is happening. I have major problems with the loot system in the current game, the crazy amount of dungeon/ raid difficulties, lack or player agency, and lack of any kind of community in the current game. If Blizzard was able to address all of my concerns with the current game I would give it a try.

I have wanted Classic for years now, because I miss the way Vanilla and TBC played. Sure everything is streamlined and all the Classes are “viable” but I dont believe that the current game is very good. Classic will never be the same as when Vanilla was the current game. I never get to explore the game from the perspective of a complete noob again and Vanilla is more or less all figured out. But I still think Classic will be way better then any of the last few expansions.

What I want more then Classic Vanilla or TBC is new content but with game philosophy of vanilla and TBC. I dont want Blizzard to make new content after Naxx other then maybe a TBC server. But I would want to see Blizzard make big changes to the next expansion after BFA to bring back the great game play that Vanilla and TBC had.

I think that now is a great time for Blizzard to take chances and make the big changes that I want to see and I think alot of people want to see happen. They certainly dont have that many subs left to lose

4 Likes

Depends if i find a decent guild at 60 and if i get sick of not having epics or a fast mount lol.

I enjoy the speed of retail sometimes, logon, do some WQ’s, relax.

I quit playing Retail early on in Legion. (Cancelled the sub two months in, but played out the full 6 months I’d paid for.)

So, “no”, I’m not going to quit for Classic because I quit before Classic was even announced. To me, at least, they are two entirely different games, and my reasons for not bothering with Retail have no more to do with having Classic than with me playing 7 Days to Die.

There are gameplay elements in Retail that I find repellent. I’m painfully aware of the gimmicks to get people to repeat the same content over and over, or encourage logging in daily for rewards of no value. I’m HIGHLY antagonistic toward marketing tricks and if the entertainment of my choice isn’t delivering fun, I’m not interested.

To make Retail a game I would want to play again, it would have to offer more quests than I could possibly complete in two years, a world that I really enjoyed engaging with (rather than a forced story quest system with cutscenes), professions that were a real diversion with fun quirky craftables, and much more.

But … it would have to stop being the game it is, and there are people who enjoy the Mythic+ Dungeons and enjoy chasing new Mythic raid clears every few months, or competitively doing PvP for rank and rewards. That’s not fair to take away the game they enjoy to please me, especially with Classic promising to finally give me back the game that had it all and more.

8 Likes

I mean, I already unsubbed this month. Haven’t played retail since early December aside from checking out 8.1 for about two hours or so.

I’d do enough to keep a token flowing in every month and do my mount farming but that would be about it.

1 Like

Haven’t paid for retail since early Cataclysm - I never got to any current content that mattered before the next expansion came out.

Heirlooms and other catch-up mechanics, the constant butchering of talent trees and making prior raids/dungeons into irrelevant content would constantly chip away any desire I had to play the game - knowing that the only permanence of reward I would get would be a digital achievement later down the line and I would have to get back on the treadmill.

Not to mention that paying the box cost every time a new expansion came out is a bit of an insult to anyone who already paid $180 in subscription for the year and makes it more difficult to sell to new players because they have to make a bigger initial investment.

2 Likes

Stopped paid sub last year. Playing retail just to farm gold to stock up tokens to pay for classic when it comes out. If Blizz don’t screw up Classic I’ll switch fully and gladly pay them the sub dollars. My wife can have my retail gold & tokens :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the love of all that is holy ALL OF THIS!