How is everyone doing on keybinds?

I just took a look at the abilities I’d be acquiring w/ shadowlands which include:

Covenant ability
Covenant class ability
Water shield
Manatide totem
Earth Shield

As well as several keybinds for talents/spells im moving around. It’s a jigsaw puzzle, y’all…anybody else stressed?

3 Likes

not particularly. I’m not going to bind the movement ability, water shield or mana tide to any key as they don’t really need one. They can be clicked as needed.

the loss of the azerite essences gives way for the covenant ability to take it’s space on my keys, and earth shield I will probably bind it with lava burst.

My keybinds are

1 Healing surge/flame shock
2 Healing wave/lightning bolt
3 Cloudburst
4 Riptide
5 Healing rain
6 Healing tide
Mouse 4 Ghost wolf
Mouse 5 Unleash life
R Wind Shear
E Dispell/Purge
Q Lava Burst/Earth shield (?)
F Chain Heal/Chain lightning
X SLT
T Vesper Totem
Alt T Astral shift

Everything else I just click, there’s not much else that’s urgent that needs a keybind imo.

(Psst. I never even bound my essence…)

1 Like

I came back well after nazjatar and nyalotha so trying not to be too overwhelmed lol

I don’t know what spec you are. I played Resto for 8.3 - there’s a decent amount of niche utility spells I just didn’t bother to bind, and it tends to be the same for most classes but shamans have so many abilities it’s especially true there.

My recommendation is just play around. See what you do press a lot, or need to press a lot. Some things aren’t worth the bind imo

Resto main. Mana shield def seems like a clicker. And I never bound Earth Tremor cause fears show up like once an xpac…

Otherwise I do try to bind as many defensives as possible just in case :x

Am I nuts or did we used to be able to drop Tremor Totem after the fear went out?

I feel like with you having to drop it just before it comes out, the usefulness falls away. Because there’s always that ninth add in a big add pack hiding behind another guy and I never see the cast bar until it’s too late.

You’re not nuts. Not because of this anyways.

Cataclysm[Patch 4.0.6](2011-02-08): Tremor Totem can now be used while afflicted by [Fear], [Charm] and [Sleep effects], and pulses much more rapidly. Duration reduced to 6 seconds, down from 5 minutes. Cooldown added.

Warlords of Draenor[Patch 6.0.2] (2014-10-14): No longer usable while under the effects of Fear, Charm, or Sleep, but its duration has been increased to 10 seconds (up from 6 seconds).

It’s better this way. Proactive gameplay is much better than reactive button presses to entirely negate something.

Not at all stressed, I have about 52 keybinds - enough for any class / spec / covenant combination.

All ready for the Shadowlands!

1 Like

I use Shift/Ctrl/Alt variants, so I’m never short on binds.

Also, binding the tilde (spelling?) key (looks like: ` )is nice and comfy for the left hand which a lot of people seem to forget about.

2 Likes

I’ll agree as long as the ability in question is off the GCD and has no resource cost.

I have no desire to have things like interrupts go on (or back to) the GCD, for instance. I kind of put Tremor in the same book. It’s basically a fear-specific interrupt.

Are those help/harm macros? Omg such a good idea :scream:

But which tooltip do you track for them?

Water shield will be ALT+scrollwheeldown, earth shield on myself will be ALT+SWU ill use clique with earth shield on others with left click to apply on party frames. manatide totem will be shift+r. You just have to be creative and be willing to practice other keybind combos you might not be comfortable with at first but will be with more practice.

I use 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
C,v,b,q,e,r,t,f,g then all these again with shift and alt
Shift 1-7
Alt 1-7
Ctrl 6
`
Mouse wheel
Mouse wheel down

You’ve got some long fingers lol. I can only do shift & alt mods in practice w/o adjusting my hand to much.

I use T, F, G, H for movement. I bind everything my left hand can easily reach w/o looking around that (1-8, Q-I, A-K, Z-M). Then I bind two of the buttons on my gaming mouse as ALT and CTRL so I have 3 variants on all the keybinds.

That gives me about 80 keybinds w/everything in reasonable reach. I use macros [e.g., “cast [nomod] healing surge, cast [mod: alt, @focus] healing surge, cast [mod: ctrl, abyssal healing potion]” so that base key functionality can be changed w/o having to take up 3 boxes on the UI.

I organize my keybinds so they make sense intuitively to me (attacks are 6-8, Y-I, CC is J-k, heals B-M, defensives/movement - A-D, Interrupts/purge/utility - Q-R, defensive dispel like clease and PvP trinket - Z-V). More frequent stuff I put in the easiest to hit places (e.g., healing surge on B vs chain heal on M for enhance).

For healing spec I swap the healing and damage location of the keybinds.

Yeah see this is more like me Zezu, I also use UHJK instead of WASD and ofc double mouse click with strafe and auto run to move.

That frees up the entire left side of the keyboard giving me also around 50 keybinds when iterating alt + or shift + letters and numbers. 1-7

Play what feels right. Don’t need people on the forums to tell you how to keybinds since everyone sets themselves up differently.

Buy a foot pedal and make it simulate pressing the shift key.

1 Like

I already have about 20-25. Another few more? Bring it.

Yeah they’re heal/harm macros.

Most abilities that have a CD aren’t bound with anything else, so I just typically display the heal spell in the tooltip. In the case of Lava Burst I use that tooltip so I can see when it comes off CD.

Flame shock is my only real ‘problem’ at the moment. It’s buried behind healing surge, but it’s such a short CD that it’s just ‘usually’ up anyways if I need to cast it again.