How do you pick your talents

Magic 8-Ball.

1 Like

For a spec Iā€™m not familiar with, the best way Iā€™ve found is to either look at the arena ladder for pvp or Raider IO for pve and just look at whoever the best is and copy them.

If I know whatā€™s going on with the spec, Iā€™ll just pick the most logical things and if those suck, Iā€™ll do the above :joy:

Itā€™s saves a ton of time because the pros have already put in the work to find whatā€™s best.

1 Like

I picked mine to have CoI, Abominable limb and obliterate

:dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean:

RaidIO/pvp Leaderboards. Find one of the top players and copy paste for the spec Iā€™m playing. Someoneā€™s gotta run the same spec and stay at the bottomā€¦ why not me.

1 Like

Just usin the starter buildā€¦easyā€¦and have zero problems doin my thing.

never understood the need to complicate things in a gameā€¦lol

1 Like

I know what I want my toon to be good at (based on prior play), and start with that.

Then I play and modify along the way.

1 Like

Find talents that fit the role. IE: if its a tank role i pick things that mitigate damage and give faster cooldowns

Dps is a dartboard. Just pick what looks neat

Healers, same as tank. More heals, charges and faster cooldowns.

1 Like

I look at the top arena players for my class/spec then copy over their spec and make maybe a few changes for my own taste. Never steered me wrong so far.

1 Like

The biggest problem I have with guides; whether for myself or other people; is that they donā€™t explain why they take the talents they do.

And if there is an explanation section itā€™s usually an explication like ā€œX talent simply performs better than Yā€ or ā€œX isnā€™t good right nowā€.

And thatā€™s it. Why isnā€™t X talent good right now? What makes Y perform better? Why is the left side preferred over the right? Ectā€¦

They donā€™t teach you how to use your talents. Just copy and paste and do the rotation I tell you to.

They donā€™t help you learn why they picked those talents. And without learning why those choices are made, youā€™re never going to get better at your class and youā€™re not going to perform at the level that the guide suggests.

1 Like

Itā€™s more fun to level and pick as you go because youā€™re digesting slower than if you log in to a revamp you have to tackle all at once.

If youā€™re max level going starter build is fine. Explore other deep options and ask yourself if it sounds fun to try and do it if you want. You have unlimited time to experiment around and try things out if it doesnā€™t feel good.

When it comes to performance you just have to use what they recommend, but before that ask yourself how much care about playing the spec in a fun way that does less or not. Thereā€™s nothing wrong playing suboptimally if that increases your enjoyment, just make sure not to play with people who expect you to min/max.

1 Like

For endgame content, wowhead/youtube, copy paste.
For BGs or low keys, I make my own.

1 Like

For me there are no ā€œwrongā€ ones. I just grab what I think sounds good, or maybe even something that just sounds like fun to mess with.

Iā€™m not mythic raiding, so I dont really care about min-maxing my character that much.

1 Like

This.

Took the default, noticed what I didnā€™t have on my toolbar that I wanted, and hammered it to fit until I got back what I wanted.

In 10.1, Iā€™m going to have to do some work since theyā€™re kind of forcing Demon Fire on Destro Warlock, something I donā€™t use today (and, to be honest, donā€™t want to use ā€“ I find I do not like channeled spells).

1 Like

4 Likes

I pick what I like then I sim it then try a cookie cutter from wowhead or icy and see theirs does 20k more DPS so go with one of them even though it prob only actually increased my DPS by 2k.

1 Like

There is no wrong one unless youā€™re a min/max raider where, at that point, you should get a build off the interweb designed by smarter people.

To answer your question. I choose builds based on my playstyle.

For example: If I find my rotation uses kill comand a ton, I make sure I buff it in the tree. On the other hand if I find I never use a spell as much, Ill make sure to take points out of it. Again, this is casual thinking, not end game min/max.

You can always simulate yourself with a sim add on if youā€™re concerned about your numbers.

1 Like

I play around with talents constantly leveling and try to get a feel for different options then settle on something and refine it with play testing.

For me making builds and playing with spec systems are the most enjoyable parts of RPGs/MMOs.

1 Like

Good lord thereā€™s a fire!

first wowhead guides page
then when iā€™m comfortable and want to do higher content - check a guilde from some top100 player on youtube, they love making those

WoWhead export then import into the game