How do you defeat depression

Why defeat it? Channel it into making emo music or some cool stories like Poe.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear you’re going through it, OP. I’m sure it sounds trite and obvious, but talking to someone about it really can help a lot. It has certainly helped me a lot over the years. A close friend or family member in whom you can confide is definitely a great option if possible. A doctor or therapist of course. But otherwise there are helplines you can call in most countries. Or even online resources you can reach out to.

I hope you get through it and feel better soon.

Its a hard thing to do.

I am just living with mine. Its not as bad as others have like no dark thoughts or anything but it can be really hard sometimes just to get out of bed in the morning.

I havent spoken to anyone about mine professionally yet as a lot of meds can make it worse.

Also its more of a if you want to defeat it or not type of thing honestly. Some say they want too but dont actively seek help and others just dont speak up about it.

However the first step would be to open up to someone you trust and know wont blow you off as talking really does help

3 Likes

Oh no I’m totally with you. I’ve unfortunately had to really give a friend the riot act within this past year because he was complaining about his life while dealing with serious depression but in the volatile, lashing out at everyone and making issues kind of situation and I had to be bluntly honest and tell him to get himself together and get professional help to solve his issues.

He’s in a better spot lately since then. I don’t like dancing around situations or sugar coating them either: I’m someone who’s had to develop a thick skin and push through my issues because at the end of the day, I realised no one can really help you but yourself as much as others can support you and encourage you in the right direction.

That’s for friends anyway, the advice of strangers has no merit (unless you’re that small % of people who have no one then, I understand that small talk then can mean something.)

To the OP though, I really hope you find a way forward: consider the options people have listed here but definitely seek someone a bit closer for full support.

You’re right,you can’t it normally a cycle of highs and lows a person can only minimize the effects. When you realize it starting find a away to head it off before it gets worse,yet some people it’s not that easy and it help may come to late.

Professionals aren’t just there for medication. That’s an option, but ultimately, they’re there to be a constant unwavering member of team “you.” They may recommend some reading, exercise, diet changes, or dozens of different things. The point is, they’re going to find a solution that works for you. That may include medication, as some conditions are the result of physical chemical imbalances, but anything that “makes it worse” is not going to be continued to be prescribed.

I got antidepressants am finally able to learn the life tools I need.

2 Likes

Yep. It’s not that the advice of strangers is incorrect per se, but they have zero investment or continuity in your issues. A professional may recommend exactly what people here recommend. But the point is, should those things not work, a professional will continue to work on a solution. And they have the resources to find something that finally works.

2 Likes

Lots and lots and lots of dragon riding

Really depends on the situation. Some are quite healthy individuals but they hate their job, or wife, or something. Some are in a big rut, and depressed because of it. What has worked for me is baby steps in the right direction, and they eventually become the better habit. Like say healthy eating sucks the first few weeks, but it’s like your body adapts to it all of a sudden, and you start feeling better. So there’s a bunch of different things ppl can do in different circumstances, but usually sitting idle is partly causing the depression. I know some say there’s nothing that can be done about their depression, but I disagree.

2 Likes

You’re not going to find the answer on here

I am disabled :frowning:

With what?

1. Physical exercise. Not kidding. Just Google: exercise and depression.

Or read this to start:

~https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/exercise-is-an-all-natural-treatment-to-fight-depression

How disabled?

I’m not suggesting you take this up as a sport, but this film is awesome inspiration:

~https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436613/

I can give you some tips, based on my personal experience.

Depression is often caused by the feeling that you have lost/losing control of your life, bad things seems to happen to you that you cannot respond to.

Firstly it is a state of mind, some events might be outside of your control, but you can control how you feel about them.

Breaking down the issues you face in to smaller goals will make challenges less daunting to tackle.

Things that you can’t control is probably not worth your time.

Also don’t be afraid to fail, this fear of failure has held me back in the past, each time you fail, you learn abit more, even if you ultimately cannot succeed on something, you would still have learned enough to explore alternative options.

1 Like

That is another problem facing people with disabilities and it’s long lasting ,bro just now coming with terms with mom’s death and it’s 12 years now. It doesn’t help much when you can’t walk far or have muscle spasm problems.

1 Like

Actually I found CBD is quite good for anxiety and it’s not psychoactive.

2 Likes

As you get older you’ll realize just how much writing is inspired by depression, which will depress you for a while until it doesn’t. Different wounds run the same depths.

1 Like

Not spending too much time in the game .

Meeting Friends and Family and people you love .

Doctor isn’t sure yet. One major consideration is MS. I am in a lot of pain all the time, can’t walk very much/far. Have to use a can and even a wheelchair if out and about too much.

Already on meds, and have a therapist… doesn’t seem to help. :confused: