How do we avoid cloning over gold to TBC?

So unless I am missing something it seems like you will be able to copy large amounts of gold over and over repeatedly unless there is some sort of cap or something with gold when copying to TBC server:

• Create a new account
  • Trade all your current gold to that new account
  • Copy that character from the new account over to TBC
  • Trade all the gold on classic back to original character
  • Create another 2nd new account
  • Trade all the gold over the the new 2nd account
  • Copy the 2nd account over to TBC with all the gold a 2nd time
  • Repeat

Is there anything in place to stop this from happening? Does this mean there will be a gold/item cap?

I am not advocating for this, I am just wondering what is in place to stop this from happening because if it is possible that will be terrible for the economy and the game. Hopefully there is something in place that I am missing. /shrug

Yea you missed the part where you won’t be cloning to TBC.

13 Likes

Go easy on the drinking, OP.

6 Likes

You gonna pay the transfer fee for 2.5k gold? Chill daddy.

Yes we can. They specifically said we can PAY to copy our Classic era toons to TBC if we decide we wanted to do that.

Well theres the fact that the copy to TBC isn’t free. That might prevent some people.

There are also gold restrictions when transferring servers on classic. I’m sure there will be the same restrictions when going from Classic > TBC.

Edit: Also, making gold in TBC is soooo much easier than classic. Not sure why someone would do that anyway.

1 Like

Because people freak out over everything. They react emotionally to everything instead of taking a second and thinking about something.

2 Likes

It wasn’t worded like that or at the least thats not how I perceived it.

I heard it as being able to not choose one or the other but both and not necessarily choosing one then deciding later on I do want both.

Wait…what?

You can’t clone to TBC.

Servers will progress to TBC. You can
a) free transfer to classic only realm
b) stay on the server and play TBC
c) pay to clone to a classic only realm, once per character.

Now of course, you could transfer your gold to another character, and then pay to transfer that character over, to clone gold to the classic only realm. But you aren’t cloning it over to a TBC realm.

(That said, the cloning details aren’t set in stone yet, and I would bet good money blizzard has thought of this, and just didn’t go into it in the show today)

3 Likes

What? Are you reading it or going off the blizzconline DEVS saying it? I am talking about what the devs themselves said.

There will come a day where we have to choose: Stay on our server and progress to TBC or move to Classic Era server. You will have to decide this with each and every character. It is not an account wide decision.

If you later decide you want to move to TBC you can PAY to copy that classic era toon to TBC. I am unsure how you perceived anything any differently. I am going off of what the 3 real humans said during the classic whats next panel at blizzconline.

I feel like I am going insane trying to understand what you people are trying to say about cloning gold.

Once you transfer one way or the other why would you magically get back the gold you just traded to a alt?

The third option isn’t a transfer, it’s a clone.

So you would still be able to access the TBC character, move the gold, and then clone a second character (with the same gold).

Again, I am pretty sure this theoretical will be fixed at some point, but that’s how it works with how it is presented now.

Ah I see.

I assume they would just make it so you can’t transfer a character that was made past a certain point on a TBC server back to classic.

They’ll cap gold like they always do. Max 2000 to TBC or smthn.

Possible, but it would need more than that.

If I were so inclined to spend the money, I right now have 8 characters on one server (3 of them 60).

Nothing stopping me from tripling my gold on the new classic servers from the restrictions we know about atm.

I think they’ll properly restrict it, though.

The way I see it is that the current servers, as they stated, will be progressions servers. That means that what we have on these servers will have no exploit like that. The classic servers though will likely need some sort of exploit prevention as your character will be copied to that given server.

Classic Era servers are the ones being newly created and transferred to, not TBC servers. These servers now are becoming TBC servers. It was very plainly put out.

Why is this so hard to understand.

Player logs on and selects character to play, upon doing so will be prompted to either choose progressing on current server, or move to a classic era server. This decision will be made before logging in. And once logged in, cannot go back and interact with other characters not also selected for progression server.