How do we avoid cloning over gold to TBC?

No idea where you heard that from the devs today. That was not stated. You can pay to clone your chars to both places or chose to xfer your char to a classic locked server which is a one way door. If you choose this you will not be able to progress that char to TBC later from what they have stated so far.

So when you transfer everything to a character, clone it, then play it as normal on both TBC and classic (era) servers, what happens?

From the WoW TBC Website FAQ:
Can I keep my character in an Era realm and a Progression realm at the same time?

Yes. We’re introducing a new character ‘clone’ service. You may purchase this service only once per WoW character. Once you do, that hero will be allowed to venture forth into Burning Crusade Classic while their copy continues their original adventure on a Classic Era realm.

Also no gold cap as reported by this Wowhead article
https://classic.wowhead.com/news=321034/the-burning-crusade-classic-no-gold-cap-on-transfers

Everyone seems to think that a “Cloned” toons gold total will show up in 2 places (Classic Era & TBC), maybe with some cap total they have not yet announced! This is a theory, and not one I would risk personally. The OP went even further, saying this could be done several times before pre-patch by creating new characters? I think this has clearly been debunked because there will be only “One Snapshot” taken to determine what a potentially cloned toon has in their possession!

2 Likes

This thread is from February, and was done before anyone knew how the cloning would work.

That said, just to be clear, since all characters are getting copied at the same time, which is during he maintenance period when they roll the pre-patch out, there is no option for transferring gold between characters to somehow game the system.

Yes, if you clone a character, it will have all items and gold it had in both Classic and TBC, but transferring that gold to another character say on TBC and then trying to activate it on Classic will do nothing since the copy you activate would have been made prior at the gold transfer.

We have known how the cloning would work in relation to the snapshot since Blizzconlive.

This keeps going around. It might look like they are “copied” onto both versions but they really aren’t. They character DB is being snapshot and that new snapshot/table will be frozen.

When you chose to go TBC is when the snapshot is copied to TBC. Or if you chose classic it is copied from the snapshot. If you chose to clone, then one copy of the snapshot has been made and then another will be made.

It would be terribly wasteful from a data storage or data sanity point to make copies of everyone to two places. Especially since some characters will never activate. That is a lot of overhead. If that makes sense

They are two separate games that once you transfer or clone to one, they will not be able to interact in ANY way whatsoever.

You will have the same amount of gold as you have right now. For both games if you choose the cloning option.

Isn’t there a single, one time snapshot of the characters?

So, I assume (I could very well be wrong) that if you create a fresh character on Classic Era, won’t be available to TBC, likewise, all gold on a character moving to TBC had their inventory locked in place for this one time snapshot.

Edit:

Old thread that’s been necro’d :roll_eyes:

lol we have gotten more info about this now! although those going exclusively into TBC can still give their classic era friends their gold to hold onto during the snapshotting process… if they trust them… but this does not create or dupe any gold

tinfoil hat off
for now