How do people find a guild in WoW these days?

I have been away from WoW for many years. I recently came back and been playing but my guild is dead. I wanted to find a guild that suited me atm but I’m having a difficult time even finding potential guilds let alone a suitable guild.

The in-game “Guild Finder” is apparently broken? You do a search for guilds and returns various “active” guilds that state 80 or even 600 “active” members but if you apply nobody answers and if you do a /who g- guildname there is either nobody online or maybe 1 person. Considering I’m already a 1 person guild this isn’t very helpful. Why this tool is showing dead guilds as “active” is a mystery.

The realm forums in the distant past used to have active guild recruitment threads back in the day. My current realm forum doesn’t even have a single sticky in it and the posts at the top of the forum are in some cases months or years old? Dead forum as well I guess.

The “Recruitment” specific forum isn’t much better. It has all realms mashed together and if I search for my realm it only has a couple recent recruitment posts for raid focused guilds and the rest of them are from like 2018.

I know there is a raid progress site but that only shows raid focused guilds and I’m not really looking for a raid focused guild atm so not sure that is really that useful.

Is this game much more dead than I realized? Are casual guilds even a thing anymore? If so, how are players finding a selection of active guilds to apply to?

2 Likes

First: Narrow down what type of guild you are looking for.
Let’s say for this example you want a guild that does Heroic Raiding.

Second: Where can these guilds be tracked?
WarcraftLogs, wowprogress, Server leaderboards, etc. etc.
Where else?
Hang around current Raid entrance on prime time. Ask in Trade/General.

Third: Create a list of the ones that you would like to join.

Fourth: Identify GM, and Officials of such Guilds and add them to friend lists.
Fifth: Whisper if they can talk when online. Explain you are returning and searching and what criteria they have? Can you apply?

Get invite. Profit.

3 Likes

If you post on your realm’s forum, guilds will come to you.

1 Like

It’s not broken. Even if you apply for a guild, you won’t be invited unless someone at a high enough rank (who can view the applicants list) invites you. Sometimes they can be picky.

You could also try asking Trade chat, or expressing that you’re interested in a guild that focuses on… whatever you’re interested in.

4 Likes

Go into a major city and the whispers will start… and not stop.

1 Like

If it’s not broken…why on every guild it lists as “active” are there no players from that guild online? If it says the guild has 600 “active” players I would expect to see at least 10-20 players online at any given time. However, every single guild it lists there are no more than 3 people online and most have 0. Something seems broken or I’m missing something.

3 Likes

Welcome to the end of the expansion. Try guild finder in 3-4 weeks.

4 Likes

Yeah I considered doing that and I might end up having to do that but I was sort of hoping I could research a few guilds and just contact someone in a guild that I already have an idea is compatible with what I’m looking for. I guess guilds no longer bother with guild websites/forums like we used to do. Maybe I’ll try searching for WoW Discord communities instead.

Discord is good or also just ask in trade. “120 BM Hunter LF Guild”

1 Like

Yeah, I sort of thought that could be related. On the other hand…I’m not looking for a raiding guild so I would think any casual type guilds might actually be active now…gearing up for Shadowlands release/pre-patch or returning and getting caught up like me but maybe not.

1 Like

I don’t disagree but many are just bored and done. They want prepatch and launch.

1 Like

I pug raids until someone invites me to a guild, and then find out that the guild is actually full of good players.

Does my Alliance faction have something to do with it? I haven’t played in a long time but I watch some WoW streams at times and have heard here and there that there was a faction change migration to Horde or something? It does seem like I see Horde everywhere and Alliance not so much. I really have no idea if that is true or recent or relevant…I’m completely out of the loop tbh.

yeah, but then you don’t get invited to raids anyways.

Couple things:

1. Those “adverts” are written and stay up for some time. You might be seeing something when I guild was active, but for whatever reason, now it’s not.

2. Doing a /who depends on the time of day. I’m in Eastern, but a bunch of my guild play in Pacific, so they get online several hours after I do. With the server merges that are happening, it is possible (as with my server) that two different time zone got merged together, and you’re just “out of phase” with the people you’re trying to contact.

3. It’s the end of the expansion. People are taking breaks. You might be seeing an advert for a guild that is going to gather new people for the next xpac, and they wrote that to see who applies.

4. They get to read your “application” before they just invite you. They might have a process, and you’re just not hearing back yet.

The guild finder works. I have a small guild of my own, I wrote an ad, and I got one person who applied. I denied them because I joined a larger guild with other characters and decided not to grow that small guild after all. For now that guild is just a bank guild.

2 Likes

Could be your realm? I’m in stormrage. You can come play with us. Were casual. We have raids. We have mythic plus runs. We have pvp. None of it is required.

If anything, go to a larger server I would say.

2 Likes

This. ^^^
If they invite anyone and everyone, the guild is just going to turn into a cesspool guild so unless you really stand out like writing interesting stuff in applicant notes, they may not approve you.

600 “active” players does not mean they have 600 individuals, because many people have some of their alts in the same guild.

It’s just how Blizzard words it.

And like Mehlisah mentioned, even if there were 10 people online, if none of them were high up in ranks they do not have the ability to “approve” you.

1 Like

I’m coming to the conclusion that this is my realm. I started sending tells to the single players I see on these guilds that say 600 “active” players and every one of them has said the guild is dead. Some say the realm is dead. These are the ones that actually have a single player…most of them have 0 players. I mean I know that 600 active doesn’t mean 600 players but it should mean more than 0 or 1 at any given time if it’s actually active. I guess I’m just stuck on a dead realm.

1 Like

I joined a pretty active guild today just by asking trade chat, “lf guild active for raiding”. and got an invite within a minute.

1 Like

Think about the type of guild you want go in trade chat and say every few minutes - “LF [Insert guild type here]”.

That’s how I found a PVE progression guild on a mostly RP server.

1 Like