How do I block a user on the forums now?

I suppose I should have been more clear in saying that I’m not against an ignore feature. I just can get by without it. In your above example, I would flag the posts as trolling or spam. But I can see your reason for wanting to de-clutter the thread.

Like I said earlier, the problem with Discourse is that’s a way to lock a thread too. Since while the system does have individual silences, any flagging gets counted towards the thread and enough of those can get that temp-locked.

1 Like

If a bunch of people report/flag a post one time, it’s doubtful that each person is going to be punished. It might not even be some big brigade, just perhaps 5-10 people disagree with a post and flag it. Basically people get punished for having the wrong opinion.

It doesn’t make much sense to say “mistakes/abuse can happen and you have to deal with them, oh well” as a statement to oppose a system where they could simply mute the other person. It doesn’t make sense to give power to people who troll as opposed to allowing them to block people. At worst, the person could “abuse” their blocking privileges and block everyone, and that affects literally no one else…

Considering that the current alternative is to ignore the post, that doesn’t exactly facilitate discourse. I’ll never understand this logic here or in politics. “You have to listen to me and my drivel or else you don’t support discourse/you’re promoting an echo chamber, etc…” It just comes off as a really bad Ben Shapiro “Debate me!” meme.

If I blocked someone, I’ve seen trollish behavior, and have made the decision not to engage with it.

I’m talking about the ability to block peoples’ posts, not the ability to delete them. If other people want to continue to converse with that person, more power to them. If I want to opt out, why is it suddenly a problem?

2 Likes

Hover over someones name and press Alt+F4

They also know they have to balance things to avoid scaring people off reporting things that they think are objectionable (and since there’s a whole rainbow of personal opinions on that…) so I wouldn’t worry if you have a reason to flag someone, it’s more when it’s obviously malicious.

Manners are not about “sugar coating” anything. It’s just treating others as you would like to be treated.

When you’re conversing with people in person, facial expressions, tone, and body language all convey your intent. People are far less likely to take offense in such circumstances.

But in situations like an online forum, we don’t have those other ways to show meaning. It’s very easy to come off as being rude when not meaning to. We should all strive harder to convey our intentions without coming off like ill-mannered jerks.

2 Likes

This is the first time Since WoD I’ve felt the need to block someone. So, I’ve gotten by without it plenty. I usually do without an issue. This is one of those few times where its becoming an issue.

I’m not sure I have much sympathy for you considering you seem to be the one heavily trolling that Vulpera thread by switching between alts to jump down people’s throats that have a different opinion.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. I think I would probably just take a self-imposed vacation from the forums if I had that issue, but I can see where that wouldn’t be a solution for everyone.

1 Like

Are you trolling? Legit question as I can almost never tell.

Care to elaborate?

2 Likes

Ah, you are! You got me. Good one.

You lost me.

1 Like

It would be kinda cool to have a mute feature, so that when some get carried away, you can mute those and read or stay with those you were talking with.

A mute/unmute feature would be useful.

1 Like

I read back through and it looks like I was confused by your response.
Sorry about that.