How difficult is tanking in TBC?

Name says it all. I am thinking of rolling a prot pally and tanking in TBC, but I have heard alot of people say that some pulls are pretty intense. I am admittedly a bit intimidated. Thoughts?

3 Likes

Don’t be intimidated,. some pulls are a bit intense without CC, but most is really straight forward.

Go slow until you learn the pulls and how different packs work. Go with a group that knows your learning or with your guild. And worst case if you decide you hate it you can go healer or dps without having to re roll a new character (save some of that gear as you go just in case!)

But it shouldn’t be bad at all.

I could do it.

Not well, not stylishly, but I could do it.

If I can, you can.

5 Likes

Mark targets for CC and keep Holy Shield handy on pull until you’re comfortable, CC less stuff as you learn.

I have a policy in my dungeon runs: If you yank it, you tank it.

I’m usually pretty easy going when it comes to mistakes or new people experiencing a dungeon for the first time. However,
reckless behavior isn’t appreciated.

Oh, and just pull and kill the damned pats. It makes running back after a wile that much easier.

2 Likes

It’s so easy that an idiot can do it. Source: I tanked everything except for Hyjal and Sunwell on my druid in TBC.

4 Likes

2 Likes

It wasn’t my pet, I swear.

2 Likes

Tanking some of the 5 mans as a warrior can be tiring.

Everything else isn’t so bad. If you’re getting pwned, consider using some CC.

2 Likes

I’m considering doing the same with a BE Paladin, so I can’t start that character yet. Would leveling either a Warrior or a Druid tank in Classic before BEs are released be useful practice?

I’d say yes, if you’re looking to practice tanking. There are skills that crossover between all three classes. If you can master being a good warrior or druid tank, you’ll likely be an even better pally tank.

My perspective as a former prot pally.
-Gearing up is alittle frustrating initially, You need rep from alot of sources quickly but theres a heap of gear available from normal dungeons in the 68-70 range.
-The actual tanking is quite easy aslong as your knowledge of the instances is upto scratch. KNowing which mobs do what is key to judging how to pull and what requires CC.
-The “rotation” is simple, HS up pre-pull, cons,Judge primary target rinse and repeat.
-You can Cleanse yourself and group mates. This is a huge advantage over other tanks and can affect group comp hugely.
-CC isn’t 100% required once you have a modicum of gear.

Tanking was always a blast on my warrior and paladin in the original TBC. Mostly, CC certainly makes some tricky pulls less demanding especially when there’s heavy cleaves in some of the max level dungeons.

Same rules apply, however. Figuring out the packs and how to pull them, all while being weary of patrols that will definitely sneak up on you a few times. You have a lot more tools at your disposal and I think it’s a nice spot between Classic and Wotlk (literally) where you can’t quite faceroll for a while, but your gear will allow it in time (exceptions exist).

Paladins will be a bit squishier at the beginning, but they are fantastic for faster runs once you’re somewhat geared since their AoE is fantastic on 3+ targets. Warriors will actually be much better at AoE tanking since Thunder Clap will now generate additional threat. Bears will also be similar equipped…

1 Like

I read that thunderclap now works in Defensive stance, meaning the threat is significantly buffed. There is a talent in Arms tree that increases damage by 100% and reduce rage cost.

Shattered Halls Heroic will be difficult for a warrior.

3 Likes

I recall warriors using it during TBC. However, I believe it’s still only hits 4 mobs.

I always preferred killing the pats. It might add a couple extra minutes to a run… if a wipe happens, I’ve had it take an hour to finally regroup because the pats will pick us off 1 by 1 while running back because “waiting at the entrance is boring.”

2 Likes

Pally is pretty easy going in dungeons as your aoe tanking is unbelievable compared to the other tanks but I haven’t done any raid tanking in tbc.

while protadins are great in dungeons they are not entirely ideal on raid bosses, but it can work just fine
you just need some macro shenanigans for bosses with fear mechanics

1 Like