How can we redeem/rebuild the Horde?

I don’t like even trying to use hypotheticals to make a point, but I wouldn’t put it past Sylvanas to take out another city the Alliance could use against her…

And, the Alliance were there to get Sylvanas, not capture Lordaeron. I guess they would have kept it, but idk how much effort they were wasting on that front beforehand.

Of course they would have kept it. The Alliance has wanted capital city back since Vanilla WCIII:TFT.

:pancakes:

7 Likes

I wouldn’t put it passed her either. But she’d be far more likely to have the diplomats (and anyone they talked to in the city) killed before nuking the city.

1 Like

The soft spoken boy king might not have let the Alliance keep it though.

Maybe. He is a bit of a pushover.

That he is, but you learn to deal with it… Was there implication about TB being in danger after Baine’s rescued?

The Siege of Lordaeron event opened with Anduin saying it was time to reclaim what rightfully belonged to the Alliance, so I doubt he would have handed it over.

5 Likes

Was that on Alliance side? I don’t think anything like that was mentioned on Horde side.

Yes I believe it’s when you’re in Stormwind, just about to set sail.

2 Likes

Thrall is looking at TB, saying TB will burn. Crossroads cinematic.

Can you present that? I don’t wanna take your word for it. Nvm, I found it. S’true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqhgAUMI19Y&ab_channel=Thorinkiller

Looks like Anduin says his bit as soon as the quest pops (first 30 seconds), then Shaw is the one who says something similar just as you set sail (about 3 min mark).

3 Likes

Out of character for Ol’Andy.

Let’s also keep in mind that his priorities—and subsequently, Alliance forces and resources—were spread out across the Arathi Highlands reclaiming yet another abandoned Alliance stronghold, which had literally gone uninhabited for decades, as well as on a series of islands inhabited by a shrinking empire which at the time was officially neutral.

So of course he had no time on his hands to help his actual allies reclaim an existing Alliance territory, hence him essentially telling Tyrande to go pound sand.

2 Likes

How will the Alliance be a conquering army if Andiun is leading it?

After the Horde nuked Teldrassil he just wanted to capture Sylvanas. From the beginning to the end of the expansion he viewed the Horde very positively and he wouldn’t have had conquered the city for the alliance any extended period.

We both know he would have returned it immediately after the hostilities ceased.

This guy freed and became friends with a person with multiple mass slaughters on his resume and recently he tried to murder one of Azeroth’s greatest heroes Malfurion.

I mean. If this guy can put all these aside and look at the bigger picture with zero prejudice I very much doubt he would ever do what you say he would.

As long as Andiun is there your fears fall apart I am afraid. But quite frankly the Alliance you describe sometimes sounds really really cool. I wish I could play that Alliance one day.

1 Like

It won’t be, but that’s more a result of his incompetence (see: Dazar’alor) than any real lack of effort.

Naivete can be just as dangerous as prejudice—look what happened to Jaina after she was finally pushed too far with Theramore.

We’ve already seen those seeds being planted with Anduin literally defending Turalyon’s and Alleria’s methods of torture in Shadows Rising.

You can, in Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, and in World of Warcraft-Classic. You can also read about it in Day of the Dragon, Of Blood and Honor, and Lord of the Clans.

Or I can save you the time:

The Alliance of old was not “really really cool.” It was a bureaucracy of political, power-hungry, warmongering, human-supremacist bigots. The notion of the modern Alliance even thinking about going back to those days (which would most likely come from Greymane or Turalyon, both of whom were there the first time around), is terrifying.

Though it would certainly make for a better story, and if it allows the Horde some measure of redemption, while also humbling the ego of the Alliance playerbase the way that the Horde’s has been, I say go for it.

14 Likes

This is why the theory that Anduin was supposed to be convinced by Genn/Turalyon/etc to attack Lordaeron first before Teldrassil makes so much sense.

This attitude after Teldrassil with a notable lack of Tyrande, and lack of mention of Teldrassil, makes no sense.

Novel closes with Sylvanas having killed multiple Alliance citizens, would’ve been taken as an act of war, etc.

But the story devs just couldn’t go through with giving Anduin a single sin (being spineless against his father’s friends).

12 Likes

It would’ve made the burning make more sense as a form of retaliation against the alliance for them attempting to retake to Lordaeron. Take a little wind out of the alliances sails and make them think if this is really a war they want to continue. Or maybe I’m just reading too much into it

3 Likes

It really adds weight to the theory that the story of BfA was rewritten after some of the voice lines were recorded.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/speculation-battle-for-azeroth-the-pre-rewritten-story/543911

7 Likes

If BFA it was Alliance capturing Lordaeron first (yes no sylvanas green nuke)
And Teldrassil was a retaliation it would have certainly made the story more bearable.

But I have to say the burning should not have happened with the citizens still inside.
Just have Jaina show up and mass teleport everyone out on her fleet of floating boats.

Then Sylvanas burns the place down in her rage.
And Alliance fractures and reverts to pre-high king era.

1 Like