How can we redeem/rebuild the Horde?

I guess those are the timelines when Thrall actually did something right…

4 Likes

They called it a Miscommunication I believe. Take that as you will.

That would be kind of hard to fit in what I’ve seen happen to him.

KEK.

I’ll choose to take that with the same level of believability as, “Sylvanas met the Jailer in Edge of Night,” even though it’s never stated anywhere in the story, which you can easily find right here on-site :rofl:

1 Like

At the start there where interviews stating they had plans to have him grow in cata hence the stonetalon quest, it was to show that garrosh wasn’t all bad and that he took certain lessons to heart but now it’s called a miscommunication and Affrasiabi I believe said that was what it was supposed to be was him growing but who knows.

They chose the weaker of two stories.

Alex Afrasiabi also said at Blizzcon prior to Battle for Azeroth, re: the Burning of Teldrassil and the Siege of Lordaeron:

“Why would the Horde attack Teldrassil…Why would the Alliance attack Lordaeron…it doesn’t matter who fired the first shot.”

I prefer to take anything he says with a jar of salt at this point.

2 Likes

Yah, it’s best to take things from speakers for blizz with a can of salt.

2 Likes

See … here’s the weird thing. Despite being a retcon, considering what Sylvanas’ mental state was during WotLK/EoN AND what Blight was designed to do … I can see her being behind the Wrathgate. And when it didn’t work, Verimathras and Putress knew that they would be the fall guys and betrayed attempted to take over and bulwark UC. The Blight was designed explicitly to kill someone like Arthas. Sylvanas was going to kill herself after his death, “the relase herself from her torment”. She was VERY clear about what the Horde and Alliance were supposed to be; bodies, meant to weaken the Scourge enough to give her a shot at her target. And the Forsaken were the arrows for that shot. Ones that she would have willingly abandoned if they fulfilled their purpose; until she went to Hell.

If the Wrathgate had worked. Sylvanas would have killed Arthas and subsequently killed herself. Avoiding the consequences of that event, and thrusting them on the Forsaken. She didn’t care what happened to them in that situation AND had two suss as hell guys to pin the blame on if things didn’t go her way.

6 Likes

It’s weird how the Wrathgate almost got Arthas but then you have it stated by Uther that he can’t be killed unless he’s at the frozen throne.

1 Like

I would guess because of whatever the Blight is. That stuff used to be far more nasty. A hyper distilled version of a rare strain of the Plague of Undeath that just rips the Living and the Undead to pieces. It seems to outright attack the souls of the targets, as simple animated corpses can operate in it just fine.

So, yeah, I could see it nearly getting Arthas. He still is in a meatsuit. I would say the only thing that saved him is the Helm’s grip on his soul was tighter than the Blights attempt to dissolve it.

1 Like

Yeah but it seemed more like it was an inconvenience for him then an outright perfect chance to kill him, I mean it clearly has a negative effect but he got back up and walked away unlike any undead or living person at the gate.

1 Like

Best guess is that the Blight was originally created using Fel magic; like maybe it’s a chemical offshoot of a sort?

1 Like

I can see that to a degree, but it doesn’t change the fact that Varimathras was still planning on using the Blight to do -something- to further his/the Legion’s agenda, and he was already planning on overthrowing Sylvanas at some point for daring to put herself above him. It’s a detail in the Ashbringer comic that as far as I know has not been retconned. Varimathras had a Forsaken spy loyal to him obtain the sample of Scourge Plague used as the basis for the Forsaken Blight, and he bragged to Balnazzar about how he was going to make Sylvanas regret underestimating him. The main question about the Wrathgate is about who’s idea it was originally, because it also would have been in Varimathras’ interests to take out Arthas at that point, and let’s face it, Varimathras likes to be dramatic. Sylvanas still wouldn’t be innocent, because even if the Wrathgate wasn’t her idea she still supported the development of the Blight and planned on using it eventually, but it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility that she didn’t order the Wrathgate.

Afrassiabi on the Wrathgate

I’VE HEARD THESE DISCUSSIONS ON THE INTERNET ABOUT ‘SHE’S GOING OFF THE RAILS’, BUT IS SHE? I’VE BEEN WRITING SYLVANAS PERSONALLY SINCE 2006, AND THIS IS PRETTY MUCH – THE WRATHGATE AND THE BLIGHT AND THE FORSAKEN – IN CHARACTER. THOSE WERE ALL UNDER SYLVANAS’ ORDERS. WHAT WE’RE SEEING NOW IS AN ESCALATION OF THE PLANS SYLVANAS HAS, CLEARLY, AND WE’RE IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT.

1 Like

Not even close to “almost” It rocked him and he wasn’t going to stick around for it but ultimately Arthas WAS killed on the Frozen Throne.

In blizzard lawyer talk, or double speak as it’s know that translates to

We have no idea we’re doing with her, now we’re on a runaway train hanging on by our pants, and now we have to go back and retcon her entire lore to justify the stupidity of BfA because we clearly didn’t think this through

2 Likes

Afrasiabi’s also the one who wrote Stonetalon Garrosh, and seemingly he no longer works for Blizzard.

Pinning the Wrathgate entirely on Sylvanas and her alone ignores the existence and involvement of the Nathrezim, who were running their own agenda, and who had plenty of motivation to act at the Wrathgate. Even if it was Sylvanas’ idea and on her orders, Putress and Varimathras still had their own agenda that they were working to advance, and they still tried to take over Undercity.

1 Like

I’m just relaxing what was stated in an interview, nothing more nothing less.

Also if it rocked him in certain he wouldn’t have been able to kill an entire raid in one shot.

The other thing is that his chosen Champions that he had designated to kill and raise as his 5th Generation Death Knights weren’t there. He left to continue his Xanadu Gambit of getting them to the Frozen Throne.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to come off as aggressive.

I understand that Afrasiabi gave that interview, but as it stands he no longer works for Blizzard, and moreover, Sylvanas has never taken sole credit for the Wrathgate in-game or in other media as far as I know. Unlike some other events, Blizzard is not obligated to stick with that interpretation, and frankly I hope they don’t, because I find it much more interesting to leave open the question of who originally came up with the idea for the Wrathgate. That can be left open even if Sylvanas claims responsibility for giving the order, since it could still have been Varimathras’ or Putress’ idea originally, with her giving approval.

2 Likes