How can we redeem/rebuild the Horde?

yeaaaaaah, the specc of balance, but elune is the goddes of balance, on azeroth she ´s associated with the moon, but that doesn´t mean, that it is like that everywhere.

Your statement does not follow logically from your premises. Blizzard also spends considerable time on portraying raid bosses. Does that mean they aren’t portraying them as wrong and/or bad? The investment of time does not invalidate anything that most everyone has said, specifically, that in the narrative Blizzard has written, the Horde is perpetually shown as being “more wrong” than the Alliance and any actions the Alliance takes are “justified” and/or “right.”

You keep trying to draw a distinction here but you refuse to acknowledge you’re conflating in-game with out of game. A faction only behaves as they are written and portrayed.

For you to accept the Horde, you will only accept them proving they have changed. This means, you require a narrative that involves the Horde serving the needs of the Alliance. The issue is compounded by your refusal to accept any sort of blemish or tarnish on the bastion of everything “good/right/morally superior” that is the Alliance. That means whenever there is any sort of disagreement, the Horde will be “worse” and for you to accept the idea that the Horde is trying to be better, the faction has to repeat the cycle of serving the needs of the Alliance.

It’s a perpetuating cycle and quite frankly disgusting. It’s not quite as bad as internment camps, but the mindset is the same.

I have no idea what game you are playing, but the last decade of WoW lore says otherwise.

7 Likes

…kind of contradicting yourself here.

Elune is a moon goddess, first and foremost. “Moon” does not necessarily = “Balance.”

1 Like

There’s a twitter user who talked about it recently but their name contains a Bad Word lmao so I’m linking my own retweet

https://twitter.com/MozarabMohan/status/1353488430987161600

• Blood Elf inns have Hookahs strews across the floor
  • Blood Elf spires and dome styles resemble West Asian, South Asian, and North African minarets and mosques
  • Art Nouveau was actually created being derived from Ottoman style architecture and art (the creators of the style all stated this so anyone arguing otherwise doesn’t know art history)
  • Illidan had a “den of mortal delights” filled with blood elf women; ie a harem
  • “SELAM’ashalanore”, Selam is a regional variation of Salam
  • Blood elf boats look like baghlah

God you’re delusional.

The entire point of the moon in almost every mythology is that the moon is internally balanced whereas the sun is internally imbalanced but that the moon is balanced with the sun

He just insists there doesn’t need to be a solar deity developed in WoW that would validate tauren and give depth to trolls and belves

Reiterating my earlier points:

8 Likes

“In contrast, the high elf Milan spoke during the Second War not of the belief in the creator “God”, but of an entire pantheon called “the gods”. He mentions believing in these gods, praying to the gods, and receiving help from them. He speaks of his allies praying to the gods, and the gods answering their prayers”

You wanted a few other information, here, you get some. from an high elf.

goddes of balance, thats was her first description in The Warcraft Encyclopedia

You are twisting the words here, I said: It does not need Elune 2.0, I said nothing against a solar deity, but what you wanted to make it was litteraly an Elune 2.0

And yet here I am presenting multiple arguments, directions, and narrative directions with actual deities from various cultures to use and you are still insisting it isn’t enough because Muh Balance Perfect Goddess.

4 Likes

So based on this, would it be a somewhat accurate comparison to link Blood Elves with, say, Turks ala the Ottoman Empire? Considering you did point out that

and

I’m just trying to get an image in my mind of what “Blood Elven culture” looks like in RL.

Yup. Like most of the Horde, the Blood Elves are a “Phantasm”/Representation of Western Orientalist interpretation of ME/NA and Muslims and lightly South Asia, superimposed upon the themes of Diurnal Golden Forest Elves (Mirkwood/Thranduil, Seelie Elves, Light Elves from Germanic Myth) but with the personalities of Warhammer “Dark Elves”.

2 Likes

If you really want a history/literary nerdgasm, you could push it even further with Arthas the Death Knight leading an undead army against Quel’thalas.

Why?

Because which infamous Eastern European bloodthirsty warlord actually warred against the Turks?

Prince Vladislaus III Tepes, more commonly known in popular culture as the vampire DRACULA.

7 Likes

yup, and then curiously Blizzard made the Undead Blood Elves into vampires :stuck_out_tongue: truly its all just a coincidence

6 Likes

As a elder family member used to tell me Very few things in life are a coincidence :gift_heart:

3 Likes

Hmm, so Arthas is an inverse of King Arthur with the “magical sword dooming his kingdom instead of saving it,” he’s a reference to Dracula with leading undead against Turkish Elves…

Blizzard Executive 1: “How many other literary references can we stuff into the Lich King, people?” :smiley:

Blizzard Executive 2: “Oh, I know! We can give him giant, floating eyeballs and make Icecrown Citadel look like Barad-dur! Oh, and give him Sauron armor!”

Blizzard Executive 1: Jimmy, you’re a genius! You’ll be made board member by the time Wrath goes live!

And the rest is history.

2 Likes

because…you insist again an Elune 2.0 move, here a few highlights:

thats cry out loud "Elune 2.0

show me the difference towards elune here, pls?

here its start to get interesting.

why the orcs too??? They have their ancestor and shamans o.0?

he would have create muuru to do so, otherwise, its still a being of light who cleans the corruption out of the b11.

yeah, make him litteraly god, fine, i guess…

again, why orcs? i don´t get it.

why not, again, toward Rezhan.

To be precise, he wanted to free his country from Ottoman rule, when, they have strongly twisted the whole. I think rather they have oriented themselves here to Warhammer, therefore their story inspired, to Warhammer and Dath Vader.

I mean, the reversal is appropriate, considering he’s also based off of King Arthur finding a magical sword to determine the fate of his kingdom.

Except that where Excalibur saved Camelot, Frostmourne doomed Lordaeron.

1 Like

Yup. Arthas is King Arthur (Chosen Prince with Sword) - Dracula (Conquered the Turkish Metaphor) - Witch King of Angmar (Lich King, Witch King, the Helmet, the Undead) - Christian Apocalypse (Four Horsemen)

So you don’t want to validate Tauren mythologies

It’s not my fault the Blood Elf priests in Legion were called Sun Priests and that they worship a Sunwell, it’s what we got

In most mythologies solar deities are tied to brutal acts of violence at times. e.g. Artemis’s arrows would grant a swift, peaceful death, but Apollo’s arrows would grant a brutal agonizing slow death.

Yes. In this scenario all Naaru were created by Anshe, because he’d be the Solar-“Smith” of the First Ones.

I “reduced” Obatala for An’she in the sense that An’she could just be the “Smith” behind the foundational four elements. He shaped the Elements into Matter.

To give a tie-in; the Orcish bloodlust, as well as their evolution from Ogres, could be given an explanation.

Same as how the Tear of Elune restored Xe’ra, the Prime Naaru, An’she could be behind Orcish bloodlust as a double-edged blessing.

4 Likes

Frostmourne is not only reminiscent of Excalibur, it is more reminiscent of Hrunting, Gram, and Excalibur in a colorful fantasy rich mix.

Definitely a lot of the early Warcraft material—at least where humanity, so Stormwind and Lordaeron, are concerned—does seem directly based on Anglo-European folklore and Arthurian legend.

Even Medivh and Llane’s relationship as seen in The Last Guardian can be traced back to Merlin and Arthur, with Lothar being the Lancelot figure.

1 Like

You complain that the Tauren myth has been undermined, but you would also totally undermine the night elf myth with everything you just describe here, so you accuse me of being selfish here, but you are the same?

That they are sun priests, I have no problems, (Whereby mage priest from WC3 still sounded better), however the thing with the wells, the visions, it now really does not need, just then, if there should be differences also in communication, because that is exactly Elune’s approach to communicate with the night elves (Whereby she can not do that everywhere, on other worlds it must work differently, perhaps with artifacts).

That’s still not a reason in my eyes, I mean it would be again an “equalization” of orcs, trolls and tauren. Better leave the orcs out of this, there are also warlike tauren for example, bloodthirsty. Trolls I can see with Zandalar, Tauren anyway, but Orcs would be again the old story which was also a small problem in Vanilla.

Hrmm, well, Light is not a power of the First ones though, they are above those high powers. But fine, i guess.

If Elune is a First one, then okay, give him this position, but it would be reallyy sealfish to take things away from elune to give it other beings, you know, only because you demmand it.

so say never again your not selfish.

It is rather Indo-European mythology. Anglo-European folklore is only a small part of it. for example the arthus saga is litteraly beowulf 2.0, with different names.

Correction, there are only two Horde-Main Lore Content Creators: Pyromancer and Accolon, who only this development cycle landed one (1) Roux interview each.

Versus the dozen Alliance-Main Lore Content Creators, some of which regularly land Danuser/Ion interviews.

An’she being responsible for elements undermines Night Elves? Are you kidding me?

Are you really mad about the Sunwell now lmao

Having a common power empowering them doesn’t equalize them because the empowerment and involvement is different for each lmao

HOW IS AN’SHE BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR ELEMENTS TAKING AWAY FROM NIGHT ELVES LMAO YALL AREN’T EVEN SHAMAN

5 Likes

From the Indo-European myth, however, many - very many aspects - of modern fantasy litterature and interpretation are inspired.

The Witcher series is completely set in it, Dragon Age has adopted many aspects of it, Elders Scrolls and Warhammer Fantasy has many influences from it. Lord of the Rings has even been built around it so naturally that it could be considered a natural extension.

It is not at all about the elements just with this statement.

What does it take away from the night elves? Why from the night elves, I said from Elune.

Elune is the last remaining myth we have left, all others have been destroyed, all others have been destroyed, Old gods, Titans, the afterworld of the dead, the Nether, all destroyed, all revealed.

Elune would thus be robbed of its uniqueness, in general, just with the EXISTENCE you are building here, do you understand now?

A myth, created over 20 years of RL time (that’s a damn long time even for a game) where even today it is still speculated and talked about, is thus damaged, just so you can live your “we horde may also have our ubergod” fantasy.

That’s my problem with it. The myth of Elune would be damaged with this, and it’s not about the night elves, it’s about the character Elune herself, the big secret around this character.

The mysteries also give depth to a world, it hurts when everything is revealed. So yes, I defend the mystery Elune, just as I find it stupid that we now run around in the sls and thus the whole beautiful mystery around it was destroyed. I said it before: every belief was destroyed with it, the hard fact of the afterlife finally destroyed so much that it made the myth about the afterlife BORING, it’s just disappointing.