How Can We Redeem/Rebuild The Horde (Actual Horde Edition)

Tbh the bit with Genn at The Gathering was one of the few things I like in BtS. It’s easy to spot someone who either doesn’t play and/or read Forsaken quests because most of the undead you interact with are actually quite banal. Which I like, as a clawed night cannibal who’s just a boring stable hand is delightful to me.

So getting a spot where a character who’s only ever seen the Forsaken on the battlefield recognizing their humanity was nice, I thought. Maybe it’s an abrupt turn, I can’t really say I didn’t play Cata through WoD so Genn still feels like a newish character to me, but I wasn’t mad about that.

His blood rage was kinda exhausting tbh. Yeah he got wronged, but it was a war, and one the Forsaken got strong armed into by Garrosh. Who appeared to intend to abandon the Forsaken to the Alliance if ish goes belly up.

I think it got retconned Slyvanas secretly wanted Gilneas. Because at this point I’m pretty sure they’re going to say she deliberately got stuck by Frostmourne next. But in the context of the quest your Orc allies are failures and drunk, and the humans very loudly announce their intentions to pave the roads of Lordaeron with your bones. Suffice to say it’s not the time to be nice about this war business.

3 Likes

IMO while yes it was interesting to see that development, it functionally neutered the Worgen as a whole and stripped the Alliance of intra-faction conflict/nuance because of the “I Hate The Forsaken” angle.

Plus, given that I imagine some significant amount of Worgen died in Teldrassil, and they lost their second home that adopted them ten years ago, and his wife almost died, he probably hates the Forsaken again.

I think thus:

• Genn should go back to hating the Forsaken, but in a less “rabid dog” way
  • Tess should accept the Worgen curse but believe there can be unity between the Forsaken and Humans (some of that “Angry Father vs Chill Daughter” trope)
4 Likes

Anduin already does that though. Not quite a father and child relationship. But a boy and his dog are definitely up there.

2 Likes

Okay, i actually went through a few hundred responses and had to stop because things had devolved into nonsense tripe about power levels and racism- and ironically enough, almost nothing about how to make the Horde better from a moral standpoint and most of it about how the Alliance needs to be dragged into the mud so everyone sucks

Was a conclusion ever reached about this:

Last thread got booed because it more to do with nelves than the horde itself and thats fair- so CAN the Horde be redeemed without getting the Alliance involved?

And since im here

Legit question here- you obviously dont care about any evil actions commited by your faction/race because its war and that stuff “just happens”

So why do you care if your race/faction gets villian batted if it doesnt matter what they do?

1 Like

Because our side is always the one that gets stuck with villan bat. It’s tiring honestly. Somewhere along the line, the current dev team forgot that the horde was supposed to be the good guys in a world that wanted them dead.

11 Likes

And thats all well and good, but if your reaction to all the stuff that was done to Genn (regardless if he deserved it or no, thats a different conversation) is “yeah its war lmao get over it” i ask, again, shouldnt you be cheering at the villian bat?

Because if one does not care about an action, what does it matter if it happens?

2 Likes

Nah, because, for me, that’s not what I signed up for. I’m not going to speak for anyone else though. Genns son dying for example, was tragic, I don’t care what side your on.

11 Likes

Needs to be both/and

• Horde needs internal character development for itself
  • Some (1 or 2 really) Alliance leaders need to be the token war hawks against the Horde for UNQUESTIONABLY bad reasons
  • Bilateral performative reparations
9 Likes

The Forsaken don’t really do anything wrong from their end. You never Blight Gilneas. You fight with mostly conventional weapons. They raise people but that’s sort of the undead’s shtick, and the Worgen turn humans too. Sort of par for the course in a Halloween War.

The Worgen also fight incredibly ruthlessly. And it’ll never not be both sad and funny to me some of the Worgen’s coolest moments can only be seen in a Horde playthrough.

Personally I thought the execution of that scene was so wonky that it came off as borderline comedic. I really don’t think the Cata intro zones hold up well, at all. Drag on forever and they had just not gotten in game cutscenes working well yet.

And whoever came up with the Gilneas finale should be punched in the stomach. I thought it had bugged out. You have to wait for a zeppelin to slowly come into range in real time. I’ve never seen such fragrant contempt for the concept of pacing.

2 Likes

First of all, all the worgen were evacuated, didn’t they? The only death was that drinking tea in a burning house.

Dunno you tell me

It had not taken more than an hour or two to send all the Gilneans to Stormwind, but Mia loved the people of Darnassus and would stay until the last possible moment.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/story/short-story/elegy, page 4.

Well thats a lie if i ever heard one. There was a worgen quest where you spy on the disscussion on use of the blight, and it gets used later

Yeah, they raise people who are not willing- which is evil.

Worgen started turning willingly precisely because they didnt want to become undead

Because they’re defending their home from a foe that attacked them for no reason. A foe that was:

a)driving them to the sea
b)killing indiscriminately, with no distinction between combatants and civilians
c)those that were spared got to work as slaves in mines
d)unwilling resurrecting them into undeath

So what i gather is that you want to do evil things with your race/faction, you just want it to be on your terms and dont want the story to call you out for it

Any ideas for that? what do you mean by bilateral

2 Likes

Oh yeah they act nastier on the Worgen end of things. Just as the Worgen are nastier on the Forsaken side of things. Not sure why you’d expect otherwise.

But in the Forsaken storyline, yeah raising people’s about the worst thing. I uh, don’t really think that’s too bad. Most undead seem fine with it, those who aren’t can leave or go back into the grave - and it’s not like they had do not resuscitate tattoos. Anyone consent to being born?

Don’t think you can call it murder if you resurrect the guy.

1 Like

I recently replayed the goblin intro zone, and I loved it. Haven’t played the worgen zone since it was new, though.

The Goblin one is better. Because you’re running people over with cars and get to fight robo sharks. Gilneas is mostly people standing in the rain. The werewolf apocalypse bit at the start is neat, but it runs out of steam shortly thereafter. I was also bummed you just leave Gilneas. Like on the Forsaken end you see the aftermath of all these Worgen guerilla attacks. And I’d assumed you’d do those on the Worgen side. But nah after the Orcs and Nelves have a punch up you leave.

They both really overstay their welcomes though, and the Goblin starter has the most bizarre ending. Where Thrall appoints Gallywix to lead when I’m still not sure why he wasn’t beaten to death on the beach immediately for enslaving everyone.

Nah I just want them to use spooky weapons. The Maldraxxi aren’t framed as evil despite using plague and necromancy. So, not sure why the Forsaken get a bad rap for doing the same thing to stop a genocidal human invasion.

The Knights of the Ebon Blade were raising people left and right in Legion - and as we see from their short story Nazgrim, Whitemane and Trollbane are all fine with it and even have little office humor in jokes now.

Only reason the Forsaken get a bad rap is because they used those tactics against the Alliance. Who sure as hell deserved it more than the Silver Hand did, but nobody’s REEing about Morgraine and Bolvar being heroes now.

24 Likes

Please don’t give them any ideas.

“Oh yeah, Sylvanas was evil even as a living, mortal ranger-general! Forget all that stuff about how she suffered at Arthas’ hands and fought for/loved her people! Nah, she was so devious and conniving that she had this all planned out years in advance! She’s, like, Dar’Khan Drathir on steroids!”

:roll_eyes:

If I’m being truly honest, it is stuff like this—see: the Great Edge of Night Lie—that makes me seriously considering quitting retail for Classic, or even just unsubscribing altogether.

The “story” has literally become that moronically-focused on making everything the Horde does be “evil,” to the point where they will pull BS out of a hat to make it “fit.”

I can’t even say whether I’d still be playing Shadowlands if Kael’thas didn’t have a (thankfully/refreshingly-intriguing story) in it, especially considering the announcement of Classic Burning Crusade.

16 Likes

I would say the Goblin starter experience doesn’t really start to drag until the second island.

I remember reading somewhere that the original idea was for the PC to become the Goblin leader. I suppose Gallywix becoming the leader was added in a hurry after they decided not to go that route. I can’t really imagine how a PC leader would have worked, so maybe it was just as well. It would have been like the Legion order halls, only weirder.

I’m never going back lol. Having to save up for a mount by getting a job in Azeroth was cute when I was 14. But as an adult I do not see the appeal of a third job I have to pay for.

Got up to 50. Finally got my mount. And then the game was ruined by just thinking about how the hell I was going to afford an epic mount.

And man I get enough stress over car payments IRL. No thank you.