How Can We Redeem/Rebuild The Horde (Actual Horde Edition)

I completely agree.
Thats how I viewed them before.

All wow races are a mixture of many, many historical influences and RL. They are parodies and stereotypes up to their eyeballs and thats all they are.
Thats why I don’t like this little exercise of this race is that minority and that race is that other minority or majority or what have you and then we start making parallels and gasp in shock

1 Like

You mean the whole “she’s just trying to defend her people” thing? I don’t assume they were sincere about that.

I’m of the thought that between the Warbringers videos and the months leading up to BfAs launch, there was a massive rewrite of the story. It’s the only way to make sense of the jumbled mess of the pre patch and events during the actual expansion.

Like burning Teldrassil only makes sense if the alliance had struck at Lordaeron first, thus proving Sylvanas right when she told Saurfang that the alliance couldn’t be trusted to keep their end of the bargain.

2 Likes

? No “Banker Merchant Goblin” is one of the oldest antisemitic tropes in the West, literally since the Middle Ages lol

Especially the relation between “Blood Libel” and redcap goblins

Yes but

Nah it’s not “Jersey” alone; it’s an accent that developed among the lower classes in the New York Metropolitan Area™, and became “the accent” for Booklyn Jews (original center of NYC Jewish community) and Italian-Americans/Irish-Americans in the region, and later other ethnicities as immigration continued.

• Goblins in some VA say “oyyyy” when annoyed, a gesture to “oy vey”
  • “GTL” quote from Goblins is a Jersey Shore reference
  • Female Goblins sound like The Nanny. “MISTA SHEFFIEEEEEEEELD” became “MISTA GALLYWIIIIIIX”
  • etc.

It’s shared root. Same way Orcs are Mongolian, Turkic, Hungarian, but also some sprinkled in Japanese (Blademasters).

Or Night Elves are Japanese, Hellenic, Neopagan New Agers, Korean, etc.

Goblins are 20th NYC Lower Classes/Subaltern Ethnic Groups + US Stereotypes Among The World

Doubt.

This is an all-important to make when you consider the following:

• Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos: 2002
  • Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne: 2003
  • World of Warcraft: 2004 -2006

Now mind you, these are the final release dates, not development dates. Which means that the original Warcraft III games would have finished development only a few years after 9/11—their stories had already been written and fleshed out by that point.

Contrast that with the launch of WoW, the development of which was almost certainly taking place in the RL shadow of that attack, and I think you’ll find Baal’s point is :100: spot-on.

1 Like

Why? What did they ever say AFTER the start of BfA to suggest that they still were pushing the idea that she was justified or that Horde players should feel proud and empowered?

Also:

You mean the WoT? Pre-patch scenarios are USUALLY removed once an expac launches. There’s nothing mysterious about it.

While that’s true, I also don’t think any pre-patch scenario prior to Battle for Azeroth was ever so controversial.

I’m aware. But the Goblins are more of a parody of Americans. Honestly they’re less a parody these days and more just, a fairly accurate portrayal.

A few years ago if there was a quest where a bunch of Goblins died because Galkywix tied public utilities to a for profit energy company I would’ve said that was a bit on the nose. But today - well.

8 Likes

Agreed, but I don’t think they would have changed their usual pattern on that account. In fact, they might have seen it as a reason to get it out of the game as fast as possible, so it didn’t continue to drive division.

Yeah exactly.

Like the fact Goblins, on a foundational level, are based on an antisemitic caricature that is around 600+ years old is not as big a problem because:

1. It is not the only root for Goblins.
  2. Some other “good” stereotypes are invoked
  3. In theory, allegedly, I am told the Horde will eventually, one day, in the near future have “heroic stories” that will show the Goblins as Firmly Good and Correct.
1 Like

Look, just because the goblins had a giant mining operation set up where the planet’s blood was spilling all over the place and Gallywix literally brags about not giving a %#^& because he has a giant WMD robot whose lasers are made out of the planet’s blood—

Oh. Right.

Well, at least Alliance players got to trash his totally-unsubtle Mar-A-Lago-esque golf course and resort.

1 Like

Excited for Gallywix to release his new cryptocurrency GobCoin.

9 Likes

I’m frankly surprised they didn’t have him actually build a giant, golden border wall between Ashenvale and the Barrens.

And then send the bill for it to Tyrande and Malfurion.

That might have been a bit too obvious and offensive in the wake of Teldrassil, though.

I thought the Mechagon intro with Gazlowe was solid. It didn’t really shake up their presentation. But Gazlowe seems legitimately sad at the loss of men under his command and actually bargains with worker unions instead of, well enslaving them.

7 Likes

Pay out insurance to their families. Full price, no haggling.

Yeah, Gazlowe could be considered representative of the (actually) “ethical business owner.”

I just want a questline where Boss Mida goes on a date with Gazlowe and this scene happens:

https://youtu.be/DloguDxSTws?t=47

1 Like

Thalyssramar is still a better couple, imo. :kissing_heart:

Why yes, I did just coin the next big couple name.

I regret nothing.

1 Like

It’s so frustrating how fun and uplifting Horde questing and stories could be if Blizzard put a modicum of effort for positive development into any race that isn’t Human.

• Nanny, Italian Mobster Movies, and Anime Mech references for Gazlowe/Boss Mida
  • Troll reunification, implementing modern efforts of PanAfricanism and Indigenous Unity into the Troll story, leaning a bit into the “Wakanda” motif
  • Blood Elves restoring and rebuilding the Ghostlands (if the Plaguelands got green so should they)
  • etc.
11 Likes

Elven poetry reading. :heart:

snaps fingers

3 Likes

Regarding games in general sure. But wow has the depth of a rain puddle, both in terms of story and characters. The writers have been winging it since the games inception, using characters and plot points from warcraft to drive the expansions. And when they run out of that they make up new stuff. They aren’t interested in telling a thought provoking story, so trying to overanalyze it like you do is an exercise in futility. Any deeper meaning you might find is completely coincidental, and all you may find is the developer’s own possible biases.