How can the Helm of Dom be an anchor point for Azeroth

It was created in the Shadowlands and the quest specifically says we need an item from Azeroth to anchor a portal to Azeroth.

Is this just yet more poor storytelling from Blizzard or has something been said to suggest this makes any sense?

How pathetic is blizzard at storytelling that the best writing they have done in years is the amphitheater play in the opening nightfae covenant questline.

1 Like

I would guess that since the helm has resided in Azeroth and has been worn by two of Azeroth races that it became an anchor point. Or Bolvar tied it to Azeroth during the ritual to enter the hole in the sky prior to our arrival.

Idk though

1 Like

I could see your first point. With all the turmoil etc that happened, happening on azeroth.

your second point though makes it more of a problem.

We used it as a shadowlands anchor point to enter the shadowlands in the first place. Now we’re doing the opposite.

1 Like

Yeah I was just throwing out possibilities lol, in all honesty though? Idk

1 Like

The Helm was used to control the Scourge, who are still on Azeroth. It was also broken here and has done everything here. There’s no other planet it would be tied to so it essentially is an Azeroth item now.

The Helm itself is a link between the Shadowlands and the living world, giving the user super death powers. So if one side of the tether goes to the Maw/Shadowlands then the other side we can assume goes to wherever it was before.

4 Likes

It’s poor story telling. The Helm:

• was made in the Shadowlands
  • first bound to an Orc
  • then thrown onto Azeroth in ice from the Twisting Nether
  • then put on by a Human
  • then put on by another Human

“From Azeroth” is a stretch.

5 Likes

The Blueprints came from the Shadowlands(stolen from the Runecarver) not the Vessels created by the Blueprints!

The Dreadlords used the Blueprints to make the Vessels of Domination though exactly where they forged it is unknown. For all we know they forged it within the Frozen Throne before Kil’jaeden shoved Ner’zhul into it.

The Helm could have a tether to the Frozen Throne in that case.

1 Like

I think the helm is sufficiently significant to Azeroth’s history to count. That helm and the power it represents are a catalyst that shaped much of the planet’s last two decades. If what is important to rituals is symbols, then the helm is probably as powerful a symbol of Azerothian relics as you can get.

Except we know it was the Runecarver who created both. Zooval even tells the Runecarver that Frostmourne was his Finest Creation, a Mourne Blade as he called it.

One might keep in mind that if one examines it in-game, technically only part of the helm is with us in Oribos. The helm wasn’t completely robbed of all magical power by its breaking, so the other fragments may well still be back in Icecrown tethering the portion in Oribos back to the world that contains them. Namely Azeroth.

So in a way the Helm’s magic may be located in Azeroth and the Shadowlands simultaneously, allowing it to serve as a spell focus for portals connecting both.

1 Like

He calls it his finest Mourneblade which means you are correct about the Runecarver making it which leads one to ask: Where did the Runecarver make it? Who and more importantly what is the Runecarver and why did he orchestrate the Scourge?

1 Like

The blade and helm were probably meant for the Primus, so he could exert control over the other Houses, should a civil war break out, or it’s leaders assassinated.

As for who the Runecarver is? I don’t know, we haven’t gotten many hints in game yet, except that the guy is really good at crafting soul stealing weapons and being held against his will by Zovaal

It would be ridiculously funny if the Runecarver turned out to be a Mo’arg forgemaster in the Legion only to be captured and thrown(by the Jailer’s Dreadlords who immediately saw how useful the guy was while working with him on the Mourneblade) into the Maw after or(considering the Runes are only found in the Maw according to Devos) before Uther’s death giving Zovaal the idea to subvert the Helm of Domination and create a similar Mourneblade for Anduin!

1 Like

Yeah but if you watch the cinematic both the blade and the helm are spectral designs that the jailer flips through as he talks about them, “Your finest mourneblabe and a crown, fit for the king of the damned.” So I attribute it more as they’re the Runecarver greatest brainchildren.

1 Like

Question is though, when does the Jailer find out? Is AFTER Arthas has the blade, or was is eons ago, when the runecarver thought it up? It’s framed as if the blade and crown were already crafted and it somehow slipped past the Jailers notice.

It’s way before Arthas gets it, to quote “But I still require more from you.” And then you watch the jailer ripping the designs from the runecarver mind.

I’ll have to go back and rewatch it than. But my question is, if the blades weren’t meant to find their way to azeroth. Who was the runecarver planning on making those two items for, it wasn’t the Jailer, as the two clearly don’t like each other?

There’s no telling, to be honest if they’re in the back of his mind they could’ve been his greatest but most dangerous creations hence why he never forged them. He probably intended them to never see the light off day.

Well, if you notice in the cinematic, the Jailer says I require more, something the First Ones sought to hide, before ripping the plans of Frostmourne and Helm of Domination from the Runecarvers mind

Shrugs in certain that secret is Azeroth since he intended those two things to find their way to our planet apparently, but idk the story is still too vague at this point in terms of motivations.

1 Like