How big is world of warcraft in miles?

If we assume a human male in 6 foot tall in game. That will give us a way to gage the actual size of world of warcraft.

At least 5

5 Likes

Google provides many results to the question…but this seems good enough

www.mmo-champion com/threads/2365219-How-big-is-Azeroth

(Can’t post links, but Im sure you can make it work)

Not sure if this is possible, but I’d love to see the game scale way up to a “realistic” world size. Like taking several days or weeks to cross a zone. Have real life nature, where the forest seems empty until that one or two deer come out into the open to feed.

Every time I head out to the cabin for a couple weeks to hunt or just enjoy nature I always thing how cool it’d be to have that feeling in WoW. Maybe it’s a good thing WoW doesn’t offer that though, I doubt it can come close to the real thing.

3 Likes

Small. Someone worked it out back in BC, that Kalimdor is roughly twice the size of Manhattan.

https://tobolds.blogspot.com/2007/01/how-big-is-azeroth.html

Yea, any world you could run across in a matter of hours is super tiny on a realistic scale.

2 Likes

I remember an old blog post of somebody’s that was made well over a decade ago that attempted to measure EK and Kalimdor based on the knowledge that human male models are 6ft tall.

Their conclusion is that the two continents together have roughly the same surface area as one of the small northeastern states, which is pretty respectable for a game world.

Never measured Azeroth compared to Earth’s standards. :thinking:

The forum post I sort of linked suggests that the size is compressed for in-game convenience but is actually the size of earth lore wise

But it does agree about the actual in-game size

I know there’s a few videos on YouTube for at least EK and Kal, it’s a lot smaller than you might think.

IIRC Lake Lordamere is supposed to be big enough to take a couple of weeks to cross, to give an idea of how far the game’s scale is off from what it is in lore.

I too would love to see even a half or quarter-scale Azeroth in a version of WoW with lots of little sandboxy features. It’d be a lot of fun and would have a totally different appeal from mainline WoW.

2 Likes

Seeing we have giants and dragon, orgs ,elemental my guess twice the size of earth

Fictionally its the size of earth, actually your lucky if everything right now put together it probably fit inside the state of Texas.

I mean in game size not in lkore size.

There was a post a while back about this and using Lordamere Lake as reference, I placed Tirisfal Glades as the same size as Pennsylvania.

Can’t find my reference but it was regarding an army marching to attack the city, making camp at the lake and how many miles it took them to reach Lordaeron.

:ocean: :dragon: :mount_fuji: :cat::ocean: :dragon: :mount_fuji: :cat:

So all of WoW is maybe the size of new york city? >_>… or maybe new york state at least.

Well we could measure it by flying since it is a measurement in mph.

It is still much smaller than New York State. I would bet it would still fit in New York City

1 Like

Are we talking the whole or parts of Azeroth?

Using that as an (unofficial) measure and applying it to the world map, That makes this map roughly 32km x 48km / 20mi x 30mi.

New York / Newark metro area would be close.