How are you folks dealing with warriors cc and gap closers?

Today I tried some solo shuffles with destruction (I normally play affliction), and I had a really frustrating match against a warrior. I couldn’t get out and felt completely shut down the whole match, so I checked wowhead to see some numbers. In summary:

• Charge has 2 charges and 17 seconds recharge if talented
  • Heroic Leap has 30 seconds cooldown + 70% speed increase for 3 seconds, if talented
  • Storm bolt stuns for 4 seconds, with a 30 seconds cooldown
  • Shockwave stuns for 2 seconds with a 40 seconds cooldown
  • Pummel (if talented), interrupts for 3 seconds, and grants 5% damage for 10 seconds, if it lands. On a 14 seconds cooldown

So this means that in a 45-second window, a warrior can:

• Charge 4 times (2 initial charges + 2 recharges during that window)
  • Heroic leap twice
  • Storm bolt twice
  • Shockwave twice
  • Pummel 3 times

All of that while hitting hard

As a destro warlock, in those 45 seconds I can:

• Use the gateway once (90 seconds cooldown)
  • Use the teleport twice (30 seconds cooldown)

So I had the warrior on me 24/7. I had 3 opportunities to create a gap, while he had 6 opportunities to close it. Apart of that I had been completely shut down. If used on time, 4 seconds stun on the first storm bolt, after the DR resets, another 4 seconds + 2 seconds from shockwave. So it is 10 seconds out of the fight + whatever silence time I get for missing jukes (potentially 9 more seconds). All in all, it’s like not participating in the fight, and losing control of the character for half of the fight, while the warrior is smashing my face with an axe

On top of that, I need to cast to make damage, as opposed to have all instant actions, and the talent on pummel is like the Mettle embellishment, for which I need the infurious boots, whereas warriors get it from free, from a talent. Since I am not doing damage, their healer is just chilling cycloning my other 2 pals, and it just snowballs from there. Also I am wasting time from fake casting. So it is either not casting for getting pummeled, or not casting from trying to juke

Yes, I have coil and fear, which are broken by my own DOTs (not mentioning that I need to cast fear, which is exactly the problem). Yes, I also have recog, but that is not triggered by the stuns, and to trigger it I need to fake cast and I apply no damage while doing so

Anyway, I have no clue how could I keep distance with a warrior, or apply any kind of pressure to the other team. How are you folks dealing with all this?

1 Like

Broxikor has led me to believe that Warriors are easily kited and not very good. Is this not the case?

8 Likes

Answer his mobility with one your mobility or anti mobility tools(ice nova/blast wave/db) and you win that race.

Play shimmer if you want to kite the warrior. Blink x2, alter time (refunds a blink), displace, blastwave, ice nova, shifting power to lower the cd on all of it.

Don’t just use your mobility on air, use it as an answer to his. If you blink you know he is going to leap or charge, be ready to ice nova or just blink > ice nova and get his mobility 9/10x. DB when he connects again and walk away (shield to remove snares), you can use your CC on his mobility instead of just blinking.

Make sure you’re using shifting power on cd and make sure you’re using your abilities before said shifting power.

He’s talking about playing destro not mage.

Not that your advice was bad btw.

3 Likes

Way to expose me on not reading most threads I post in.

Port high damage windows/healer CC, kite with your soulburn freedom,Gateway on chase if you are really in trouble, use coil on mobility if you really have to, Abuse port.

You’re not a mage, you don’t have to kite 24/7.

3 Likes

break their legs

1 Like

Don’t forget their spell reflection & bladestorm when you finally have your 2 second free cast burst window!

I drag them behind pillars. They either have to back up or get smacked up.

1 Like

I mean you are a warlock. Stand still and cast, you don’t die.

no it doesn’t

no it doesn’t

and no it doesn’t

1 Like

I swear being a caster is the wow equivalent of having first world problems.

Yeah, for sure don’t forget to CS into spell reflect for a free precog window.

2 Likes

Omg that actually works? Only ever used spell lock for cast/healers only.
That could really be a worth it trade off when facing double melee!

1 Like

The correct answer here is that I pray to jesus they just overlap half their mobility.

This is also the case.

You can do this versus any spell reflect. Whether or not its worth is a whole different beast.

The problem then lies in needing to actually kick a cast (healer presumably with double melee) but now you don’t have it since you used it to give yourself precog.

Has value at times, but not at others.

too long didnt read press soulburn port and amp weak

purple class owns

1 Like

thats not how any of that works.

arms admittedly has one of the lowest kill pressures single target of any spec atm when viewed by anyone being genuine about it.

very disingenuous when u leave out short port and 6 sec immune to slow+sprint when u boost the port. while also being one of the tankier ranged dps.

this is a skill issue, destro can do tons of dmg while tunnel’d

ur other 2 pals aren’t playing the game?

Yes, thats why theres no warriors playing AWC, because i’m 100% right.

wrong there was warriors, they just got roflstomped and switched classes, did u even watch? god…

Oh, so they proved my point not one but two times, i’m sorry about that