How Are Trolls Paladins?

Sort of like what they had planned for the original DK plans, yeah! IIRC they decided against that since the QA team and testers reported a lot of negative feedback around that when they were still on the drawing board for that, though.

Trolls being paladins never made sense like goblins being shamans. Just checking boxes for inclusivitity I’d imagine.

Well yes, but actually no. Gonk has taught his followers druidism to counter an Emerald Dream curse quickly but Illidain doesn’t have the potential as a baby to become a druid compared to Malfurion. :scroll::robot:

…then it go back to the situation that all druid forms need to be racial so it has to be logical how each race would become a druid. Which means sadly Gonk can’t be for everyone. :t_rex:

Funny enough, I think the goblins had a druidic origin. Might be convincing for goblin druids. :robot::test_tube:

https://hearthstone.fandom.com/wiki/Kaja%27mite_Creation

That’s also why the lore doesn’t currently support Undead Paladins. Nearly all Undead Priests are canonically shadow priests as the shadow heals them while the light wounds them.

The Light doesn’t just wound the Undead. The Light WILL heal them efficiently, it’s just painful.

The Light is agonizingly painful and destructive to the undead but can also be used to heal undead, and while this is an efficient process, it is also very painful.

h ttps://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/Holy

I have no idea what you’re refering to?

As Orelias said →

The Troll Paladins were generally prelates trained with melee prowess — As opposed to other typical Paladins, who generally utilise the powers of:

• ‘The Light’ (conceptually or as a broad faith system / entity)
  • Faith in ones convictions & ideals that match in correlation with some or much of ‘the light’ as per above.
  • The Naaru (beings of light)
  • The powers of light stolen from another divine being or channelled through dimensional manipulation (eg. How the Sin’dorei Blood Knights use to harness their power)

:muscle: :triumph: The troll prelates were essentially champions of the loa, who were gifted with a seed of their divine power and granted spiritual & like-wise divine powers — Nurturing the stated gift with training & utilisation (or even simply continued devotion to the loa) would continue to strengthen this power further.

:unamused: Sadly However …

After Rezan’s death, dialog was given to sort of retcon all of that in proceeding to squat and take a sloppy-jallopy brown dump on how them being prelates was ANYTHING to do with the loa — and their powers & such is granted just by: “Following the ideals taught”

:face_exhaling: Hopefully in the foreseeable future they directly restore the Troll-Prelates more-so original lore, instead of just homogenising everything into the same cliche-basket :roll_eyes: … as they’ve been doing with many class-fantasies + lore as of late.

1 Like

Ooooh surfing, lmao. I read it has suffering. It all makes sense now. But yeah, look for a Loa associated with water I suppose.

Think of them like Cyrano De Bergerac: big nose and a noble heart.

2 Likes

Truth be told, I kind of feel the line the Rastari Prelates say feels like the ideals taught bit implies that the connection to other loa means that their influence, although not exclusively Rezan’s, serves as their faith conduit.

I always interpreted the ‘Following the ideals taught’ part to be like following the teachings of a master long after they’re gone. A lot of religions are like that, but honestly? When you factor in what you’ve mentioned previously about what made the troll prelates stand apart from the other iterations of paladins, they lend themselves more to some big classical knight tropes.

If there’s one thing that unites paladins thematically on a cultural level, defending the people and upholding justice is universally shared among them. While not every loa seems to embody tenants conducive to that, having a code that reveres and pledges to one’s crown and country seems VERY in line with what paladins often stand for.

Same reason as tauren paladin = money.

Everything else is just a mountain of gibberish. The “Light” has nothing to do with the sun or animal gods.

Back when I was a dungeon master running a D&D world, paladins were merely religious warriors who combined priestly powers with their martial skills. The nature of those priestly powers could vary with the deity granting them. Blizz would have more work to do - more dev time to invest - to pull that off.

Interesting question, actually. The more we realize the Light has its own agenda, the more we could ask where all it grants power - to who under what guises and to what ends?

They should’ve been a bit more direct with it then :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Currently, at the time – It’s presented in such a way where it’s some ordeal of just:
“Yeahnah we’re basic-pitch Paladins now. Virtuous ideals = superpowers? Something like that. Good for us, I suppose …”

:face_exhaling: Narratively, Blizzard tend to write rather vaguely ambiguous dialog lines for heaps of their characters — Which can be good sometimes; within the right context, however is TERRIBLE with many others.

Loa apparently

I thought the lore reason for Horde in general was that they had some paladin chained up in a cell somewhere and they are stealing his power by channeling it through them?

Honestly, I’d love “Loa” for the explanation of most of the Troll-races class powers & how they first came towards the introductory of such. :dracthyr_nod:

All sorts of various Loa:

“Yes we grant one a seed of power, and the rest of the individual’s strength comes from themselves – Nurturing it into something your kind refer to as a ‘world-tree’ but within their soul … When it comes to their power, we are merely the door – But the journey is their path to greatness and they themselves are the guide.”

1 Like

You would think, but Blizzard does have a habit of treating their lore and writing department like a red-headed stepchild when it comes to keeping things consistent and clean across titles.

Welcome to Roleplayer Hell!

God damn WoW lore, dude. I don’t even know why I try to follow anymore because it’s clear that WoW’s Lore department is fine operating on Rule of Cool in most cases, but then gets anal when people start to dig a little deeper. At this point, I’m pretty sure the writing team is kept in a box that’s deprived of all light and nourishment by the director and producer, and only brought out once every production cycle get dragged out abruptly from their solitary confinement, thrust into the blinding light of the world and handed a word processor to type what they witnessed in the dark.

Maybe then I’d understand how they thought writing a game world’s story and presenting it however the hell you call whatever THIS is now was a good idea, because that’s the only logical conclusion I can draw on.

Oh no, that was just the Blood Elves during TBC. Before Fury of the Sunwell, they had M’uru chained up in a basement and the elves were draining it of its light magic to use for themselves. Kael’thas then spirited him away to Quel’danas IIRC when he came back! It’s been a hot minute.

Then they can still be the druid class, mechanic-wise.

Not wrong there :sob:

I feel Legion peaked in lore, and since then it’s been backwash-sewage – don’t even get me started on Shadowlands :nauseated_face:

:100:

Honestly, I use to love how each race had their unique culture and lore on each class, even often admitting the deriving of a particular technique drawn from another to strengthen their own — but now it seems they just clump everything into one basket and say it’s not filled with many eggs, but just one. :unamused:

As much as I enjoyed Legion, even so much as loving a lot of class fantasy elements – It certainly did butcher most of the race-identities associated with classes with homogenising them solely into one category or shoehorned into a single race’s culture of it & declaring it as the ‘know-all be-all’ of its foundations & importances. :face_exhaling: