Hotfixes for Creatures in Island Expeditions

Wow nice changes, they seem like they’re going to do something………if I only knew what any of that crap was because I did one IE and said noooooope.

7 Likes

He said at least one each. Right now, it’s completely possible to do an expedition and get neither loot nor doubloons. That is completely and outrageously unacceptable regardless of the difficulty.

That aside, this is content that is meant to be a part of most player’s weekly checklist and is something that is supposed to remain relevant for the next year at the very least. Costly items like the mounts aren’t too surprising.

4 Likes

Nice, I will not have to take care of the freaking azerite spiders anymore, the random knockbacks and CC were a nuisance.

Costly items like the mounts aren’t too surprising.

They could be one million doubloons for all I care, its the same regardless. Either way….the activity that is supposed to give me the currency to get these items is not giving me that currency so it doesnt matter what they cost…I will never have enough to buy them

Its like valor points to upgrade gear but the dungeons to provide the valor points doesnt give you any valor…so whats the point?

On a base level, the island expedition concept has failed utterly because the incentive to do them is in the hands of fickle RNG that cannot be quantified, controlled or determined.

9 Likes

I was replying to your rant about someone suggesting at least one doubloon per run wasn’t enough due to how costly they were.

I don’t think anyone is denying that Islands feel unrewarding and that is partially why. It’s terrible that you can walk away without anything at all, I even mentioned that earlier in the post you just quoted.

2 Likes

I wish I had that luck. I do my 4 heroics each week since a couple weeks before the 8.1 changes, and I get two drops in a given week. And that’s across all drop types: so far I’ve gotten 4 pets (but one was a duplicate of a previous pet), 1 toy, a handful of transmog items, and a handful of quest items. No mounts of course.

And if you were using that addon to help target drops before they changed it to just RNG, you know that the loot table on transmog is pretty darn huge, plus all the other stuff. I could run those 4 heroic IE’s every week for the rest of this expansion, and I’d be lucky to get even half the pets, little less anything close to all 28 of them.

Frankly, I’d be more productive in terms of time invested in the game by farming the IE pets via just herbing and mining on alts, selling what I gather, and buying the pets off of the AH with the money I make on selling those mats I gather.

Right now the only real motivation I have to do the IE’s by completing those 4 heroics is to get the treasure map follower mission, although the rewards from that half the time are pretty lackluster, too.

And as far as that doubloon vendor, I’ve only gathered about two hundred doubloons, so I’d probably have to up my IE rate from 4 heroics each week to 4 a day each and every day to even come close to getting most, not even all, the stuff off of that vendor.

Simply put, this IE slot machine is tuned way, way too tight. And I’m quickly getting to the point where it is so unrewarding that I’m about to throw in the towel and just stop doing them again like I did earlier this expansion.

And now that I think about it, the same goes for a lot of drops off the warfront rares, too, but at least that’s only once every three weeks or so per warfront, so it’s not quite so grindy as the IE’s are, but still pretty unrewarding. Only pets so far, a few toys, and no mounts.

It’s really sad that we are 5 months into this expansion, and two of it’s biggest features, Island Expeditions and Warfronts, are so unrewarding that I find myself questioning why I’m even bothering in doing them.

So while it’s nice that Blizz is making some mob changes that frankly shouldn’t have made it out of internal testing, little less beta testing, to only get a “may” on additional future changes for IE’s is really disappointing and frustrating. If Blizz doesn’t see that as a problem that needs to be addressed, then I really start to seriously worry about the future of this franchise altogether.

/moo :cow:

6 Likes

Kyrex, I apologise

I am just so frustrated with this entire mess.

Please accept my humble appreciation for your kindness.

3 Likes

The issue of the rewards has been a common theme in the alpha, in the beta, and since launch.

3 Likes

Doubloons should be a gauranteed drop.

Normal: 20 per run.

Heroic: 50 per run.

Mythic: 75 per run.

Thats my suggestion for incentives. Regardless of difficulty, whether or not anything else drops, players should be able to work towards a vendor reward of their choice.

MMO is effort = reward.

The current system doesnt meet that criteria. The above, I submit, is a good way to start.

9 Likes

This is pretty much where I’m at.
I enjoy IEs enough that they make for a good change of pace when I want something simple and fairly mindless; but they are not engaging enough on their own to make me feel like they are ever worth doing unless I can always walk away feeling consistently rewarded.

Don’t get me wrong, it feels great during the occasional run where I walk away with 3+ pieces of loot and doubloons. Hell yes. But whenever I end one and stare at a chat log that says I received nothing but a pitiful amount of Azerite? Those runs alone make me feel like I wasted the 8-15 minutes I spent in there and discourage me from stepping foot into another one.

The loot tables being so insanely huge combined with the fact that you can receive duplicates is enough on its own to justify a piece of loot every run, at least for Mythic and/or PvP ones. If Blizzard disagrees, then a pack of doubloons each run guaranteed seems more than fair.

I just can’t justify doing them as often as I’d even like if there is even a chance that I will walk away with nothing.

5 Likes

I’m all for upping the doubloon payouts, but here’s an idea:

Stop building everything in the game around fighting armies of trash. Trash pve is the hands down weakest part of WOW’s battle system. Smart play would be to either put work into making it more interesting, or hiding it away.

Island Expeditions and Warfronts are just massive trash mob confrontations, with meaningless stakes.

4 Likes

I agree with all the above posts. Rewards definitely need improvements, communication and a better targeting structure.

I run normals ONLY because I multi box (2 characters, one is a 111 twink) so I can get more chances at the rewards per island and also have an easier time doing it. I afk on my other character. I can’t do this and win on higher difficulties without it taking forever and being significantly more difficult. I’d rather have two chances at loot through a quicker island at a lower drop rate, then 1 chance at a harder/longer island at a slightly higher drop rate.

I’m tired of getting duplicate transmog and pets. I have literally every pet and almost every xmog now and have done easily 1,000 islands and have only gotten two mounts (and funny enough 1 was from a Map not an island drop). It’s gotta change.

1 Like

But only two mounts.

Thats two more than a lot of people have.

5 Likes

Well I admit, that the expeditions were easier to finish, got 3 mythics done in one day and capped just like that, but…

I do agree with some posters about the reward situation to a degree, but personally gold is the language I speak so it doesn’t impact me so much anymore…4000 gold now that’s what I am talking about!

The loot is the issue. Not pets in my experience, but mounts. I’ve now done 80+, mostly heroics, with a good friend of mine. We have many (if not most) of the pets. Every 10 or so we’ll get a green, leather BOE.

Neither one of us have seen mounts. I have around 260 dubloons. That means I will have to run these things 460ish times to get the dubloons mounts. And who knows how many to get a mount to drop.

I don’t mind a grind, but come on now.

To be fair, I actually enjoy doing islands after the last patch.

3 Likes

While these changes are good, this is another in a long line of moments where I feel the Blue response took the wind out of my sails. After reading all the feedback from the feedback thread, the most common feedback was “increase the droprate.” So, to get this as the response is underwhelming, to say the least. I’ve run 2 characters using exclusively IEs and the average amount of dubloons earned was 70. Not even enough to buy a pet from the vendor after spamming them from 110-120. No mounts and a handful of pets/greens.

For me, I won’t be running anymore until the drop rate is increased.

2 Likes

I agree - I really think there should be guaranteed dubloons each time you run these. I am not sure what the point of a currency system is, if the currency itself is RNG.

1 Like

I agree they should be guaranteed but those amounts are far far too high imo. You used to get 8-10 if you were lucky with the extra bonus.

I would be happy with 5 guaranteed on normal - 10 on heroic and 15 on mythic.

2 Likes

i have received 7 dubloons total from 3 weeks worth of islands. and i have the boat perk for them. getting to those mounts is gonna take over a year at this stage.

this is on both heroic and mythic difficulty, never do normal.

just did my islands for the week this week. 2 dubloons. on heroic cause pugged them. 9 dubloons in a month.

7 Likes

Because by the time a person gets their mythic group and completes the instance i would have ran normal three -four times with a pug group. The two ppl in there are just extra dps for me. :rofl:

For loot i got one mount ,1 pet ,3 quests items and 5 doublons in one normal run…super lucky , huh?? well before that i got a boe and a toy. You can check my logs if you want it was a week or two ago :rofl:

Normal just plain and simple stomps the other two difficulties :+1: