Hotfixes for Creatures in Island Expeditions

What difficulty do you usually run?

1 Like

Normal islands.

1 Like

Can you tell us the reward structure between the difficulties? Like what are the mount drop chances on Norm, Heroic and Mythic?

4 Likes

To be fair a minor tweak is not much when people are complaining about a bunch of issues with IEs.

I have to admit, at their very core island expeditions are not fun. Sure bringing friends makes it more fun but doing fun things with friends is better.

As for the rewards? They are pretty much non-existent. From my experience the mounts have a drop rate about as low as a mount from a world boss. I should know, I have 3 world boss mounts and 3 mounts from island expeditions.

1 Like

I have gotten alot of green items and some weapon blues and alot of pets not sure how it’s not rewarding.

1 Like

Great changes for sure. One thing I’d like to see since we are on the topic of rewards is just some consistency to doubloons.

I noticed a hotfix saying you can get them on the ground again, I assume that was bugged?

Either way, a conservative fix in my eyes would make it so you always get at least 1 doubloon every island.
Maybe that should be only on Mythic or heroic, I’m not sure as I know nothing about the differences in rewards between the two.

But I think the times when you run an island and you get nothing at all feels very odd.
Some times I get 3-4 things, and other times not even a single dabloon.

That’s what I’d say is problematic with rewards.
The mounts seem too rare, but they are supposed to be, right?

But getting at least 1 doubloon every island, seems like a good step 1 here.

But maybe I’m underestimating the frequency of your ability to loot them during the island itself now?
Honestly I’ve never noticed one on the ground or anywhere else, but I’ve talked to others who have. Anyone here have any insight on that?

6 Likes

Of all the Island Expeditions feedback I’ve seen posted on the forums, this was not one of them.

1 Like

so did you ignore the part that you OVERNERFED the loot?

are you kidding us again? what do you exactly want from players? we give you feedback and you pick what to nerf or fix without asking us…

4 Likes

I mostly run heroic, because it offers automatic queue. Would run mythic if there was solo queue too.

I’ve run mythics with friends a few times and it felt like it has even lower loot drop chances than heroic…

3 Likes

I had been running on heroic, but switched back to normal due to the ridiculous buffs on the mobs in 8.1. With these changes, maybe heroic will once again feel like fun rather than like beating my face into the wall.

However, even on normal I think the doubloon drop rate needs to be majorly buffed, even if you keep the drop rates for pets and mounts balanced for higher difficulties. AP is simply not a reward for most players who aren’t doing high-end content (and I’m willing to wager the players running high mythic+ keys and mythic raiding, and who therefore need higher Heart unlocks, are not really your target audience for Island Expeditions), and will be even less rewarding when we’re no longer dependent on Heart levels to unlock our azerite armor. Getting AP is no reward at all; every island, no matter the difficulty, should be rewarding at least a few doubloons.

11 Likes

Whoa whoa, slow down. Let them get out of beta first.

9 Likes

heroics… I do HEROICS, because I believe when you said “higher difficulties, more loot” but I can spend sprees with anything useful at all or NO LOOT at ALL but repair bills, this is frustrating… there’s 9 mounts over 300+ items and people is getting barely anything from them.

people that do normals do it for quick pull on the slot machine, more loot chances the quicker you finish

7 Likes

Damn it man.

It used to be “THE HORDE HAS STARTED AZERITE RUPTURE!!!”

Me: OMG Thank you so much GOD I can finally win.

Now our advantage is gone

You understand that normals are much easier and faster to complete for the weekly Azerite, yes?

8 Likes

Cool thanks for the changes, those mobs were frustrating for sure. I’m finding droprate issues for myself personally, I’ve done many in a row and got nothing after putting a lot of work into them on heroic, same pattern in mythic too. I think it might be my bad RNG but wanted to mention it anyway, because who knows.

OH ALSO! Sorry, I just wanted to mention one thing. I do the weekly map on alts sometimes, and getting azerite after my 4 heroic IEs to get my map is very much of a letdown. So is getting 5k gold of course, granted it’s a bit better. But I constantly get azerite, more than any other reward (thus far only gold and the azerite, azerite being way more common.)

Also, I find that holding an azerite extractor tends to be pointless sometimes, and you don’t get much azerite. Other times, you get tons. I usually skip it but it’s a gamble, and I’m no expert so have no idea. It might just again be a me thing.

2 Likes

I did an island heroic. Once. (And cleared it).

Never again.

It was being knocked around constantly that put an end to it for me. And even though I am reading in blue that it will happen less, I’m never going back. The fact that it was left that way for so long in the first place is a slap in the face.

5 Likes

Umm how about no

2 Likes

Are these people 120, or over 310 iLevel (or whatever the requirement is)?

Expeditions are a good way to level and there are no shortage of leveling players running them regularly. I very rarely see 120s in them however. I do see them, but not often… and it is usually a headscratcher for me because Heroic is not much more difficult and can be queued freely.

Honestly I think most people running normals at 120 don’t realize that Heroic is just all around better to run. Roughly same or even greater clear times (cap might be higher, but Azerite gains are also increased), more progress toward your weekly cap, and greater chance at rewards. I wouldn’t put too much weight on people running Normal if there is a significant number running them at 120 - they don’t realize it isn’t worth their time compared to Heroic or higher.

3 Likes

People are running difficulties besides Mythic because you have failed to give the playerbase any concrete information regarding drop rates. Does mythic have a 10% higher mount drop rate? 5%? .17%? None of us know.

The core of farming cosmetics/vanity items in WoW is making an informed choice.

You have not given us all the information we need, and we are flailing in the dark.

18 Likes

but we have seen a number of people continue to run Island Expeditions on normal difficulty,

There is a very good reason for that, Bornakk.

Heroic is too punishing…and I want to emphasis this so you understand where I am coming from:

Heroic means greater repair bills , combine that with the bad to terrible drop rates and it is NOT WORTH IT.

Here is what was said to me: word for word:

I will not, will NOT, run something that will reward me with 300 azerite and a 200 gold repair bill. IT is that simple.

and here

heroics… I do HEROICS, because I believe when you said “higher difficulties, more loot” but I can spend sprees with anything useful at all or NO LOOT at ALL but repair bills, this is frustrating… there’s 9 mounts over 300+ items and people is getting barely anything from them

Metro

Either way, a conservative fix in my eyes would make it so you always get at least 1 doubloon every island.

ONE? What the…are you serious?

The mounts alone are a thousand each. Ten or twenty makes a damned sight more sense. One is a reason to never do them.

Exactly how many runs do you think people should do to actually get enough to buy something??

The biggest issue with these islands is that the rewards dont drop, the doubloons are too erratic and too few, the costs for the mounts on the vendor are way too high in relation to the doubloon drop rate.

The mobs are too hard, the damage is too high, the reward structure as it is…and Ive done more than a few , it comes down to this.

At the end of a run I can walk away with

No rewards.

No pets.

No mounts.

After I do say fifty runs and thats the end result…why would I keep doing it?

Some azerite and a repair bill…in effect we are doing an activity that costs us gold and leaves me with nothing in my hands. Bornakk, I spoke on this earlier, its also psychological.

Azerite is not a TANGIBLE reward. I can do a mission table and get the same azerite with no repairs. I can do a craft or resource hand in and no repairs.

When we do content like the islands, the net effect is that you get some azerite but nothing in your bags or in your hands to show for it.

That and the fact that gold rewards have been nerfed means we are out of pocket.

throws hands up in the air

Over to you.

18 Likes