Horde's existential crisis

germany tried to eradicate russians. they killed men women and children in their blitzkrieg march to moscow. thankfully, they were defeated. but did the russians eradicate every last german, or end the german nation in response? no, they ended the regime which started the war.

1 Like

The Germans were brutal and the russians were just as brutal when they marched west.

When the Russians took Berlin what they did to Berlin and the German populace is quiteā€¦ hard.
Read up on it if you dont believe me.
From then the Russians kept a tight control over Germany, occupying them, fencing off their portion of germany, installed their own puppet government and so on.

Germany only thrived under the Allies and that was after Naz! german high command were rooted out as best as possible. Everyone involved executed or imprisoned.
Naz! germany became Germany.
A completely new nation with lots of debts to repay.

THAT has NEVER happened to the Horde. Maybe it should.

5 Likes

Last I saw there was no Sieges of Leningrad done to Germany by Russia.

Lol, this is only a war for survival for the alliance, the worst the horde will get is a new warchief and a gentle slap on the wrist

7 Likes

Actually, the russians were not just as brutal, this is a myth thought up in the minds only of the defeated third reich. I have read up plenty on it thank you very much. germans were not exterminated down to the last child in their villages. germans were not put into extermination camps. the soviets did not have a program of enslaving germans.

i would also argue that this is a game with two playable factions and the execution of one factions entire leadership is never going to happen, so it is very important for the story to frame things such as it does. that sylvanas and those truly loyal to her are the problem, not the horde itself as federation.

2 Likes

That is possibly the dumbest famous battle you could bring up.
Siege of Leningrad or Stalingrad was an epic tug of war between German and Russian forces.

Berlin was a easy steamroll that the Russians won overwhelmingly.
There was a Battle for Berlin and it was over very quickly followed by the famous Rape of Berlin.

Did the Russians break Germany?
Yes.
Did the Russians try to completely control their portion of Germany?
Yes.
Did the Russians forgive the Germans and asked to not do that again?
No.

As for Alien non human race constantly attacking humans out of nowhere what do you think humans would do?
Well first we would kill as many as we can until all their defenses are broken.
We get them to surrender.
Set punitive treaties upon them like they canā€™t have an army (See Germany and Japan.)
Have them pay punitive damages and reparations.

Unless these other races are unreasonable well then we do something similar to Israel and Palestine and wall the whole country off.

5 Likes

It was a barbaric invasion of Russia with the intention to starve, enslave and kill every Russian and Slavic person to clear space for a ā€œLebensraumā€ i.e. Greater Germany.

2 Likes

Now you are changing the subject.

Are either of you two suggesting that real life humans would be merciful to the Horde?
Rofl.

We would kill millions of them and have weapons ready to fire on them the minute they act out of line again. The Horde as an organization would be broken up completely and each race/kingdom would be treated differently.

2 Likes

not something you would expect from -the good- faction. is it?

huh? /10char

Ew. Gross.

Why is Jaina the voice of reason again? Why are we raiding Org AGAIN? If only Blizzjam fixed their game. I doubt Blizzcon will be amazing this year. Every single Blizz game has been a disappointment in all directions except art.

11 Likes

people need to be willing to let go of the good vs evil concept, if they want their faction to take on traits of the other. you cant have both. you cant blur the lines between what defines good and evil, just for one faction but apply the full definition of evil to the other. something to think about.

2 Likes

because we would have already wiped out the horde at this point like we should.
or at least, we would be all dead because azshara is a bigger threat that we canā€™t deal alone.
such is the fate of faction war conflict.

i think that i speak for a lot of alliance players when i say that we donā€™t care about morals anymore.
we just want an old-school revenge, but of course we canā€™t have that.

5 Likes

Baineā€™s entire existence since succeeding Cairne has been as a life preserver for the Alliance to toss us when the Horde is written into another corner from which there should realistically be no return. We can only operate on what weā€™re shown, and we were shown Baine taking no action against Sylvanas when she blighted her own troops at Lordaeron and raised their corpses into undead fodder. But, somehow, Derek Proudmoore was the line that shall not be crossed. Contrast that with Cairne re: Garrosh Hellscream, and Baine looks like a timid chump.

Had Baine been written as a leader worth following, Iā€™d be onboard, but he hasnā€™t been. It remains to be seen if weā€™re getting awesome-Thrall back, but Iā€™ll be onboard with him 100% if thatā€™s the case. Iā€™m just not convinced that this storyline can be salvaged at this point. I hope Iā€™m wrong, and welcome the chance to be proven wrong, but the center stage characters of the faction war in this expansion have been a massive letdown.

4 Likes

Cairne is dead, pbuh. Baine is alive.

1 Like

You seem to have given up on the ā€œI am sure the Horde will have its turn nextā€ you had when we were discussing BoD in 8.1. I guess if you want to count a magic monkey paw version that did technically happen since 8.2 is a trap. Kind of a lame ā€˜the Hordeā€™s turnā€™.

Your idea there however, assuming you still hold some sense of fair treatment for both sides of the faction divide, would require something catastrophic to happen to the Alliance to equal the defeat and neutering of the Horde.

You do realise your not playing a single player game right?

If the Alliance is in a position where it can wipe out the Horde without leaving itself in ruins then it is a narrative that never should have been written. Anything less than that is treating the Horde as a second grade or side kick faction and any game with two mostly equally sized playerbases paying the same amount of money to play, that isnā€™t acceptable.

11 Likes

ā€œThe Hordes turnā€ i think was the prepatch/launch as far as blizzard is concerned. 8.1 was the ā€œcounter punchā€ by the alliance. and 8.2 is when the war gets evened out/messy as both factions fall into a trap.

The soviets utterly destroyed the Third Reich, yes.

The soviets helped with the establishment of a German republic which they held considerable influence over, yes.

Did the Soviets forgive the Germans? Arguably yes. The top down and official ideology of the USSR was that the german workers and civilians were to be viewed as potential comrades in need of reeducation. No extermination. No slavery. No race theory.

But again, none of what you are suggesting should happen to the Horde can happen in WoW and it is for that very reason the crimes they make the Horde do are continuously tied to its leadership or some corrupting influence so that once the leaders/corruption is remove the Horde as a political body can remain, since, you know, half the games player base plays it and has tied their immersion to it.

2 Likes

Yep. Whatā€™s the relevance there, exactly?

1 Like

you said what carne did was awesome basically. i agree it was. it also got cairne killed. something id assume baine as a character has factored into some of his decision making.

1 Like

ā€œNo life is worth living if we cannot be true to our nature.ā€

Baine accepted death as a likely consequence to handing over Derek Proudmoore, so I really donā€™t follow the logic there.

1 Like