Horde v Alliance exclusive content in SL?

From what I’ve heard, we’re going to be stuck there canonically for the entire expansion. Given that, and the fact that it’s not exactly a giant army rushing through to the Shadowlands, I don’t see much room for it.

I think a lot of it is because it seems like there are more options and variety, especially if you play both factions. If you play just one you might feel left out by having them split but if you play both and they’re exactly the same, it gets old twice as fast.

Plus, some people enjoy having their faction matter in the story. If both factions get the exact same story, it’s hard to feel much faction-based flavor.

1 Like

I think the Tyrande and Vol’jim questline will be faction specific(not 100% sure). And while this is a more neutral expansion I expect to see a very small amount of faction specific content though.

1 Like

Factions were the major theme of BfA. Just like classes were the major theme of Legion. So no, there’s no reason to believe there’s going to much faction exclusive content at all.

You keep using those words…

Like how you abuse the ellipsis while you try to deflect?

1 Like

I’m just going to leave this here

4 Likes

Ion confirmed that canonically we aren’t. But he did say that time in the Shadowlands flows chaotically. It’s not exactly 2x or 3x the speed. Essentially what he’s saying is that they can just time skip whenever they want when we’re in the Shadowlands. So at one point we’ll go back to Orgrimmar and it will be normal. The next time it could be 40 years later.

It’s just a writing tool really.

Ah, I must have read it wrong then. I suppose that’s what I get for listening to second-hand information.

I sincerely hope not, while the idea of two separate continents and divergent storylines was to be commended I do not believe it should ever be repeated. There was too much disparity and lack of cohesion.

The first raid as Alliance we get to go to Nazmir and wait, why are we here again? It made not sense.

:cookie:

2 Likes

The Horde exclusive content was basically everything leading up to the first raid of the expansion, while Alliance just jumped in to kill whatever that big slug is.

In Legion, the order hall quests made me want to level as many classes as I could, to see all the really amazing order hall stuff. You would think that would translate to BFA and levelling at least one horde and alliance toon, but that didn’t really happen, at least not for me. The inability to be in the same guild, or even mail boe’s or crafting mats between opposite faction toons really disincentivizes (is that a word?) playing cross faction.

I’m fine getting one story in SL.

3 Likes

One that im really scared of. Because it basically lets them hand wave a lot of things as “OHAHHohohohoho Time skip! OOOOooooOOOOooO magic!”

What’s wrong with that?

I’m in the opposite camp, I think the lore could use a soft reset/refresh/whatever, and a time skip allows for that.

For me, i dont think blizzards writing has been good for a while, and a time skip mechanic would allow them to wipe the baord clean of any existing plot points and then add their own which with how well, or not so well, they have been writing it makes me concerned with waht sort of silly crap they will do.

Like if they hand wave Genn siding with tyranda and just doing something dumb like rebuilding the wall, with out explaining why did he not fight with her, why did he not push into silverpine ect ect. Or just things like that.

Basically blizzards current writing is not the best imo and i see the time skip as a way for them to establish foot holds for very bad story points.

1 Like

This seems needlessly complicated, but I guess they need the out in case they decide not to do a rework.

Which means - they could do away with parts of the faction barrier when it comes to grouping! Just add an optional toggle to the various LFG systems and nothing else has to change.

:cookie:

1 Like

Or… it allows those things to develop. You’re saying it’s a bad move because of something that hasn’t happened.

It’s not that complicated. People have been throwing around the idea of a time skip for a while. Especially in the case of Shadowlands. Going into another realm and coming back to a changed world is easily digestible.

Going into another realm and coming back to a changed world is easily digestible

It’s also an easy solution to the “what were our characters doing all that time” problem.

No, no no no, im saying im concerned about it based of their current story telling. BFA being a total cluster of a story, the complete assassination of both tyranda and Sylvanas over the course of MoP-BFA.

For all i know they could end up making great stories, but with what i have seen so far, in my opinion, i dont have confidence in them.