Horde PCs and Moral Responsibility

How about just calling it a zone? That’s the accepted game terminology, and it gives you a nice apples-to-apples comparison factor.

2 Likes

I have been informed that you also played Fondant, and I see that your derogatory writing style as not changed since previous forums format. I would suggest you follow your own advice, but, as you don’t seem any different from when I put you on ignore on the old system, I don’t think you are capable of it. As such, I find it in our mutual interests that I once again not read your posts, and follow my own advice I recently gave someone else.

3 Likes

While a zone may be the right game mechanics term, this is largely a discussion on story elements and story elements rarely line up with gameplay elements. A zone could be anything from something massive, like the original Barrens, to something incredibly tiny, like the Broken Shore, and the term doesn’t really capture the finer details of the matter.

Take Silithus, pre-shankening. It was a “zone”, but it was for the most part sparsely populated with only an outpost here and there.

Then compare it to Durotar, which while still a zone, has multiple towns and population centers.

They may be comparable in gameplay terms, but the similarities end there.

1 Like

Another issue I have with that is that those towns don’t have a name and have not been given screen time. In the World of Warcraft to matter you need to have a name and screen time.

Mostly this goes for characters, an unending supply of “Kor’kron Reavers” can be slain without compunction or worry about the population effects of their death because they have no names and no screen time. Mantaur the Boar Grabber doesn’t really matter either, he can be killed and looted for his grab-stick without compunction because, while he has a name, he’s only on screen long enough to die.

And so this also applies to planets. The Burning Legion destroyed countless worlds, but we only care because that means they might destroy our world. Our world, which has a name and has been on camera frequently.

If it applies to entire planets, of course it applies to cities. And since New Acornburg has never been on camera, it doesn’t count.

I’m sorry, you asked a dishonest question. You’ve been around enough to know it was dishonest, but you were mistaken in thinking it was clever. I answered it at length, and your only response was to screech “ad hominem” because you literally could say nothing else to defend your behavior.

But I’m nice so let me give you a bit of my own advise. Click on your portrait, click on the gear icon, select preferences, notifications and just go ahead and add my name to that box that says muted. Oh, and grow up.

14 Likes

Your right. The Azeroth that we play in is a scaled down version of the canonical one. Using what little data we have, we can see that the actual ‘city’ part of Teldrassil was barely 1/4 of the entire tree (rounding up, I’d put it at a 1/5th).

So while New Acornburg might not count, since it doesn’t appear in lore that we know of, Aldrassil, Dolanaar, Rut’theran, Starbreeze, and the Wellspring Hovel all do have names and do show up.

Which…is actually a lot of towns, in WoW standards.

2 Likes

The same is true of a country.

You are right, these all count… but in this particular case we know most of these aren’t towns because of their full names.

Wellspring Hovel
Rut’heran Village
Starbreeze Village

Aldrassil and Dolanaar maybe are towns. My Darnassian is nonexistent and so I’m not crystal clear on suffixes. For instance I think -sil just indicates giant tree, so Aldrassil appears to be named after the big tree it’s built around. Like how Niagara Falls is the name of cities in Ontario and New York.

-naar I’m pretty sure indicates a population center. Satyrnaar was supposedly sizable city and using the unscientific ‘amenities test’ Dolanaar seems to be the largest settlement you’ve mentioned.

Not that it isn’t horrible all the same because of course villagers are people too. Some of them are in fact the Village People and where would we be without In the Navy and Macho Man?

So by all means, lambast the Horde player to your hearts content for all the villages and towns destroyed. We may never get that sequel to Hot Cop because the brutality of the Horde.

Which is why I specified “Small Country”.

The point is that Teldrassil was far more than just a city, holding all manners of population centers, towns, and the like. Calling it just a city when by all means it was significantly more than just a city is a huge understatement.

And…lambasting Horde players? I’m not lambasting Horde players, this is supposed to be a story discussion…and while I can’t speak on behalf of other players, I haven’t said jack here about Horde players. Only the story and units of measure.

Lighten up, buddy. Your taking this discussion awfully personally. Here I thought that token thing that you were talking about was a joke, god forbid an Alliance player tries to play into a Horde player’s joke.

2 Likes

Yeah, Darnassus was the city. Teldrassil is an entire early questing zone with multiple settlements that hold clusters of quests designed to take new players as high as level 20. Like how Tirisfal Glade is an entire early questing zone and Undercity is the city. Or Eversong Woods compared to Silvermoon City. Don’t worry, I get where you’re coming from.

I didn’t say you were, sorry that I seemed to imply that. I had hoped my Village People references would make it clear I’m not serious. I just said that you could. It’s allowed, just like South Shore is allowed to be brought up whenever.

Obviously the idea of a savior token is a joke about how the writers deal with characters having to participate in horrific acts one moment, but be treated like paragrons of heroism the next. I probably shouldn’t have even shifted the subject over to story forum discussion etiquette.

2 Likes

So if you don’t mind having modifiers, I still don’t see why country is a better term than zone. But I feel like this conversation is going on longer than it probably warrants.

This ^

The WoW story is like a book. In BfA this is more latent, but (particularly) it is a book that I do not currently like and I have to wait about 3/4 months for each chapter (which often worsens the situation) in the hope that something is better.

13 Likes

And you have to reread the same terrible chapters over and over while you wait.

2 Likes

If someone is saying that YOU the player have responsibility for what a fictional character does in script, tell them they need to disconnect from this game and soak in some reality for a change.

11 Likes

Unfortunately…

1 Like

Because Blizzard has different groups of people writing different things and there is no Creativity Tyrant keeping them all to an underlying World Bible.

3 Likes

Then why the hell is some goon getting paid as ‘Creative Director’?

Who’s been spending most of his time in the hospital lately, if you haven’t caught the news. And maybe even when he is on keel Metzen may not be the Creativity Tyrant or Blizzard may decide to make changes in canon that they think will improve sales of the product.

I know that creative doesn’t out-muscle financial, not even in creative companies. I get that. But I fundamentally don’t see how something like chronicles, which doesn’t strike me as a profit priority for Blizzard, is so alienated from the rest of the creative legacy it exists to celebrate and record.

As to the CD being out sick, sympathies to the man but the joke ‘Small Indie Company’ was only ever a joke. At the point where you have an office with statues of your product I start to expect something in the way of responsibility handoff. I’m not seeing some exceptional detail as to how this isn’t true at ActiBlizzard.

Datamined dialogue threatens that Sylvanas does plan to kill the “Good” PCs.

She even sends Lor’themar and Co. on the Nazjatar mission in hopes that they don’t survive.

2 Likes

That line also doesn’t show the Horde had attacked first, it only shows that those soldiers are upset about the situation. Obviously if the Alliance had attacked first, they wouldn’t be too concerned about it.

Nothing in that quote says the Horde attacked first, it just shows Gar’ant wants to capture the weapon before them.

Nothing in that quote says the Horde is going to attack.

The difference there is, it’s made very explicit that they’re at each other’s throats during the campaign. But on the Broken Shore, the Alliance and Horde fought side-by-side, with Varian trusting the Horde to watch the Alliance’s flank.

How is that full circle, exactly? I get that you’re saying tat by virtue of cause and effect Genn wouldn’t have joined the Alliance if not for Gilneas, but what I’m saying is, the perceived betrayal at the Broken Shore is what drudged up all that animosity from Gilneas and motivated him to attack.

Sylvanas and the Forsaken are members of the Horde. It’s ridiculous to think that they wouldn’t have been covered by the treaty as well, in the sense that it was actually considered valid for the Alliance to attack them while the factions were supposedly at peace. At most you can say the Alliance pushed for concessions of conflicted territory (Which is really what Varian is referring to, nothing in his dialog suggests actually combating them), like Gilneas or Arathi, in order to check Forsaken expansion in the region. But as far as my point goes, that Genn attacking the Forsaken in retaliation for Gilneas was rendered void as a legitimate action by dint of him agreeing to peace with them after the fact, nothing you’ve shown contradicts that.

They could have been there for many reasons. For example, that area is directly adjacent to Alterac and the Alterac Valley, the latter of which at least the Alliance does claim ownership of. It makes sense they’d have forces in the region protecting the passes into their territory.