Horde needs to change its culture

Horde bad

Alliance good

Horde bias

Head cannon

Rabid Nelfs

Just another post on the story forum! Morning everybody! :grin:

24 Likes

Horde players always wanting something the Alliance was never afforded. Typical.

I mean Jaina is a demigod and 90% of the time she shows up on screen she is more powerful than the entire horde as a whole. Tyrande and Malfurion have got to the point of Demi god this xpac (they arguably were before).

Us over on the red team got Baine humping Anduins leg, dead Saurfang, unretired does nothing Thrall, Lor’themar who hasn’t done jack since MoP and even then all he did was flip a bench.

We did get to witness a second Warchief get to Demi god level though, after they were on the bad team of course.

28 Likes

The Horde’s character roster right now is basically just a bunch of Player Characters with extra HP.

Baine is just a Tauren Warrior.
Thrall is just an Orc Warrior.
Rhokan is just a Troll Rogue.
Lillian Voss is just a Forsaken Rogue.
Lorthemar is just a Blood Elf Hunter.

And so on.

I have yet to see any of these characters (besides formerly Thrall) demonstrate anything on Jaina or Tyrande’s level.

31 Likes

Baine is Anduin’s consort.

:cactus:

15 Likes

At that point I think the Orcs and Draenei were magically equal. Though the Orcs only used their Warlocks in grand rituals instead of battling in the front. Funnily enough, the Orcs used a “super weapon” to destroy Karabor when they couldn’t defeat its defenders. It was the Dark Star. Shattrath was pretty metal though. No super weapons. The siege was just fel and muscle. Chronicles did claim the casualties were costly for the Orcs too, but that’s to be expected if the main target of the siege was Velen, and the Legion didn’t want him escaping.

The extensive use of magic all but disappeared once the Orcs opened the Dark Portal. I think its because they didn’t want to repeat another Draenor. Gul’dan had like a handful of warlocks with him during the crossing. Stormwind City had an entire district dedicated to the arcane, and another one dedicated to the Light. It makes me think that Orcs have a comparatively low population of spellcasters compared to other races. Thus, they rely on grunts most of the time. Other races have a large population of spellcasters that might offset the physical differences between armies clashing. I reason its why the Orcs could only muscle out races that were magically on par with them. The Ogres are the outliers, but Chronicles even said initiate Draenei mages had a superior grasp in the Arcane compared to the most illustrious of Ogre mages.

At what point was the Horde an unstoppable force? It gets stopped constantly. Got stopped in Stormheim in Legion. Got held up for ages by a cobbled together militia in the War of Thorns and failed in it’s target of taking out Malfurion and holding Teldrassil. It got stopped in keeping Zul from freeing G’huun. It got got all its efforts in the war campaign nulled. It got stopped from getting the Zandalari fleet. It got stopped from saving Rastakhan. It’s entire effort on Zandalar was a failure. The only reason it didn’t lose the war was because the Naga got involved.

When in any of that did the Horde look like an unstoppable force to be reckoned with. The Horde failed constantly and needed to be saved by it’s enemies. Twice.

23 Likes

Yeah, A Good War showed a barebones NE military (Tyrande having taken a big part of their army on a wild goose chase) stonewalling a very large Horde force who had to explicitly get lucky with a smuggler knowing a secret path to not get held up until Alliance reinforcements forced a Horde retreat.

4 Likes

This thead should be titled “Blizzard needs to change its writers.”

35 Likes

It feels like Blizzard have an inconsistent tone with respect to the Horde, and have strayed from their early visions for the faction. In Vanilla, you had the Horde actively trying to be ‘better’. I just finished a line of quests in classic that sought to bring legitimacy to the Horde. It featured Orc Warriors who fought of their instinct to charge into hopeless battle and instead find a solution because it was their duty to their clan and the Horde. It was a changing of culture.

Even in the Post Cata zones, in Swamp of Sorrows, there’s a quest where a warrior is mourning her fatally wounded husband. She tries to keep up the ‘hurr blood and thunder’ but she’s sad because he’s dying. It was a fresh look that, in a realistic sense, no matter how war mongering the Horde are, they still have relationships and watching their friends / loved ones die sucks.

But lately, in MoP and onwards, it did feel like Orcs in particular were back to kill everything mode. Garrosh and that style of Horde were pretty much the exact opposite of the Horde Thrall was trying to build, imho. The New Horde in Vanilla post WC3 was about uniting all the different clans into a coherent entity and fighting war after war would lead to their extinction, and so they did their best to maintain peace. Juxtapose that with the rampant war mongering of the later expansions.

I think what really needs to happen is Blizzard introduce new Horde characters and have us care about them. Elevate them into positions of leadership in a way that players as well as lore wise would enjoy. All of our heroes are pretty much dead at this point. Even my boy Drek’thar is in a wheelchair.

8 Likes

The idea that the Alliance and Horde have to fight each other all the time is the big problem here.

If they just focused on getting a big villain/zone, and have the horde and alliance do their thing, provoke the other just a bit, but without going on full scale fighting, there would be no need to create a villain in a faction all the time.

8 Likes

Destroy the factions. They are a plague upon this game. I have enough of us Vs them partisanship in real life.

12 Likes

Hear, hear.

6 Likes

All of this.

The Horde nominally has a culture with several morally upstanding values… Blizz just stopped writing it in favor of doubling down on the darker aspects.

If they just started writing about Horde shamans, pre-BfA-Saurfang type characters (won’t let the Horde go down a dark path again, but will gladly fight For The Horde), tauren elders - tauren anything really, Forsaken who don’t want to kill all the living (while not deleting the darker Forsaken, just showing a wider spread of Forsaken motivations)… and actually let them act/react to current events, then the factions would be in such a better state.

6 Likes

Not until after the Kaldorei get vengeance.

When will people realize that literally nothing matters when it comes to Blizzard’s plot decisions? It can be butchered into the nuHorde of Puppy Kisses and Baine Hugs, but the moment Blizzard wants to see blood, it will commit another Teldrassil. Instantly.

Blizzard does not care about writing consistency. Let us hold onto at least some vestige of what Horde fans were drawn to the Horde for.

27 Likes

I want to see negative and positive aspects of both factions, you know, like how actual societies function.

All of this begging for Blizzard to turn both factions into perfectly good morally upstanding goody-two-shoes makes no sense to me. You cannot possibly be that boring, right?

2 Likes

As if Horde fans don’t constantly scream “Jaina, Tyrande, Genn etc” should become our villians!

If Warcraft were to end, we know it will end with the factions presumably being “better” than whatever was there in the first place. Starcraft 2 is probably the end template we will have when all is said and done.

If anything, we’re TOO good.

We go long periods of repressing all our villainous tendencies, until eventually, we snap, and WILDLY overcompensate, and then go back to repression.

Instead, we need to maintain a constant stable stream of low-key villainy to serve as a steady release so we can avoid doing any more genocidal events.

4 Likes

God forbid we have an ally character go kookoo for once. I don’t really care that much other than it would be an actual unsuspected move by blizzards part, something we haven’t seen in a long time.

At this rate the orc leader will soon be “Nameless Orgrimmar Grunt 32” the same goes with basically every horde race except Belfs and Tauren.

7 Likes