Hopefully this is the end of the failed lootbox system

That is what the “off topic - Games, Gaming, and Hardware” subforum is for.

This is General Discussion concerning World of Warcraft.

To be technical.

I love having the ability to worry about multiple things at once.

6 Likes

If we applied those rules, half these posts would have to be removed.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say 1/2. But definitely all the ones advertising ESO/FFXIV. Sure.

But I’ve never once put money into a slot machine and got something of value back 100% of the time.

Its seen as “gambling” because typically people are after specific items. And they continue buying the loot boxes until they get that certain OverWatch skin, etc.

1 Like

I am playing PoE with my brother a few nights a week. The game is F2P, but if you were to buy all the cosmetic extras I am betting it would cost you over $10,000.

The Sims also works on a model of making you pay hundreds of dollars for a complete game over a several year period.

1 Like

What do you get of value from a loot box? What is the value of an overwatch skin that you do not actually own for a character you do not actually own in a game you don’t actually own.

1 Like

I guess flying dragons and bad writing don’t siphon attention away from the “real world”. Any time people make these political stances with broad terms and have it only apply to what they want annoys me.

You could say that about any business that sells a product, or service. Businesses want to create a loyalty so they have repeat customers. So it could be said everyone that continually buys their specific products are addicted as well.

Here’s an idea, lets just have 1 product for each use, because even Bernie Sanders stated in a rally that . . . We don’t need 85 different types of deoderant. . .

I don’t think this will pass the senate, anyway.

You do get something of value back though every time. Be it a spray or a emote or w/e. Those all have value. Hell if I know their exact value but the value is there. It’s probably why they’re even allowed to sell this filth in the first place.

One huge difference.

It would be like. " i need to get some deoderant ". So you go to walmart. You pick up a mystery bag for 2 dollars. Its frozen french fries. Ok. Not what you wanted. You buy a 2nd mystery bag. Its chocolate syrup. Not bad. Not what you wanted.

So you continue buying mystery bags to get the 1 thing you actually wanted.

Now you spent about 60 bucks to buy a 2 dollar stick of deoderant.

That is different from businesses wanting to create brand loyalty through selling a good product.

With loot boxes they are sincerely hoping you do not get what you want. So that you continue to purchase.

6 Likes

POE does microtransactions/in game store the best. I haven’t played Fortnite but I’ve heard it’s kinda the same.

FYI when you are talking about value in gambling you are talking about monetary value. There is no real monetary value of it nor can you convert it to money. Also if you got a tootsie roll every time you lost on a $1 slot machine is it no longer gambling?

I think earning in game currency to purchase loot boxes is ok and can be fun as long as the loot isn’t game breaking… like opening a deck of trading cards. I used to love buying MTG packs and seeing what I would get.

Real money though… dangerous.

I don’t, it’s really bad for my blood pressure :sweat:

But yes, I have the ability to be worried about dozens of things all at the same time. It really kind of sucks.

SWTOR might as well shut down then… that is all that is keeping that game alive money wise.

Yes, we shall have bread lines and gulag for all. Someday, comrade.

At least bread has some kind of intrinsic value, you can actually eat it.

lootboxes work great in rock league. instead of being forced to pay $29/39 every few months for the newest maps and items, the devs provide them for free and charge $1 per key to open a crate. the beautiful part of the system is that everything inside the boxes can be traded, which means players have created their own system of using lootboxes(crates) as a form of currency to trade for what they want.

it’s possible to get any item you want(for free) by trading crates.