Hopefully this is the end of the failed lootbox system

Sen. Josh Hawley on Wednesday announced that he will introduce legislation banning “manipulative” online game features he says can push children to become addicted to technology.

Hawley’s Protecting Children from Abusive Games Act would prohibit games geared toward children from implementing features that prompt users to pay real-world money to advance in the game, called “pay-to-win,” or receive rewards at random for a fee, called “loot boxes.”

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) would be tasked with enforcing the ban, and state attorneys general would also be empowered to file lawsuits against companies who violated the rules.

“Social media and video games prey on user addiction, siphoning our kids’ attention from the real world and extracting profits from fostering compulsive habits,” Hawley, a former GOP attorney general and one of the most outspoken Republican tech critics, said in a statement.

“No matter this business model’s advantages to the tech industry, one thing is clear: there is no excuse for exploiting children through such practices,” he said.

The bill would specifically target games geared towards children, as determined by their “subject matter, visual content, and other indicators.”

The senator is expected to introduce the bill sometime in the next few days.

The Entertainment Software Association on Wednesday put out a statement rejecting Hawley’s proposal. The acting president and CEO of the video game industry trade group, Stanley Pierre-Louis, pointed out that “numerous countries, including Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom, determined that loot boxes do not constitute gambling."

“We look forward to sharing with the senator the tools and information the industry already provides that keeps the control of in-game spending in parents’ hands,” Pierre-Louis said. "Parents already have the ability to limit or prohibit in-game purchases with easy to use parental controls.”

Hawley, would prevent tech companies from amassing personal information about teenagers without their consent.

As it stands, COPPA requires tech companies to obtain parental consent in order to collect data on children under 13. The bill introduced by Markey and Hawley would extend protections for those between 13 and 15.

Children’s data privacy has offered some opportunities for bipartisan agreement as lawmakers in both chambers seek to hammer out the nation’s first comprehensive privacy law.

And Hawley has sought to make a name for himself as a tech critic in the Republican Party, criticizing tech giants’ enormous market power and alleged exploitation of customers. At a Hoover Institution event last week, Hawley criticized tech companies for encouraging users to become addicted to their products.

“Users’ attention is bought by the tech giants and then immediately sold to advertisers, for the highest price of course,” Hawley said during the remarks. “Social media only works as a business model if it consumes users’ time and attention day after day after day.”

20 Likes

what does this have to do with wow?

16 Likes

Ok… but what does this have to do with WoW?

Kannil beat me to it!

4 Likes

What, you don’t come to GD for your daily news blasts?

Tch, amateur.

5 Likes

I would say he’s posting this in a general discussion forum because he believes its a relevant discussion in general concerning video games.

I could be wrong though

10 Likes

They will move onto some other garbage.

Are you really that dumb?

2 Likes

RIP Overwatch and Hearthstone.

7 Likes

Overwatch already has a system in place to buy skins with straight cash. They just only use it for OWL. If they ever banned loot boxes as a microtransaction, they’d just keep them as a leveling reward and throw flat value skins in the shop instead.

I don’t see the US doing anything that gets lootboxes banned anytime soon though.

There will be workarounds for the loot boxes, if this passes.

The most significant aspect is extension of COPPA to 15yo. Personally I think all data collected should require affirmative user consent & disallowed for all minors without parental consent, but that would be a sweeping change.

Only on games marketed to children though?

Seems like they define that as up to 15 or so, so it would affect Blizzard’s games.

1 Like

Lol my friend is one of those “buy 20 lootbox to get new Mercy skin” kind of guy, unless they straight up sold Mercy skin at $100-$200, selling lootbox will be way way more profitable.

Actually Australia’s oversite board does believe it is gambling. Also Japan and China do as well.

2 Likes

So happy for the gaming industry. The dark era of lootboxes looks like it’s coming to an end sometime soon.

11 Likes

It’ll be replaced with something even more nefarious.

Capitalism will not be quelled so easily.

2 Likes

At least it’s one more method scratched off the list. Progress is progress.

2 Likes

Pretty sure this will make all games M rated for now on.

I think there is more important things to worry about than Loot boxes. In the real world—veterans being homeless and hungry and so on.

Hahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaaahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahha.

It is to late for the children. Technology is everywhere!

1 Like