Holy/Ret Paladin Dead in the Water Phase 3

Holy literally don’t have waist, chest, or leg runes and it looks like we won’t have a wrist option either in Phase 3.

Horn of Lorderon is a literal joke.
Divine Sacrifice is practically useless when you can’t use it with bubble.
Enlightened judgement just gives us more range to use judgement… you can’t miss a heal anyways.

The ONLY Reason Ret did any good in Phase 2 was because of a meme weapon (Automatic Crowd Pummler) and relying entirely on getting as many melee strikes in as possible to proc Exorcism and Seal of Martyrdom. And in phase 3 we’re expected to pick up either a rune for Hammer of Wrath (a cast ability) or for Holy Wrath (another cast ability). Which are both useless because it will literally be of more benefit to the paladin to just keep auto-attacking than to use that ability.

Why not remove the cast time from Hammer of Wrath / Holy Wrath if we’re expected to insert these abilities into our rotation?

Hammer of Wrath would then be a proper execute and Holy wrath could transition seamlessly into a melee rotation.

13 Likes

Ret benefitted from a bug that the devs couldve fixed but left it as is. Ret will be fine. Holy on the otherhand needs more love than any of its other specs.

1 Like

That is a joke right? An unintentional gameplay loop sprung out that made Ret paladin bearable and that’s okay to stick with? It doesn’t even work effectively without Pummeler. Likelyhood is we’ll be holding onto a level 40 weapon till 60 at this rate.

3 Likes

I have quite a bit of exp on a pally in several expac but I do not play one in SoD to start this off with…

Holy pally is not suppose to just stand in the back and heal that is not how the class was designed at all ever.

Enlightened Judgement is 100% the holy bracer rune… hit cap on judgements to allow you to get JoL or JoW up asap while running in is great…

I do agree you guys got hosed for chest runes… however coming from a bear druid… “1st time?”

I do also agree about the DSAC issue not being able to be used with bubble… however does canceling the buff on urself work like it did in WOTLK??

BUT you also have Inspiration Examplar which albeit is not super strong but is an option.

I won’t lie, this is an awesome rune, but it has limited uses in PvE if you never encounter mobs that fear during your run.

5 Likes

this is 100% a fair point and us bears have the same issue with skullbash

1 Like

Or they couldve just patched the bug. Take it or leave it.

MY CURRENT ISSUE with pally runes is hammer of the righteous as of now DOES NOT SAY REQUIRES 1H WEAPONS and this is a HUGE issue imo

Hah! Nothing new to a hunter. We are mandated to take Heart of the Lion for our chest rune with the only exception being if we have another hunter in the group. Nothing new for us.

yea man i dont wanna turn this thread into something besides pally stuff but I will say when berserk was 1st added… it literally did nothing for lacerate so if you took lacerate u DID NOT HAVE a rune at all for belt… and our leg rune options for bear is a worse version of feral charge that cost 2x as much rage… and we are forced to take WS on our chest unless a cat is in our group cuz WF doesnt work for feral still…

our gore rune is laughable … Lacerate can reset the CD on mangle… but we cant get mangle and lacerate at the same time… our wrist option (the only one for bear) just adds some healing to frenzied regen which we almost never use unless in pvp…

yea we the lowest dps tanks but hey here is some better healing LOL

ANYWAY b4 i got carried away… I think Holy Pallies need some more attention on runes as well!!!

This HORDE bear supports you guys!

It will 100% require 1h weapons the same way Avenger’s Shield rune initially didn’t say it required a shield but it infact did require a shield. This will be the Prot paladin AOE threat generator since they will have to pick between Consecration and Holy Shield next phase, you don’t have enough talents for both until level 51.

I know you’re upset about your class being gutted by blizz as well, this is no reason to be upset at other players and lash out at other classes, be mad at Blizz. A problem is a problem and I’d love to discuss all the problems with hunter but I feel it would require its own separate thread to get the right kind of attention.

2 Likes

Not sure why enlightened judgments would be the holy waist rune, its never been hard to get seals up on bosses as a paladin, especially as most will be spec’d Lasting Judgements, so its not like they have to apply judgements often, also JOL is extremely weak overall so often isn’t worth casting. This seems much more a PvP rune for ret to me, since it adds another ranged attack, and fixes spell hit issues.

As for DSAC, the problem is it was never a useful ability even in WOTLK as only DSAC, where it became useful was when you also added and talented into Divine Guardian, which added additional a second effect which absorbed damage, where paladins could clear or bubble the DSAC ability but retain the Divine Guardian ability. Unfortunately paladins only got the first part, but where they also blocked bubble from being used.

Looking at the runes right now out of 7 runes, really only 3 are decent for holy, the runes being Sacred Shield, Beacon of Light, and either Lights Grace or Fanaticism. Two runes can be situationally ok Horn of Lordaeron (to buff ranged hunters) and Inspiration Exemplar, currently both waist/wrist have nothing of real value, though at least in the waist slot Sheath adds a small hot.

1 Like

Sucks that it adds no real value spellpower-wise when Hpally gear has all spellpower and int and no attack power to convert to spellpower, unless they also expect healers to use Ret gear just like how shockadins are using AP gear instead of their own SP gear.

Just more and more bad decisions coming from the Dev team, their prize classes continue to get overwhelming buffs meanwhile the classes they’ve ALWAYS marginalized are pushed furthur into the dirt.

Yes this is a massive issue and from the looks of it… not being addressed at all. Utter embarrassment.

6 Likes

This seems par for the course with the SoD development team. Some things get addressed if/when the developers feel like it. otherwise tough luck.

The whole “listening to community feedback” thing was just a sick joke.

I’m actually sickened by how much effort they’re putting into buffing a MEME spec of paladin (Shockadin) that maybe 15-20% of the paladin community would even be interested in trying and they pushed it to the forefront as
“yeah this is what they want, we’ve convinced ourselves this is what they want”

2 Likes

Holy paladin is extremely strong, second only to priest and it needs to be a decent/good priest

1 Like

Not sure what raids/BGs you’re going to but our Spriest does as much if not more healing than any Hpals we’ve brought along. Not to mention our actual healing priest does almost double the amount of healing as our Hpals do.

So your saying that a class which was fine this phase and will most likely continue to be fine, is getting some cool new gameplay options that people might like to experiment with for fun and is literally what made the game fun in original classic for some (min-maxing meme builds to see how viable they could become) and you want less options?

Why can’t we have both? I found ret to play like a watered down WOTLK style ret, and so I dropped it this phase because it was not that interesting. A shockadin sounds like it could be quite fun, even though it might not be TOP TIER OP DPS, doesn’t have to be to be fun.

Obviously raids with holy paladins that are dedicated to being holy paladins lol. Our holy paladin regularly beats priests with mid 90’s average parses and he’s never below half mana.

paladins are inevitably fated to never experience or enjoy the class fantasy in classic.but this time, they cant even heal good, so they dont even get that here. These devs are so out of touch, they have literally 20 years of seeing paladins flaws as reference and they still cant get it right.

6 Likes