Holding people accountable in 2019

Short question: Will current anti-harassment policies prevent ninjas from being called out on server forums?

Longer version: The wife and I have played since vanilla, and were fairly progressed by TBC (half through Naxx). We were in a semi-hardcore guild; our guild had app/interviews and raided 5 nights a week but didn’t have requirements like 14 farmed buffs etc.

Earlier before we killed Ragnaros in MC, we had a guy ninja the Majordomo chest. He then started the Ragnaros encounter before the raid was ready etc, the typical troll stuff.

He joined another guild immediately, and was taunting the officers and the GM via whispers. The guild posted a thread on the server forums, getting him removed from that other guild and every raiding guild blacklisting him. His real name was never used, but he had to reroll his character to raid again.

By the way things work with anti-harassment policies today, is this allowed in Classic? It was one of the most effective ways of making sure someone’s reputation followed them.

Plus, come on, who didn’t love a good server forum drama thread?

17 Likes

Surely calling a character out by name, and defending the call-out with screenshots is on a different level then calling a player out?

I don’t think we’ll be seeing #NinjasToo trending on Twitter, but I guess you never know.

And on your last point: “There will be drama.”

13 Likes

I would agree, but it’s been awhile since server culture mattered.

3 Likes

Pretty sure the “don’t call out people” rule has been around since Vanilla.

Things like that you handle on the server, a mature talk with the GM of the guild they fled to. Word of mouth spreads and he would have had to name-change/reroll anyway with that kinda crap behavior.

2 Likes
  1. it is impossible to ninja loot in WoW , has always been impossible and always will be impossible.
  2. see 1
3 Likes

Yeah yeah, there is no spoon Neo. We get it.

10 Likes

Who uses forums anymore? Obviously there will be server discords with a special channel #NinjaLooters

9 Likes

Yes,

I don’t see different forum rules just because it’s Classic.

Why not just let the other guilds on the server know? Back when I was playing Vanilla, we all knew which guilds were raiding.

Majordomo chest was ninja lootable for at least half of vanilla. Anyone in the raid could open the chest and loot items even if ML was on.

This also applies to other chests with loot from boss encounters, such as DM or BRD.

4 Likes

Almost certainly. But the server forums are not going to the sole source of communication on the server.

1 Like

Not true, anyone who breaks what I personally think the loot rules should be, but never thought to tell you those loot rules when I made my group, is a ninja and should be banned and black-listed. I’m only running with people who have psychic powers and can read minds.

2 Likes

Yes. As that’s the forums policies.

But since pretty much every server is going to end up with a Discord (or factional Discords) the call-outs can be done externally.

4 Likes

In my experience, it will likely be less Twitter, more Tumblr. Screenshots and arguments about Trolls and drama seem to pop up on tumblr.

While WoW’s forum policies prevent “calling people out.” Someone will inevitably make a tumblr where people can post anonymously with screenshots, calling a person out.

Judging by blizzards attitude they are very much in favour of the community self policing. Which is largely how classic went.

I mean on the on hand things like master loot and need/greed exist… but as far as I am aware they don’t extend to things like corehound leather/pristine hides, then again if you are the only skiner in the pug do you get the leather?

You skin it, it’s yours. The only exception I would even remotely consider is ONY hide, and thats purely because its a requirement for raid progression.

1 Like

The real question is in what circumstances they will choose to enforce them. Just because it’s against the rules does not mean they will choose to do anything about it or that they will interfere with the community policing itself.

All credibility gone right out the window.

And you’re asking if doxxing is okay. And it is not.

Calling out a player character for in-game behaviour is hardly ‘doxxing’

10 Likes

True, but it is still against the forum and chat rules, and has been since vanilla.

I would love to see proof for that majordomo chest and the master loot thing cause I couldn’t find it.

Also don’t be dumb and ninjas shouldn’t be able to do anything, unless they are the leader of the group.