High end PC, terrible fps.... whats going on?

All the draw are on a single core. If the core that the draw calls are being done on spikes to 100% and the CPU usage drops. Means the CPU cannot keep up with the draw calls

Speed step is an overclock it’s just an AI controlled overclock. Anything above base speed on a CPU is in overclock. Increasing me clock rate of the CPU based on the number of cores that are active based on temperature. By lowering the number of cores speed step will increase the clock rate higher it’s just the fact.

You’re embarrassing yourself. Speedstep is all about reducing cpu clockspeeds when it’s not needed.

Both Intel and AMD are running their CPUs pretty much at the edge of what’s possible. There’s almost no benefit to overclocking. Intel’s Boost/Turbo is NOT overlocking. Hell, undervolting is the new hotness.

All core workloads on the 12-900k should hit 4.9ghz and change. WoW isn’t well threaded, honestly it’s an unoptimized mess, so you’d expect 5.2ghz on the few cores it’s going to use.

With the insane possible powerdraw on the 12/13/14th gen i9 CPUs, higher clocks are all about being able to pull the heat out to avoid thermal throttling. But that’s more to worry about if you’re using your CPU for all core Blender…

You have no idea how speed step works. If you are getting anywhere near thermal throttle you do not have the proper cooling solution.

You will never see anywhere near what Intel or AMD claim is there top speed . IE up to. Let me guess you are just reading the brochure and do not actually own a I-9. Before i permanently OC my I-9 it would either not really speed step for wow or the CPU clock rate would jump all over the place causing wow to be choppy. Now wow plays fine on it. FYI i now play on my i-7 or my Ryzen because it just plays wow smother. And i leave the I-9 for what i got it for video and music processing and compiling code for work.

Odd claim, everyones milage will differ depending on their own hardware. I have a 7700x, which is “boost clocks of up to 5.4GHz” and i do infact see boost clocks of 5.4GHz out of box. With PBO ive seen higher in WoW.

This green poster is clueless, so it makes sense why Blizzard promoted him…

1 Like

What Does Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology Mean?

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST) is a power and thermal management technology developed by Intel. EIST was introduced as a means of enabling high performance while meeting the power-saving needs of a mobile computer system.

Essentially, EIST throttles the clock speed of a central processing unit (CPU) during periods requiring minimal demand. It then brings the clock speed back up to its maximum potential when demanded by the load . This allows a computer to save power when there is less to process, yet still achieve high performance when the demand is high.

Would you like to change you statement?

There’s almost no headroom to OC any of the recent generations of intel (or AMD for that matter), they are already running at the ragged edge and the best cpu dies are being used for the higher end SKUs. So I’m kind of curious at how you’re overclocking a 12/13/14th gen i9. And what power limits you are using. And what cooling.

Also love to see you point out any reviews that show the i9 of the same gen being slower in games than an i7 or i5.

As for performance in WoW, it only uses 2 cores. I’d expect cpus to hit their max boost unless they are thermal throttling.

I would check the Max Foreground FPS Toggle in wow options and makes sure it unticked as it defaults to 0.

I limit max fps, there is really no need to run at 120 fps if the monitor can’t present that much, in practice if u let wow run at 200 fps and the monitor can present at 100 Hz, your are generating twice the needed, that’s why they created v-sync and some other sync related stuff.
There are some stuff that when u render a bit more than the monitor frequency that do improve the actual presented image, but that is overkill when we are talking about 100+.

dude for christ, again, stop spreading lies and go do some reading:
community * intel * com/t5/Processors/12900K-Max-Turbo-Boost-3-0/td-p/1371524

replace * for a dot on both, forum doesn’t lemme add links

The described behavior written by Alberto_R_Intel is the precise behavior of ANY Intel processor that has Turbo Boost 3.0 at default it will run ONE core at MAX SPEED(or two in some cases) for 12900k being 5.20 GHz and ALL OTHER CORES, READ TWICE PLZ, ALL OTHER CORES at the other turbo state which is 5.1GHz.
Some people say a few cores, cause they keep HT active, so in certain places it will show '2 threads at 5.2(or 4, that being 2 threads = 1 core), when that actually is just ONE core( or 2).
But the main point is, it does run at least around the 4.7 to 5GHz in ALL cores since about gen 7 if my memory isn’t failing.
My 9900KS came default with all up to 4.9 or 5.GHz can’t really remember, running all cores at 5.2GHz(undervolted) now better than when i bought it at around 70ºC on high loads.

Not entirely true. Higher FPS still reduces input lag.

Is there actually thermal paste? Is the cooler making contact?

Hey all,

I’m going to close this thread, as the original poster Lawyr solved their issue. They figured out it was overheating due to a defective CPU cooler.

If anyone else needs help please feel free to start a new thread.

3 Likes