High end PC, terrible fps.... whats going on?

Go to graphics settings in windows and disable optimizations for windows games, it will force you to disable auto hdr too. The flip presentation model is known to cause fps issues in wow

Actually that is incorrect especially it is not overclocked. HIs I-9 has about 4000 single thread. Same generation i7 has 4100 single thread both these where done with a 4.5 Gh OC. To play wow at 4k at ultra settings it’s going to need a serious over clock. I own a 13 generation I9 I use for video processing. Also own several I7 an I 5 laptop along with 3 current generation Ryzen CPUs

1 Like

That actually only affects Windows games HDR is off by default

Well, its DEFINITELY something funky going on with the CPU. It got worse actually, now ALL the cores, Performance, and efficiency are hitting 100’C + within 2 mins of boot up.

What sucks is that after those 2 mins, the thermal throttling gets so freaking bad that the base clock goes to 400, making it practically unusable.

I have a new liquid cooler coming in tomorrow. Will see if that makes any difference. Frankly, I feel it’s the CPU dying or something with the motherboard.

I do see a red light for the CPU on the motherboard during the boot process.

Did plug the CPU correctly several times.

Btw its iBUYPOWER LIAN LI LANCOOL ONE RGB, @Ragman.

Depends on the charts your pulling numbers from, 4179 S.T if we go by the same version of the I7 4038 and the I5 thats 3943 in the same generation. I mean I didnt even bother throwing in the “I5” 12400 and its awesome 3500 lol. AMD is no different with his CPU being ahead of 3600 2559 score up to the 5900x score of 3470… Not to mention its right there with the 7700x in the current generation.

In the end your the one making it sounds like his CPU is no better then an “I5” 6500 or something lol.

CPU is probably fine, sounds like the Liquid Cooler failed, is making faulty contact, missing or poorly spread paste, or in some cases they forgot the plastic. Which I heard happens a lot for Ibuys.

Not that I want you to run the system with 100 for the temps, but a cool way to tell if the pump itself failed is if you grab the 2 hoses in your hand and see if theres vibration, which is water moving through the hoses. It means the pump didnt die, but doesnt rule out that corrosion or blockage isnt messing with the water flow.

Good luck with the new install, plug it up, remove the plastic, check for past or apply your own, equal turns going from corner to corner in a diagonal manner making sure your dont over tighten. An let us know if we can uncross our fingers :slight_smile:

It’s the flip presentation model that causes the issue, look it up.

In all honesty a I 9 is a bad choice for wow. An i5 and i7 any of the k models. Can be overclocked significantly higher than in I-9. And because of wow is basically a single core game. The better the single core performance and the higher you can clock it. The better it is going to perform in wow. I can run my i7 at nearly six gigahertz. My I-9 without turning off cores. 4.5 GHz is as far as I feel safe overclocking it. Speed step will also increase a lower core count CPU significantly higher the a high core count cou

1 Like

Unless you disable cores. Speed step will only drive in I-9 to somewhere around 4.2. an i7 or an I-5 of near current generation. Speed step can push it over for 5K… without any kind of overclock on I9 you can expect mediocre performance at 4K. The performance the OP is getting is what I would expect from un overclocked I9

Some things the op can do to make it run wow better. If he does not want to play with an overclock. Go in to the BIOS and disable half the cores. With half the cores disabled speed step will clock the CPU up significantly more

If my current i9 doesn’t work out and needs replacing, I may buy a new processor and motherboard. Do you recommend Ryzen 7 7800 x3D for wow? I mostly only play WOW as a game on this PC.

My concern is that i9 = 8 P and 8 E (16 in higher-end models) cores while Ryzen is only 8 plain.

7800 x3d is great for WoW. stay away from amd 7 series gpu though or you will have crashes in DX 12

1 Like

My 3080 is still fully functional. I intend to only replace the motherboard, CPU, and maybe RAM.

Do Ryzen 7800 x3d and 3080 behave being together or do they have issues calling the same board their mother?

All the reviews and the test the CPU seems to be a great gaming CPU.

Before you go out and buy another CPU though. I’m going to the BIOS if you’re current motherboard and disabled every other core. . And see what kind of performance increase you get

1 Like

Dude, plz stop saying things you have no clue about jeez christ.
The I9 he has is a baseline 3.2 up to 5.2 Turbo Boost, remember, Turbo Boost IS NOT OC and is active by default, i9 will never be worst than i5 or i7, NEVER, I have a i9 9900KS and have been using it since it was launched, WoW rarely needs more than 70% of a single core in my case.
From Intel about this proc:
Processor Number
i9-12900KF
Lithography
Intel 7
Use Conditions
PC/Client/Tablet

CPU Specifications

Total Cores

of Performance-cores

of Efficient-cores

Total Threads
Max Turbo Frequency
5.20 GHz
Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency
5.20 GHz
Performance-core Max Turbo Frequency
5.10 GHz
Efficient-core Max Turbo Frequency
3.90 GHz
Performance-core Base Frequency
3.20 GHz
Efficient-core Base Frequency
2.40 GHz
Cache
30 MB Intel® Smart Cache
Total L2 Cache
14 MB
Processor Base Power
125 W
Maximum Turbo Power
241 W

As the setup, that ram size feels weird, where are you reading it from? 48 if this is correct = either 16+16+8+8 OR 32+16, i’m not 100% sure, but if it’s on DDR4 it may be correct, but in DDR5 i’m not sure if exists a 8GB ram stick, if the setup is a 32+16 then it won’t go dual channel.

The problem here is you are hitting thermal temps, which forces the processor to drop the clock to bare minimal around 2GHz, once it goes down to the 90ºC it goes back up to 3.2~4GHz but it won’t ever reach turbo boost speeds above that, cause it would go past 110ºC and insta burn, turbo speeds use nearly twice the power, therefore nearly twice the heat output.
No processor should ever be used above 80ºC continuously, NEVER, it will burn the thermal paste and after a few months, degrade and go close to 100ºC.
For this kind of proc you need to be sure that:
You have a 360mm(120+120+120) water cooler at least, a 480 would be better, I got a Corsair H150, it can handle the temp just fine, most of the time even with all cores at max turbo it rarely goes above 75~80ºC.
The cooler setup must be for air INTAKE, remember, the lower the temp of the air hitting the cooler, higher the differential, therefore more heat is transferred out of the cooler, if the air is setup to in>out the air temperature passing in the cooler will be at least around 40ºC, if it is setup for intake it will be the room temperature, this impacts directly the processor temperature.
Roughly the water temp will be 10~20ºC above air temp and processor will be 20ºC above the water temp if being used at max, if at idle, processor temp shouldn’t be 20ºC above room temp.

With suchs temps not only is your processor overheating, you likely have also your VRM overheating too, cause it’s close to the processor and the motherboard spreads the heat, therefore the whole motherboard is likely running around the 47~55ºC, the VRM is likely hitting 75ºC and your m.2 is likely hitting the 80ºC, so you are basically burning your machine to the ground, and will most likely fry up in a year or 2.

BTW, almost forgot, if you have or get a 360 or 480 water cooler, pick extra coolers for the other side, so u can keep higher air flow with a more silent setup, also it is good to have at least 1 frontal cooler as intake too, this forces the air to go out in the back(or the sides if it is an open system), avoiding dust to go in, WITH air filters preferred.

To check if you are hitting any kind of thermal you can install “Intel extreme tuning utility” and just open it up(don’t run or change anything, just open).
In the lower are there are 3 things that u need:
“Thermal Throttling”, “Power limit throttling” and “Current/EDP Limit Throttling”
If any of these is going red, then you have something likely overheating or not being able to provide power(due to cable issues for instance) but after seeing your temps this last scenario isn’t the case.

“Power limit throttling” is usually caused by VRM overheating which forces the VRM to lower the power supplied, but is also usually caused by a chain that starts in bad cooling for the processor(accumulating high temps in the motherboard).

1 Like

There’s definitely something off here. I’m running a 12900k and a 3080ti, and I’m getting SIGNIFICANTLY higher framerates than the OP. 120+ in most places, the only time I’ve ever dropped under 60 is Valdrakken when it’s very crowded, and in a superbloom once. The lowest framerate I’ve ever observed is 52. I’m running a high end liquid cooler and have never observed a CPU temp above 65C. Also running very aggressive fan profiles on my GPU and even in the emerald dream at all 10 settings I’ve never seen a GPU temp above 65C.

Also, resolution has nothing to do with the CPU, that’s entirely on the GPU, and even a 3080 can max WOW in 4k as it’s not a GPU intensive game.

My LAPTOP, which has a 12700H and a mobile 3060, can run this game on all 10 settings with better framerates than the OP is getting. I would look toward either overheating or something like Geforce Experience “optimizing” settings.

3 Likes

Thanks all for the information…

About RAM, yeah it’s 16+16+8+8…I had 2x8 Gig sticks lying around, thought I’d throw them in. Reverted to 16+16 for now.

Also, after much delay from Amazon, I’m getting a 360mm cooler today. I’ll plug it in and see how it works out with the CPU temps.

Update:

So it was indeed a defective cooler. The new cooler is mounted and I am getting 100 fps on 1440 at 10/10 setting!

CPU temp at all that is hovering around 36’C

Thanks to all of you for your valuable time and suggestions!

5 Likes

What’s causing lower FPS when your GPU is at 40%?

The amount it will speed step is based on the number of active cores. And no it will not boost all the way up to 5.2. I own one 4.2 is about where it tops out. It also works on perceived load if you have a 16 core CPU and two or 3 cores are being used there is no perceived load on the CPU. This is one of the reasons why most people that buy I9 overclock them for gaming. Speed step is Not a reliable way to increase performance in gaming. It generally works fine on the lower core count CPUs. But if you have a 16 core CPU and it’s only using three cores. It sees it as no load on the. CPU.