High end PC, terrible fps.... whats going on?

Hi Team,

I am having some strange issues with my PC (WoW to be specific)…

My PC specs may not be the best but definately enough to surpass 30-40 fps in crowded cities, 70-80 in 5 mans on “7/10” global setting on WoW…not even ultra.

• Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-12900KF (24 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
  • Memory: 49152MB RAM
  • MSI 3080 RTX
  • Internet - 1Gig
  • WoW on M.2 Drive for faster read/ write

I installed the latest drivers

DxDiag in the link below:

Would truly appreciate it if someone could shed some light on what is going on here… or offer suggestions on improving the current crappy fps…

1 Like

How much of a over clock do you have on your CPU? Also what resolution are you playing at? looks like you have 3 or 4 displays connected

2 Likes

Thanks for your response.

No overclocks, rather afraid to do that. But an i9 shouldn’t need an OC to run wow beyond 40 fps in Valdrakken, no?

4 Displays connected.
Primary Monitor - 3440 x 1440
Monitor 2 and 3 - 1080p
4rth Monitor - 3440 x 1440

WoW is primarily played on the Primary monitor (3440 x 1440) that is 120Hz capable.

I did a test where I unplugged the other 3 monitors to see a performance improvement but I was still left disappointed.

Actually 20 fps in Vald :sweat_smile: :laughing: :grin:

screenshot below:

What kind of power supply do you have? What is the wattage? Is this a prebuilt like Omen or is it something you built? did you select which card you are using (intel has a gpu as well)? is your GPU fully powered? Check the cables. How big is your monitor?

If you have a monitor bigger than 27inch that might be your issue since your playing 1440p.-

1 Like

unfortunately a I-9 is not the greatest CPU for wow . wow uses 1 core to about 100 percent then a few others to a minor degree. that is why a higher clock rate CPU like a I-5, I7, or Ryzen will out preform a I-9 in wow

3 Likes

yea, you are 100% right, it is probably a few things… Too many monitors, too big of a monitor with only 12 gigs of ram running multiple monitors. Plus add ons can all take a toll.

1 Like

Make sure your addons are up to date that would be a start. Out of date addons can cause FPS issues.

1 Like

It’s a pre-built PC, “iBuyPower”.
PC power supply, I believe is 850 watts

Monitor is 34" Ultrawide 1440p

I have forced windows to use the card in graphics settings for WoW.

Thats what I am going to do next, do a deep cleaning and re-seating cables just in case.

Could it be due to a thermal paste drying up? Thats also one of the things I will re-new.

So I did a test where I disconnected all other monitors from power, with only the 34" monitor running WoW. No improvement.

Also, my RAM is like 48 GB

Thanks for the suggestion, I disabled all the addons as a test right now. Saw ~ 5 fps increase only.

Its something deep, perhaps a dying card or CPU? or even the M2 drive.

Orderd a new drive, will check on that.

Two easy oversights

• Your army of monitors, make sure the monitor you play WoW on is connected to your GPU’s ports, not your motherboard’s ports.
  • in-game, the bottom half of the Graphics settings; make sure the Graphics API is set to DirectX 12. 11 and Legacy will have garbage FPS on the best of systems.
1 Like

Thanks for your response.

I disconnected two monitors, disabled addons, operating on Direct X 12, yet I don’t see a performance difference.

As you can see in the screenshot the fps is still below 30 in Vald on a 7/10 setting

And strangely enough, there are no spikes in CPU, or GPU utilization. In fact GPU temp is only 60’C, which seems a bit off.

Im going to clean up the hardware over the weekend, install a new M.2 drive, and re-seat cables. apply thermal paste (even though I don’t think overheating is playing a part here). And if nothing works, utilize that warranty plan.

Thanks!

Just got a new reading, probably alarming lol…

Is this bad? Looks like it…

Idle CPU temp, no load.

So a couple of things that I see.

The performance meter shows that the CPU is only at 2.01 Ghz, and the base is 3.2. I’m wondering if the computer is in a balanced performance power plan, not a high performance one.

Also, 48GB is a weird level of RAM. It may be DDR5, which allows for 24GB DIMMS. However, that newness may also bring some weirdness.
If using DDR4, then you’d have a pair of 16GB and a pair of 8GB, and the mismatch could cause performance issues.

Check the BIOS for updates, and check the power states for the CPU in the BIOS as well.

Also, if those temps are accurate, then the CPU may just be throttling.

At this point, I’d definitely look at warranty service.

3 Likes

I read somewhere…
DDR5 motherboard has two DDR5 and two DDR4 slots…
Is that the case here?

Edit…
Your i9-12900KF (24 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)
128 GB
Memory Types

Up to DDR5 4800 MT/s
Up to DDR4 3200 MT/s

Max # of Memory Channels 2
Max Memory Bandwidth 76.8 GB/s

inquired with the support team they also were surprised with the CPU temps.

Going to clean up and re thermal paste the CPU in hopes that the idle / gaming temp comes down.

Will post updates after clean up. This may help someone in a similar situation.

1 Like

Sounds like the cooler to the cpu is not seated correctly or still has the plastic wrap on it heat spreader.

I would talk to the people you brought your pc from and mention that your getting 96c at idle.

1 Like

When I build my last computer.
I plugged the cpu fan into the wrong connector on the motherboard.
Fans went wild when I turned on the PC…
Off real fast… Checked book…
Plugged in correct one… Whoo that was close.

1 Like

Take whatever that greenie said and just forget you ever read it unless you want a good laugh. The CPU has more then enough Single and Multi to handle Wow.

Anyways, 12900KF brings with it about 241 watts at max, which means you need a case with adequate airflow and a beefy cooler to handle the heat its putting out otherwise your just thermal throttling yourself.

So curious what case ( or Ibuypower model) along with cooler are you running

1 Like