High Elf Allied Race Megathread (Continuation)

Fine by me.

Edit: You are under the impression that I am making claims when I am not. I wanted to discuss the fact that their models and recent art has shown them without a glow, and what effect magic would or wouldn’t have had on them.

I never said that they’ve never been depicted with glowing eyes in anything, and you are correct that they can be pretty inconsistent. But the current model and recent art has them not glowing so it made me curious about the implications of that and just how much magic effects their eyes if that is the case.

1 Like

That just means they create everything else. It does not mean when you take light, and add it to arcane, you suddenly get light out of the two. That is just your interpretation which holds no support.
The lore states the sunwell is arcane and light. So, it is arcane and light.

3 Likes

I honestly didn’t expect this thread to come back and stay. Let’s hope it stays this way

5 Likes

Fel by it’s very nature is very corruptive and is Disorder. So that’s blantently false.

So Light and Shadow consume other magics except when they don’t then?

1 Like

I’m just gonna leave this here, since it appears to be the prime offensive to the ideal :arrow_right: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/why-high-elves-dont-work-a-primer/245034

I’d just honestly like to see an event incur that allows Void Elves to switch out between High Elves & their Void-Appearance, like Worgens do between Wolf & Human (Apart from the combat thing disallowing it) considering Alleria can do it - Why not others?
And allow Blood Elves to simply customise the appearance should they choose.
Have this achieved through a questline on each race, and that way it’s not a ‘New Race’ but merely a ‘New Feature’ – Alliance get a win, Horde get a win, Ion gets a win by keeping his word saying they won’t add them as a new entire race, everybody wins.

Except thats now how the Void Elves are. They almost became like ethereals. Their look is how it is because of how corrupted by the Void they are. Alleria came into her being doing a totally different method to harness the Void. Also, if you were to add the light skin customization to the Void Elves thats still in a way adding light skinned elves to the Alliance which is what the anti side doesnt want. Might as well just go the whole mile and do High Elves.

Blood Elves will never have the Void customization. They dont want any Void Elves near the Sunwell in fear of corruption.

No one gets a win with just adding customization for all Elves. You cant look at this as Alliance and Horde because theres supporters and haters on both factions for High Elves. All you get it one side upset or the other and will continue to see threads pop up.

Also Ion never said they wont add them.

12 Likes

Ion said nothing but a platitude and the reason that development denied them is because high elves are already playable and a hign elf variant already exists. and that reason isnt going away. What isnt playable, and almost certainly never going to happen, is playable alliance high elves

I like putting words in a devs mouth. Its a platitude!

Then theres no reason to sit around arguing is there?

4 Likes

I don’t see the problem… Its not really lazy. It’s already built into the dynamics of the faction conflict. Would give an opportunity to Give some more spotlight to the blood elves, with some of BFA’s story… besides Lor’themar being included in the Nazjatar conflict… where have they been?? Especially if we come a head with Sylvanas being a baddie?

Where some players see a problem others don’t. Having more elves, or another flavor of a thalassian elf isn’t going to be game breaking. It’s what some people want to see.

I don’t think this is where us people that want High Elves would like Blizzard to take the Thalassian story. The appearance of them doesn’t even matter, so having Void Elves look like High Elves doesn’t achieve what we want.

5 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/8f55hj/ion_on_high_elves_as_an_allied_race/

He stated anythings possible in the future, but plainly put a Nope plug on the subject at hand.

1 Like

“Anything is possible in the future.” is what he said. He never put a “Nope plug on the subject at hand.”. If he and the people working at Blizzard were against us talking about High Elves, they would have done something about it by now.

10 Likes

Here’s the thing if they give Void elves a pale skin “solution”

They would have to go and create a possible scenario to explain why they got to pick through that customization. Or if pale skin/ non void appearance was the out of combat default it wouldn’t be right for those whom enjoy the constant void appearance. It would be a whole set of customizations for one AR race while the other new ARs wouldn’t get anything. Or others would view it as blizz being wrong on Void elves.

The only issue I have with Void elves is that we didn’t get to work with them and gain their rep… if they would have had us working with them on Argus along with Alleria, then it would have been more organic. Only choice from here on out would be to expand on their story.

3 Likes

In that regard then, Alliance should just never get High Elves because they’re already with the Horde. As for the Argument:
"High Elves are different enough from Blood Elves!"

We see this one a lot, but no. Sorry. They aren’t. The High Elves went through no mutation, no physical change, no evolution or otherwise genetic alteration after Quel’thalas was sacked by Arthas and the scourge. Kael’thas renamed the High Elven people Blood Elves in memory and honor of their fallen, and for no other reason. It’s been only 30 or less years since Kael’thas renamed his people Blood Elves. They are racially, genetically, identical. While people love to think of High Elves as “pure” or Blood Elves as “tainted”, which are both untrue, given the recent golden eyes of the Blood Elves, it doesn’t appear that tapping demons’ magic to sate the elves’ magical addiction did anything cosmetically permanent. Blood/High Elves that succumbed to their hunger became Wretched. Blood Elves that overindulged in fel became Felblood Elves.

If however, they did make factions more liquid - Or even more complicated (Civil Wars within the factions due X events & decisions that splits them and makes a bit of a strange mixture of different Alliances) I could see just making Blood Elves a neutral race and having the ones on the Alliance side a mixture of Blood Elves, Silver Covenant and the others who were just predominately neutral (Within Kirin Tor, exploring the World or drinking tea with Blue/Azure dragons) wanting to help their united peoples and fight for what they believe in.

If they did this, then yes I would like to see the High-Elf customisation features, and lore build up, + other vast majority of ideas mentioned in the core of this thread.

2 Likes

Their political difference is the biggest difference that matters.

You could still make High Elves look different from Blood Elves though.
Change their idle stance and animations. Even when armored up or naked, (if they have different animations and idle stances) you could easily figure out who is a Blood Elf and who is a High Elf. You could add a very different aesthetic to their hairstyles and facial hair options too.

There is a hair colour that Blood Elves don’t seem to have anymore, so even if it’s a little change, it does mean that their genetics have been altered in a slight way.

8 Likes

I think they deserve some updates and nice touches just because, not because they need to look different.

Lets start with a better stance for the males.
Throw some wicked tats on them.
New hairstyles for sure.
Get rid of the male duck lips.
Better animations.

6 Likes

Highvale Elves are part of the Alliance:

The Highvale Documents quest:

The Highvale have kept detailed records here for years. Deaths, births, seasons… but also vital scouting information and methods of contact with the rest of the Alliance.

Simple grammar analysis:

“The Highvale” is the subject, and the rest is the predicate. If the Highvale have kept methods of contact with the rest of the Alliance, it means the Highvale are a part of the Alliance. If they weren’t, this should read “methods of contact with the Alliance”.

They’re also faction tagged as Alliance, and are hostile to Horde players. Horde players questing there are told to kill those High Elves precisely to interrupt their communication lines with the Alliance.

The main quest in Quel’Danil Lodge involves Highvale elves fighting together with other Alliance races against the Forsaken, a Horde race.

If they were supposed to be neutral, Blizz is doing a terrible job.

14 Likes

he didnt have to

also after BFA ARs are going to be rare and only added when they make sense. so things like new races we come across in the future. they dont want them to become an expected thing like every patch. the chances of them wasting this spot on something already playable and that has its own variant becomes even less likely