High CPU usage recently

For some odd reason, ever since Tuesday I’ve had a big noticeable increase in my CPU at random moments. I can be either idle, or fighting, or anything else and it will happen every 5/10 so minutes for about 30 seconds. The game has never taken up so much before but it is now. Doesn’t happen in any of my other games except WoW.

Has anyone else been having this problem?

4 Likes

I’d double check your settings. Patches and even driver updates can put me back at an “optimal” setting that isn’t sustainable on my cpu

Currently I’m seeing the same thing even after updating all my drivers and disabling all addons, will happen at random any where from 30 seconds to a minute

2 Likes

I’m definitely noticing the same since Tuesday. I thought it was just my computer.

2 Likes

Ok, well I’m glad I’m not the only one and just going crazy.
My game driver is definitely not out of date and I have disabled any of my addons that are old or not updated, even any up-to-date addons that would use up CPU (TSM etc.), and I still get the CPU spikes. Graphics and game settings have not changed either and have read them over several times.
Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon.

2 Likes

i am experiencing the same, from time to time the cpu usage ramps up, fps drops and all lags

2 Likes

Ive noticed the same but only after a friend asked me if i have it. Took a closer look while playing with Task Manager open and there it was.

I thought it had something to do with layers loading to some cross-realm locations but my CPU usages goes from 10% to 30% and stays there for half a minute only for WoW. GPU is not affected nor disc/network utilization.

No changes was done to the game settings nor system.

Done some testing

Game repair showed nothing

Its not addons cos ive got it with all addons disabled

It affect only WoW cos ive run Path of Exile and WoW at the same time and CPU usage in PoE was just fine during a spike in WoW.

Since my background fps set to minimum when i switch focus from WoW it usually goes to 3% CPU and GPU usage. But during spike it stays at 25% CPU and 3% GPU no matter what.

If you manage to log out during it CPU usage stays the same so its not an interface problem.

Honestly i would not even notice it ever if not for a friend who has laptop and started getting freezes just when we were about to play together this weekend.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have noticed the same thing the only game I’m getting this with is WoW, I have even done a fresh install of the game with no addons and left the settings at default and still get a jump on the CPU at random to about 30% for about 30 seconds.

2 Likes

Glad its not just me having this problem. Its almost like the game go’s into a stutter, and clears after a few seconds, but during that time I have no control. I have done a clean install on a blank SSD hoping that would fix it. Has anyone found a resolution, or ideas on how to fix it?

3 Likes

Same thing’s happening to me. Only just began last Tuesday. First time I’ve ever experienced temp spikes while the game, and they seem completely random.

2 Likes

Bump for attention

2 Likes

I have been getting total game crashes 30 sec to a minute after loading into the game. Was running fine a couple weeks ago when I was last on, sure hope it gets fixed as well. I would like to get a handle on my class changes before opening day fo SL.

1 Like

I am also having this issue. It started very recently, about a week ago. My CPU will normally sit at around 5% usage typically when I’m not doing much, but randomly will spike up to 8-10% for a while then go back down. Whenever this happens, the game stutters for me. At first I thought this was a driver issue as I was still using older NVidia drivers, but updating them did not affect it. I tested this with and without addons, but the only difference I’ve noticed is it happens more frequently with addons running.

I’m on Windows 10 2004 using a Ryzen 3900X 12 core processor in case that’s relevant to the issue.

3 Likes

Are you guys using slideshow wallpapers for your desktops? (can’t remember the actual name of it) I’ve heard of a lot of people having hitches when using them.

Like 99.999% of game engines out there, WoW is mostly single core. And by that, I mean the core game thread runs on one core. Anything that gets offloaded to other cores is usually an async task.

I’m not using any animated wallpapers. This issue began very recently, this month.

2 Likes

So everyone in the post have not provided the CPU’s they are using. I do also think some of this has to do with the Layering VooDoo Shuffle but I have no proof.

Yeah, same thing here, sometimes it happens after completing a World Quest (like that 8.3 bug), but its completely random as I’ve experienced it during a dungeon run and killing rares too. If it did not happen during a dungeon I’d say it would be the shards/layers.

1 Like

I have an i7-7700, but I also am using VuhDoo as mentioned so idk, maybe something with it.

I’m running an i7-8700 no VuhDoo, I have also noticed that I will still get the CPU spike when sitting in the character select screen

2 Likes

I am having the same problem but I feel like it is the app that is causing the issue.

Nope you guys are right it is the game - close off my app and I have the same random spikes in CPU usage.

2 Likes