High CPU usage recently

Well Microsoft has been pushing out the 20H2 update to more people lately. I just got upgraded to it the other day. Might be tied to that?

There are a ton of other potential background apps that can cause issues. From sound card drivers to the TSM client app to addon programs, like overwolf or w/e it’s called, to discord to chrome tabs. The only true way to rule your OS out is the do a selective start up and make sure every single non-vital app is closed. In your task manager, you have three sections: Apps, background processes and windows processes.

I’m going to bet money that you’ve either got a bad addon or a bad app running.

Oh and also, the menu screen and character selection screens are extremely poorly optimized. The main login screen will roast your GPU harder than being in most towns. My old GPU was sitting at 85% usage on the menu and when I logged into Brill(lots of smokey fog effects), my usage was only 42%.

at least on my end this is not a GPU problem at all, only a CPU problem, i don’t know if they are managing the cores/threads correctly or what but its a bit troubled rn…

Well someone said something about stutter occuring because of the CPU hitch, that’s why I brought it up. The GPU can’t render a frame until the main thread of the game tells it to.

The only other thing I can think, off the top of my head, is that they are running a bunch of new, but inefficient, anti-cheat/hack loops at a low level. That or something is clashing with the Win10 control flow guard stuff.

EDIT: It doesn’t look like it uses CFG, but it uses HIGHENTROPYVA, which means it uses the ASLR features, which are for randomizing memory addresses. I don’t know if the previous version of the WoW client had it enabled though, so I can’t really compare.

1 Like

I don’t have the 20H2 update. I updated to 2004 some months ago without any issues, but I more or less don’t update to the next feature update until I have absolutely no choice, kicking and screaming all the way. As for addons I’ve tested my game client without the interface, wtf, and cache folders to rule out broken addons altogether. The only thing I can think of changing between now and when this issue began occurring is updating my GPU Driver and updating to the recent Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 (KB4586781), but those changes were made after I noticed the issue in game already (I was attempting to fix it on my end).

I can try ruling out processes and apps in the background, but I’m already thinking this may be something on Blizzard’s end. I’m using a Ryzen 3900x as I’ve stated in my first reply to this thread, which doesn’t even max out in a single core for WoW alone except when this issue pops up.

I have checked task manager when it does it and it is battle net.

So you would lose your bet.

Also it started sometimes after they announced the changes to that multi boxing software so I wander if they aren’t running some sort of scan program and they need to throttle that back.

Dude you don’t know the issue I am having. My fans on my PC are just roaring because of this. As soon as I close out the game and battlenet it stops every single time.

Also why the heck are you trolling a tech support thread.

1 Like

Nah, plenty of people have had this issue and have closed out of all bnet processes, the issue will still persist. You can launch wow.exe from the folder, without using bnet. It doesn’t eat that much CPU when it does cause a tiny spike.

1 Like

WoW will do that. Throttle your FPS and it will drop the load. Cap to 60 and see if it still does that. Lots of idiots run uncapped at 4k and of course goldshire is going to melt your system when it’s trying to run at 130fps, with those kinds of settings.

My FPS are throttled and has already been.

What settings are you running WoW at and let’s see your DXDIAG report and we’ll see. If your sliders are set too high, for a few key graphics settings, they will roast your PC even at 60fps (ultra shadows/particles/SSAO or any ray tracing), excessive AA, etc etc, if your specs aren’t up to par.

Also, are you running any VPNs? Those can sometimes cause issues.

I shouldn’t have called you a troll, however, you are really annoying me.

You are treating me like I can’t tell what is new and what isn’t. This is new behavior and it is related to WoW because I have done simple things like check task manager to see what is causing all the noise.

1 Like

I’m not saying that. Changes have been made to WoW with this newer version of the engine. I think most of the issues are API issues between the WoW render thread and Win10 DX12. There might also be something going on with the anti-cheat stuff I talked about earlier too.

As for the task manager, you have to remember that it’s not updating on a very high interval. Even with the interval set to high, it’s like two updates per second. The spikes you’re seeing might only be lasting for 10ms at a time, but happen to align with the refresh rate of the task manager. Not 100% sure how it handles each tick, but I doubt it’s keeping a running average of what’s going on during that half second interval, to produce an average per tick. Basically, you need a much much higher polling rate to truly see what’s going on, but that would place a high load on the CPU, so it’s a catch 22.

This is what I think it is and they just need to throttle it down so it isn’t noticeable. They aren’t going to catch anyone if people can tell when they are scanning.

The fans are roaring more than 10ms. I haven’t timed it but it is long enough to attract my attention and heat up my pc.

Contrary to what the people that don’t know what they are talking about claim: WoW is still very CPU bound. If you have four cores and look at your CPU usage while playing WoW, if you see your total utilization anywhere near a constant 25%, that means it’s capping out your single thread limits usually. Those same people will then say that’s not the case because they look at the graphs for all cores and see that none are at 100%, but don’t know that single core code isn’t usually just attached to one core at a time, but can be executed on any core. The windows scheduler throws threads all over the place, even if they are single core tasks.

So let me ask you this: While you’re playing, what is your total CPU usage at and what processor do you have?

This is normal usage - no noise right now.

I got a minor spike in the second screenshot but nothing compared to what happens when it really gets going.

Looks more like you’ve got something going on with your background processes then. Ignoring the usage from the task manager, snipping tool and wow, in the first screenshot, you’ve got ~11% unaccounted for. In the second screen shot, it’s ~9%. WoW spiking up to 15% is nothing. That can just be from 10 players loading in around you.

Might want to sort by usage and see if anything windows related is to blame like the antivirus or something.

2 wow - 4.1% x 2 = 8.2 % so there is no 11% unaccounted for. There are no players loading around me either.

And I am done with this conversation.

I am not sure why you are answering questions in this section of the forum.

It clumps them together, click the button to expand it and it shows what each sub process is using. They add to that total amount. So in your case, wow and the voice proxy will add to 4.1%. Also, assets stream constantly. Some things that haven’t been seen for a while will be removed, and some new things will be preloaded. I think the engine loads other player assets if they are within a few hundred yards, hence why Legion Dalaran was such a load screen nightmare, because every player there was within range of that.

Here’s a frame test I ran on this POS laptop: ~https://imgur.com/a/QgMge8F

I don’t see anything weird going on at fixed intervals. I frame cap to 30fps btw and the settings are a mix of fair to good. All addons disabled. Not seeing any real spikes from cheat detection.

I remember when I had an older i5 4570k processor, the Battlenet App hanging in the background would cause frame rate issues in WoW, especially if it was on the front page with the embed videos and other windows displayed for each game. Turning it off, or swapping to the Social tab would stop the FPS drops in WoW.

However, since upgrading my PC with a Ryzen 3900x, the Battlenet App’s footprint has been effectively nullified and I cannot notice a difference. Though, to be sure it wasn’t the app causing the CPU spikes in WoW, I’ve closed and exited the App completely after logging in to rule it out, the CPU spikes continue.

Now that I have some time, I’m going to try playing WoW after doing a clean boot to rule out as many background processes as possible.

Update: So I had a clean boot and went to play the game for a good 30+ minutes or so. For a long time I noticed there was never any issues, but then it began to happen again. The CPU would rise from 3% in WoW to 8% and then go back down over the course of 10-15 seconds. Of course, because WoW was the only program really using any CPU at the time with all my startup processes turned off, I didn’t notice as much stutter this time. However, once the first CPU spike happened, each CPU spike afterwards occured more frequently.

None of that has any bearing though. This is a new problem. There is a difference in the amount of resources WoW uses. Those are facts.

I am surprised you didn’t tell me to clean out my case because that would have more bearing on noisy fans than almost every single thing you brought up.

You just aren’t helpful. I hope you don’t do this for a living.

1 Like

I agree with you this is not system or OS related, I have done a fresh install of Wow and I still get the spikes if it was related to the OS or GPU the issue would more than likely be seen running other games and programs but is strictly related to WoW, nothing on my system has changed and the issue started with the update to the WoW client on the 3rd. I have no stuttering in game or lag associated in game but the only reason I notice it Is like you my fans will become louder when it happens, I have been monitoring my system since the issue came up and have watched the WoW process jump in CPU usage for about 30 seconds then drop back down to normal usage.

3 Likes