Hidden Profiles on the Forum. Why do you do it?

We are constantly dealing with “Why is your profile hidden?” “What do you have to hide?” “-this coming from someone with a hidden profile lololol” and it’s the nitpick everyone likes to go at.

I know why I do it. I’m a private guy and I don’t trust people to be looking through my stuff with “innocent” intentions. But why do you?

12 Likes

I don’t cuz I don’t care

They can look at my mounts/pets/achievements or whatever and have a laugh

30 Likes

We can still look through your stuff, it just takes a couple extra steps. The only way to really be anonymous is posting on a classic toon.

9 Likes

I do like to point that out to people. If someone wants to scan me like some kind of robot, they can work for it.

7 Likes

People wil look me up on pvp look up or here so I don’t care. I don’t have anything to hide, and I’m not posting on lvl 10s or 55 classic DKs to troll.

2 Likes

They are insecure about their progression, and don’t want people attacking their credibility.

In reality, it’s mostly just over invested toxic casual players, who aren’t good at the game after a decade of play, who want to take pot shots at higher levels of play. Outlandish claims about high level content can be imeidately dismissed if the player taking the shots doesn’t have any serious raid or M+ progression, so they want to make finding their progression as hard as possible.

5 Likes
10 Likes

A (failed) attempt to remain anonymous for terrible takes, stupidity, and intentional trolling.

4 Likes

There’s only ever one reason.

:dracthyr_comfy_sip:

3 Likes

I’m aware of people who use alts and I don’t talk on my main here personally speaking, so someone’s character isn’t entirely accurate on the forum but what even is considered High Level content to casuals?

As far as I know anything past LFR and Dungeon Finder is too much.

Because I choose to.

I don’t care about hidden profiles, I don’t click anyone’s profile. What’s strange to me is people automatically dismissing a persons opinion because they are posting on Retail or Classic picture on the forums. I have never seen people judge/dismiss you over a avatar in a video game forum. What difference does it a make, it’s a picture.

12 Likes
  1. Everyone can find your stuff just through a search. Nothing is hidden in your post history.
  2. The armory is available for all to see.

3. The ONLY reason to hide a profile is so that people can’t watch you type and make comments like, “haha I see you rage typing!” It’s creepy and obsessively weird.

17 Likes

I do it to force people who are that desparate to look me up, to work at it. It’s (also) hilarious, to me, how worked up some (not all) get over hidden profiles. What exactly are you (not you, specifically, just generally speaking) looking for?

I will say, hidden profile or not, the ignore button should be accessible.

7 Likes

Weird thing to worry about.

So I don’t pop up on the “Maizou is typing…” and then if I decide not to reply people can’t call me out about it.

Cause it was happening way too often when the new forums first opened. Lol.

It’s died down since then as it’s not a fancy new feature, but I still like not having it happen. Lol.

2 Likes

I do it entirely because it’s hilarious that people get frustrated when they try to inspect me and are too lazy to do the easy workaround to bypass it.

4 Likes

I don’t get it, do people actually do this? Is it really that bad? What’s to even be called out for it, I don’t understand.

3 Likes

Yep. Thallia above mentioned it best:

8 Likes

Oh, really? I actually wasn’t aware of that. Interesting.

2 Likes