Hey Blizzard why don’t you release the Mage Tower completion stats?

Now this I kind of agree with, what would the complainers excuses then? lol

2 Likes

Go ahead and stop me, but only after you go back and look at the marketing material.

Anyone who thought this didn’t read the announcement post. Like you, for example.

It also appears you haven’t don’t the TBC TW raid.

I’m sorry you’re not good enough to do it then.

3 Likes

^this might sound mean but it’s the truth. People seem to think that everyone should be able to complete it, it’s not meant for everyone to complete. Everyone simply isn’t a good enough player to win.

3 Likes

Well this is the thing- literally anybody /can/ do it. But they have to have the right attitude about it and accept that it’s intentionally extremely difficult and something to work hard at. This person in particular never did this challenge with their druid, so they have no basis for comparison anyway. I did, and while it is a bit harder, it’s really not by much.

1 Like

For transparency’s sake, why else? And people are already throwing tantrums so this can only do one of two things (1) proves that the tantrums are warranted or (2) shows that they weren’t.

See I keep hearing that sophomoric line “not everyone is meant to beat it” but no one actually tries to justify it. Why shouldn’t everyone be able to do it? It’s PvE content and the rewards are cosmetic so there’s no player power involved. And there’s that “challenge mode” nonsense again. Show me when did they ever say it was going to be a “challenge.” You can’t because they never did.

I did, and quite successfully too it seems since you’re just talking nonsense now instead of addressing anything I said.

1 Like

I don’t have to address nonsense spoken out of ignorance. I’ll help you anyway:

“Are you a master of your class? It’s time to put your knowledge and skill to the test once more!”

“Meaningful level of difficulty,” and “normalized”

Nothing in these described the towers being easy or easier. A lot of peeps mistake “normalized” to mean “easy” when all it means is “unable to utilize borrowed power.” All you’ve effectively said is you and a bunch of other folks made a series of baseless assumptions about the tower and somehow it’s Blizzard’s fault for providing exactly what they advertised.

You haven’t stopped me at all, just demonstrated your own ignorance and bizarre sense of entitlement as to how challenge content is tuned.

4 Likes

Here, let me show you.

“When first introduced in Legion, the Mage Tower challenged players to conquer unique solo class-specific encounters. Legion Timewalking brings back the excitement with all-new rewards to obtain, and a chance to prove your tenacity. Are you a master of your class? It’s time to put your knowledge and skill to the test once more!

See that bold part? That bold part says right there that you’ll need to know how to play your class. Many players don’t even know how to play without keyboard turning, many have no idea how to use their interrupt, many don’t know how to utilize their class to half the potential that is possible.

Mechanics are another thing. Many players aren’t capable actual boss mechanics, especially when they have to do it on their own.

If this doesn’t justify it for you then nothing will.

5 Likes

I’m now 5 out of 7 scenarios down for the mount (one of which is guardian) and I suck. I’ll admit, I may be part of the problem - I’m doing whatever I can manage to make up the gap between my skill and what the challenge requires, and maybe that’s throwing off the metrics and making Blizzard think stuff isn’t over-tuned… but I just don’t feel like I can count on Blizzard to randomly nerf stuff to a point where it’s doable by pure skill for me and… I want a book mount!

Edit - 6 out of 7, woot! Just the healing one to go.

5 Likes

Imagine giving proof as the interpretation of what blizz said :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s nothing to show because they never gave any indication that it was going to be ten times harder than it was in Legion, that’s the whole point. All they said, in literally the one official article they posted about it, was that they were bringing the Legion Mage Tower back.

What they brought back was an overtuned mess which did not take into account that this time around you have to face the challenges without any kind of borrowed powers and with no hope of ever outgearing them like you could at the end of Legion and which is when the vast majority of players did the challenges back then.

Anyone who chooses to not acknowledge these two facts, regardless of how they feel about the current version of the Mage Tower, is simply being disingenuous.

If anything, people who are completing it now should be toting their accomplishments because it’s a lot more difficult now that it was back then. Unfortunately, a lot of those folks instead choose to antagonize players who can’t complete it this time around by claiming it’s easy and telling them to “git gud.”

To reiterate, WoW is not a particularly difficult game by design. It’s not a first person shooter or a game that requires incredible levels of coordination or insane button mashing parkour skills. The difficulty here stems from improper tuning and the willful (and ignorant) removal of player power. If you can’t see why that can be incredibly frustrating then you’re just burying your head in the sand or choosing to turn a blind eye for whatever reason.

It’s a sad testament of just what kind of people are still playing the game and why so many have long since quit. The level of toxicity and elitism in WoW has been off the charts for years and it’s now finally boiling over when, to be perfectly frank, the loudest voices that remain are Blizzard apologists who are willing to overlook their glaring real life failings let alone their inability to keep making a good game or even to effectively communicate what they’re intending to do and checking first with players, i.e their consumers, to see if people are going to be okay with it. Which is exactly what they didn’t do here with their 24 hour PTR testing and zero communication.

1 Like

That depends on the content.

3 Likes

Yeaahhhh… At least for me, something like getting Gladiator is insurmountable to the point of making the Mage Tower look like LFR.

2 Likes

3 Likes

You’re really struggling on the reading comprehension aren’t you?

This isn’t what he asked for- He asked for stats from the first week of the tower, not the end-of-tower fluff piece. This is post-7.2 data, after the tower had been made significantly easier through multiple tiers of gear and higher legendary drop rates. It’s also only counting characters, and not players who completed the tower. And since many people who did one tower did others, it doesn’t actually indicate how many players did it. The number who succeeded on their first attempt is astronomically small, and I also find the
supposed average attempts to succeed highly questionable. Aside from a couple of savants/easier towers, most people were spending days if not weeks on one challenge, even in 7.2.

2 Likes

Those are literally stats they released after the first round.

Literally look at the date on the tweet :

Having something with a date makes all the difference.

With that said, this still doesn’t indicate how accessible it was. Unfortunately trying to find character population data at the time doesn’t appear to be fruitful, but I can say anecdotally that what they’re flaunting in that image was still describing a strong minority of players. And it came with the exact same complaints it has now.

World Of Warcraft Players Unhappy With Mage Tower Challenge - MMOExaminer h t t p s : / / w w w . m m o e x a m i n e r . c o m / w o r l d - w a r c r a f t - p l a y e r s - u n h a p p y - m a g e - t o w e r - c h a l l e n g e /

Less than now.

1 free attempt per day, 1k Nethershards per subsequent attempts. Was up for around a week.

1 Like

Accessible in terms of people who could manage to do it, not gain entrance. I was there for it, I know about the time and nethershard limitations.

1 Like

I was not gonna do this but seeing you using same posts i m defeated by my “urge” .
1 If you are gonna take words and then twist them to what YOU think they mean is not right dude .
2 Normalized - transitive verb. 1 : **to make (something) conform to or reduce (something) to a norm or standard
3 level of difficulty meaning - difficulty levelnoun. The relative difficulty of completing a task or objective . difficulty levelnoun. One of the difficulty settings in a video game.

Now lets butcher what the official post said
While the Challenges were considered quite difficult for most of Legion, we’re tuning the encounters in Timewalking to normalize player power, with the intention of providing a meaningful level of difficulty to current players.
Let me say exactly same thing in a different sentence
I know mohammad ali is the greatest fighter of all time but this time their are celestial powers at work and they will normalize contender power, with the intention of providing a meaningful level of difficulty to current contenders.

This should not be hard to comprehend and yet you are spreading “what you think” as “facts” .

1 Like

It is neither horribly tuned nor a buggy mess.

I think you are confusing difficult for bad tuning and bugs. That’s not the case. There are no bugs and the mage tower is intentionally difficult. The mage tower is working as intended.