Hey Blizzard, Classic Dungeons Are Fun

You mean the tank and spank mechanics?

You can be cute all you want. I’m already in a top end guild for classic. When you hit 60 I’ll have cleared MC and have BWL on farm, GL tank and spanking your way to catching up to me.

1 Like

Oh no. How will I ever live with myself?

No, I understand it perfectly.

I disagree. I despise the gogogogo mentality I see in leveling dungeons where DPS pull like kids on too much sugar, leaving the tank behind and the healer wondering where to run to. I can’t stand groups where I feel pressured not to stop and loot lest the group leave me behind, accuse me of going afk, and voting to kick me out. I don’t like how no one in those dungeons speaks to each other and how they just drop group without a word within seconds of the last boss going down.

I hate that.

I play M+ many more days than I do not, and it is nothing at all like that. It has a timer, so people who don’t like that make assumptions about who the players are and how it works.

It isn’t the same thing. It’s pretty close to the opposite, really, with the only thing similar between them being the need to move fairly quickly.

Thank you. We do. I hex things and stun things and slow things all the time. It’s exactly the CC we used in Vanilla dungeons. We even use it the same way. Mages sheep things; rogues sap things; and priests even break out shackle undead again in a way I haven’t seen since Vanilla.

True. They are parallel rather than competing forms of content. One does not negate the other.

I know. Vanilla dungeons, for the most part, were challenging and fun. I’m not one of the jerks who says Vanilla was ez mode, primitive, and unimaginative. The raid bosses in BWL were really creative and interesting. AQ was just HARD. Naxx was fun, imaginative, and super-crushing difficult.

As to the dungeons of Vanilla, some were lackluster and boring where gameplay was concerned. Others had actual mechanics to defeat with mandatory kill orders for dangerous trash, etc. Blackrock Spire was quite difficult in places with mandatory kiting and creative use of cc.

Again, I never said there weren’t.

If you’ll look at what I typed a second time, you’ll see that my beef is with the mischaracterization of M+. I agree with you on everything about Vanilla dungeons. I played them all over and over for two years, and I’m going to go into Classic and voluntarily play them over and over for a second season.

There’s nothing wrong with Vanilla dungeons, and I fully support the return of dungeons like Dire Maul, Blackrock Depths, and Stratholme. I fully support the return of dungeons that force a time commitment from groups and bring lore, storytelling, and raid-prep level rewards.

You’re wrong about M+, and it’s wrong to say M+ is “gogogo.” It isn’t. It’s wrong to say M+ is an AoE smashfest that requires no cc, no skill, and no method, communication, or planning. That is all categorically incorrect. That is what I was refuting in my post.

There’s no dichotomy of either/or here. There’s no “M+ good/old dungeons bad,” and vice versa.

Valuing one does not mean we have to devalue the other. But maybe I’m just crazy for thinking that.

I like both. I want both. M+ didn’t break dungeons. They were broken long before M+ came along. Heirlooms and difficulty squish did that. M+ had nothing to do with it and is not comparable.

See you in Classic. I’ll be in the dungeons enjoying them, same as you.

You’re overly focused on the affix name and not the abilities that are applied to the mobs in question as a result of it.

To answer your question, in the room with Jammal’an the Prophet there are a number of mobs that when killed turn into a spirit that are immune to attacks but if they attack a player they will instantly kill that player. If one of these spirits aggroed a player, that player needed to run away, just as you described.

Again, you don’t seem to have engaged in this content to enough of a degree to adequately remember how it was played. You also seem to be under the impression that Classic Dungeons worked like they do today. That’s just plain wrong on your part.

Okay, so you’re just trolling. That room is nothing like the Reaping mechanic.

1 Like

This is a “drop the mic” post.

You clearly don’t know what the reaping mechanic is.

Don’t care. You’re just a guy with an opinion like all the rest of us. Your opinion is neither more valid or less valid than anyone else’s. You’re not any more or less of an authority on things than anyone else.

So you’re disputing that the complexity of the average raid tier has increased as the game has aged? Or are you just trying to cherry pick meaningless examples to argue that at one specific tier during one specific expansion that wasn’t so?

Somehow you turned my point about how classes are super easy and simplistic in comparison to now into an opportunity to stroke your ego about your parses. Cool? That doesn’t in any way, shape, or form address the point I made, but if you need a gold star for being a special snowflake more power to you.

I’m not saying that the experience of a dungeon isn’t different, it is, there are a lot of differences that make the dungeons fun. Complexity isn’t one of them. Arguing that it is just makes you seem stupid. As an easy example, most dungeons aren’t hard because there’s lots of mechanics, they’re hard because mobs span 7+ levels from start to finish. You can go in fighting level 21 mobs and end with a 28 boss as an example. If your average player in that group is 25, that puts the end of the dungeon almost in the “you can’t hit this mob with anything” range. That’s why they’re tough. That’s not a complicated mechanic. At the same time, if you go in to knock out quests and you’re all level 28 you’re going to blow through that dungeon like nothing. Source: I’m doing it right now in Classic.

Why do you keep cherry picking examples that aren’t relevant? We’re not comparing WoD and Retail, we’re comparing Retail and Classic.

2 Likes

Tell me, how much of the Reaping affix have you experienced on your main?

So now you’re going to pretend I’m pointing at your Baron example when I was explicit? Is that the mental gymnastics you have to do to “win”? I mean, I think the parts of my post you intentionally didn’t include make it very apparent I was talking about Baroness and your smug “here’s another example…” and was laughing at how trash of an example it actually was. You pointed at Baroness. You. She has 1 ability. LOL.

Exaclty. Classic is going to be awesome, but the “it was so much harder back then” argument is foolish.

By the way, Addons are in for Classic according to the wiki so that means Atlas Loot the addon that the Dungeon Journal is based on, Quest Helper the addon that quest map directions were based on and yes, oh yes, Deadly Boss Mods.
Sure, you can not use those addons, if you want the original experience, but they will be available to others.

1 Like

My opinion matters because I have first hand experience with raid content at the highest level of raiding. You do not.

You said the game has only gotten harder, I was telling you it in fact hasn’t it’s gotten easier in some aspects and on most raid tiers. You stated a fact, I’m teaching you like the child you are.

You said class play was a part of the games depth, like you only auto shot on classic, but retail has class depth, but it doesn’t. It’s a 1-3 button rotation tops on a optimal build and they’re easy to pick up.

Call someone who’s literally towering over you stupid, big brain. So it’s almost like knowing the dungeons is a level of difficulty you need to deal with. Doesn’t really change the fact that raiding isn’t leveling experience or lvl 20 dungeons. I was speaking more about max level dungeons.

They’re not cherry picked. I simply didn’t want to type a 20 page report on why you’re a complete moron. I could give you a detailed start to finish report on every boss fight ever released since Wotlk when I cleared heroic ICC as my first raid tier up until current, but I really don’t need to do that do I?

You’re the one replying to my statement about Baron Rivendare. Why would I list the abilities of Baroness if I’m talking about the 6 abilities of Baron?

You are seriously grasping at straws. And to be honest, I don’t know why. You’re so fixated on this belief that YOUR activity is better than MY activity. I don’t really care about your preferences. Run Mythic+ until you collapse if that’s what makes you happy, but don’t come into the damn thread trying to compare apple with oranges with some idea that apples are somehow the superior of the two. At the end of the day, it’s completely irrelevant to the topic as described in the damn OP.

Move on.

Dude, Reaping is a mechanic that creates mobs that have abilities. Mobs having abilities has been in the game since 2004. You’re elitist attitude doesn’t change that fact one single bit.

Will there be UI replacement Addons such as Bartender for Classic?

Some of you guys are coming across hyper aggressive. Take it down a notch or two. It’s ok if people remember things differently than you.

3 Likes

It will be fully addon compatible. People on my raid team are already making WA, UI addons etc.

If you use Curse(Twitch), it’s most likely going to have its own import tab there.

2 Likes

ElvUI is already working on their mod for Classic, so yes. /squeals and rubs hands together

1 Like

Just reporting and moving on. Nothing substantive and the bulk of it violates the forum code of conduct. If you want to actually have a discussion I’ll be here.

lol?

I’m not certain what you’re talking about. I haven’t stated anything even remotely close to that. Are you confusing me with someone else? My point is that vanilla boss fights aren’t complicated. In fact the vast majority of them are simpler than the least complex boss fights in Retail. Nothing more or less. You explicitly pointed at Baroness and used an example wherein she has a singular ability and the rest of the bullet points were tactical ways to deal with her singular ability as proof of fight complexity. It’s ridiculous.

1 Like

Oh man, its going to be so cool to see this old game get flattened by modern players. I can’t wait for the world first 60 race. I wonder if the guys behind Azeroth Auto Pilot are updating for Classic.